ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Carr

RhabdoWildcat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
I cannot for the life of me understand why Carr is projected as an undrafted free agent.

He showed his stuff on the field. We've seen how being a productive slot receiver is about technique rather than pure athletic numbers. He is not an off the field risk. If I were an NFL GM I'd get him in the 6 or 7th rounds.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Carr is projected as an undrafted free agent.

He showed his stuff on the field. We've seen how being a productive slot receiver is about technique rather than pure athletic numbers. He is not an off the field risk. If I were an NFL GM I'd get him in the 6 or 7th rounds.
I agree. But if I'm Austin Carr, and I don't get drafted in the first five rounds, I don't want to be drafted. There is almost no financial benefit to being drafted in the last two rounds, and by being a UFA, he can choose the team where he thinks he fits best.I have trouble believing that he won't find a team where he can play.

Because he ran in the low-4.6 range at the NU pro day. That speed would have put him squarely in the bottom quarter or so of WRs at this year's combine.

Collegiate production aside, a guy of Carr's size without elite speed will have a tough time against NFL DBs.

On-field college results are often overlooked in favor of "athleticism," real or perceived, by the NFL.

Edit: gcg beat me to it above.

On-field college results are often overlooked in favor of "athleticism," real or perceived, by the NFL.

Edit: gcg beat me to it above.
And there are UDFA's who make it in the NFL just because they are productive .tCombine measurable do not make an NFL player...production does. While many have the measurable those who don't and still make it ( Tom Brady, anyone??) exist. Can anyone say Tom Waddle? It's just getting your foot in the door that's needed. And, yes, I agree that his best chances as an UDFA for the choice to go somewhere. And , anyway, most teams need a singing piano player, don't they?

And there are UDFA's who make it in the NFL just because they are productive .tCombine measurable do not make an NFL player...production does. While many have the measurable those who don't and still make it ( Tom Brady, anyone??) exist. Can anyone say Tom Waddle? It's just getting your foot in the door that's needed. And, yes, I agree that his best chances as an UDFA for the choice to go somewhere. And , anyway, most teams need a singing piano player, don't they?

Oh, I agree with you - just saying that it's not surprising to me that Austin is being fairly ignored draft-wise, not saying that he can't sign as an UDFA and even have a productive (or great!) career.

Oh, I agree with you - just saying that it's not surprising to me that Austin is being fairly ignored draft-wise, not saying that he can't sign as an UDFA and even have a productive (or great!) career.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if a GM takes a flyer on him in the 7th round. At that point, it's essentially an NFL team saying "we want to ensure exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with this player."

However, even if the money is just a tick better, that's also not ideal for the player in that they lose all leverage in selecting the right opportunity. Perhaps instead of being able to choose a team without much WR depth, he would then be stuck on a team with plenty of depth and a worse chance to make even the practice squad.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if a GM takes a flyer on him in the 7th round. At that point, it's essentially an NFL team saying "we want to ensure exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with this player."

However, even if the money is just a tick better, that's also not ideal for the player in that they lose all leverage in selecting the right opportunity. Perhaps instead of being able to choose a team without much WR depth, he would then be stuck on a team with plenty of depth and a worse chance to make even the practice squad.

Face it, being drafted is better than not being drafted. Teams want to show that they know what they are doing draft-wise, and a draft pick gets every benefit of the doubt.

Face it, being drafted is better than not being drafted. Teams want to show that they know what they are doing draft-wise, and a draft pick gets every benefit of the doubt.

I do not believe that is always the case, at least from the players' perspective. Teams don't blink at cutting mid-round draft picks if it is clearly not working out, to say nothing of a 6th or 7th rounder.

He will play for years in the NFL! He is sensational! New England will take him and win a few Super Bowls

I do not believe that is always the case, at least from the players' perspective. Teams don't blink at cutting mid-round draft picks if it is clearly not working out, to say nothing of a 6th or 7th rounder.
Most 6th and 7th rounders probably do not make it through camp. Their best chance is to get seen by other teams or make it to practice squad.

Carr ran faster than, Cooper Kupp, one of the highest rated WRs in this draft.

And notice how you haven't seen Kupp mentioned as a late first round prospect nearly as often after his 4.6 40?

How often does a WR get tested in college like the day 3 1st round NFL DBs couldn't contain AC in C-bus last year?

Somebody will be smart enough to sign AC.

GOUNUII

How often does a WR get tested in college like the day 3 1st round NFL DBs couldn't contain AC in C-bus last year?

GOUNUII

Routinely.

Carr should get a shot one way or another.

GOUNUII
Well, Carr was fast enough to light up an Ohio State secondary that likely had two top 10 picks. His footwork on the sidelines was as good as almost any receiver I have seen. I hope he gets a chance with a team that can use him. I think he will be hard to cut.

And notice how you haven't seen Kupp mentioned as a late first round prospect nearly as often after his 4.6 40?
Big difference between Kupp not being talked about as a first round pick and Carr being projected as a late round pick/UDFA. I don't disagree that those are accurate draft projections but speed alone cannot explain the difference in draft projections between these two players.

He was the byproduct of Thorson throwing a great 15 yard out route. In the NFL he will be tough for backers to cover since he runs great routes and knows where the sticks are but only QBs who can throw the precision middle routes can get the ball to him. Brady, Brees, etc. So his options are limited as there are only a handful of qbs who can dance with him. In my opinion, his nfl career will resemble Colters plus a very small bump upwards.

He will play for years in the NFL! He is sensational! New England will take him and win a few Super Bowls
I hope he fulfills all of his dreams. However, he has had a severe concussion and is an exceptional young man off the field. It would not be so bad if he were to become successful in business, politics, or another field in which his talents, at least equally as impressive as his skills on the field, might be utilized.

He was the byproduct of Thorson throwing a great 15 yard out route. In the NFL he will be tough for backers to cover since he runs great routes and knows where the sticks are but only QBs who can throw the precision middle routes can get the ball to him. Brady, Brees, etc. So his options are limited as there are only a handful of qbs who can dance with him. In my opinion, his nfl career will resemble Colters plus a very small bump upwards.

Most NFL QB's can make this throw.

I hope to hear this next season: Siemian to Carr for six!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT