ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Championship: Early Line

We have them where we want them

Unless we turn it over a bunch, I don't see the Bucks scoring 20 on us.
You never learn, do you? Every year same bull. Northwestern is the only thing standing in OSU way to the playoffs. Not a chance in hell. Two weeks to prepare with everybody ready to play.

[/QUOT

Unless we turn it over a bunch, I don't see the Bucks scoring 20 on us.
Right. Did you forget to take your daily medications? The highest ranked offense NW played this year is Wisconsin, ranked #61 in the nation The other NW opponents : Maryland #64, Purdue #68, Illinois #82, Iowa #84, Nebraska #86 and Michigan St #115. FYI, OSU is #6.

I think it's fair to say the Cats have not faced an offense remotely close to what OSU will field on the 19th.

Reactions: mikero3 and hdhntr1
You never learn, do you? Every year same bull. Northwestern is the only thing standing in OSU way to the playoffs. Not a chance in hell. Two weeks to prepare with everybody ready to play.

2 weeks of partying = COVID forfeiture for bucknuts. Hope not, but wouldn’t be surprising.

Reactions: rmndcat
This is a good OSU team, but I don’t get the love. Penn State hung with them, Indiana could have beaten them and their other three wins weren’t that impressive. Don’t get me wrong.. Their QB is one of the greatest college QBs I’ve ever seen and they have some stud WRs. Their OL is pretty good and their RBs are solid. Their D is above average in the B1G, but their front 4 is pedestrian and their DB play may be bottom quartile of the BIG.

This is nowhere close to the big bad Buckeye team I saw last year and isn’t even as good as the 2018 Buckeye team that beat NU in championship 2 years ago. They’re good enough to be healthy favorites against NU in the B1G championship, but it would hardly take a miracle to beat these bastards with some great play and a few breaks.

2 weeks of partying = COVID forfeiture for bucknuts. Hope not, but wouldn’t be surprising.
No, not going to happen they know what the prize they are after that's what they have been working for. They expected to be here. Did Northwestern? OSU players come to play for championships and will be completely focused

This is a good OSU team, but I don’t get the love. Penn State hung with them, Indiana could have beaten them and their other three wins weren’t that impressive. Don’t get me wrong. Their QB is one of the greatest college QBs I’ve ever seen and they have some stud WRs. Their OL is pretty good and their RBs are solid. Their D is above average in the B1G, but their front 4 is pedestrian and their DB play may be bottom quartile of the BIG.

This is nowhere close to the big bad Buckeye team I saw last year and isn’t even as good as the 2018 Buckeye team that beat NU in the championship 2 years ago. They’re good enough to be healthy favorites against NU in the B1G championship, but it would hardly take a miracle to beat these bastards with some great play and a few breaks.
Keep DREAMING manhandled Michigan State short-handed played a lot of young second-teamers PSU game was never in doubt.OSU was ahead of Indiana 35 TO 7 in the third quarter. Took the foot off the pedal Indiana QB got hot played the game of his life. What did he do next game then got hurt.OSU young secondary changed some of their coverage and 4 and 5-star recruits were worked in two weeks to work on a scheme Keep hoping. And top-class coming in again.

This is a good OSU team, but I don’t get the love. Penn State hung with them, Indiana could have beaten them and their other three wins weren’t that impressive. Don’t get me wrong.. Their QB is one of the greatest college QBs I’ve ever seen and they have some stud WRs. Their OL is pretty good and their RBs are solid. Their D is above average in the B1G, but their front 4 is pedestrian and their DB play may be bottom quartile of the BIG.

This is nowhere close to the big bad Buckeye team I saw last year and isn’t even as good as the 2018 Buckeye team that beat NU in championship 2 years ago. They’re good enough to be healthy favorites against NU in the B1G championship, but it would hardly take a miracle to beat these bastards with some great play and a few breaks.

OK - who's waiting for one of these dOSU yahoos to come in here and tell MR he knows nothing about football? I kind of like "And how many Rose Bowls have you played in?" as a response, but MR certainly doesn't need help from any of us.

Keep DREAMING manhandled Michigan State short-handed played a lot of young second-teamers PSU game was never in doubt.OSU was ahead of Indiana 35 TO 7 in the third quarter. Took the foot off the pedal Indiana QB got hot played the game of his life. What did he do next game then got hurt.OSU young secondary changed some of their coverage and 4 and 5-star recruits were worked in two weeks to work on a scheme Keep hoping. And top-class coming in again.

I guess we’ll see, Orkie. In your honest opinion, how does this year’s buckeye team compare to last year’s team? IMO, last year’s buckeye team would have won the national title had Fields not gotten a bum wheel.

I’m not saying this year’s OSU team isn’t a very good team. I’m just saying they’re very mortal, which means they have flaws that can be exploited.

Last edited:
I guess we’ll see, Orkie. In your honest opinion, how does this year’s buckeye team compare to last year’s team? IMO, last year’s buckeye team would have won the national title had Field’s not gotten a bum wheel.

I’m not saying this year’s OSU team isn’t a very good team. I’m just saying they’re very mortal, which means they have flaws that can be exploited.
All 4 and 5 stars baby!!! The only time anyone tackles any of their guys is if they let them! The only time any team gains a yard against them is because they let them! The most obnoxious fan base in all of sports.

Reactions: drewjin
All 4 and 5 stars baby!!! The only time anyone tackles any of their guys is if they let them! The only time any team gains a yard against them is because they let them! The most obnoxious fan base in all of sports.

Now, you are beginning to understand why I hate these fools. It would be one thing if it was just that they were obnoxiously arrogant. It's another that they don't realize or care that it's all at the expense of selling their soul by promoting institutional academic fraud, cheating, and exploitation of student athletes. All for the sake of winning on the field. And that they don't realize that their wins mean little and are tainted and downright disgusting given the dirty and rancid way they achieve them.

#HATEOHIOSTATE

Now, you are beginning to understand why I hate these fools. It would be one thing if it was just that they were obnoxiously arrogant. It's another that they don't realize or care that it's all at the expense of selling their soul by promoting institutional academic fraud, cheating, and exploitation of student athletes. All for the sake of winning on the field. And that they don't realize that their wins mean little and are tainted and downright disgusting given the dirty and rancid way they achieve them.

#HATEOHIOSTATE
E-Cat: I doubt if they’re ready to hear the truth.

Reactions: EvanstonCat

#HATEOHIOSTATE
How do I "Like" this multiple times?

X

#HATEOHIOSTATE
They are the evil empire.

The two programs are simply not comparable. You root for a football program with some true student athletes, but also with significant number of players who are paid for their services, who don’t go to class and/or have their class work done for them and who are basically meat on the hoof. Some of your players will go on to play in “the league,” but a significant number of your players will end their football careers at OSU and then will not graduate from OSU. You are the scourge of the B1G. Please, leave the B1G and join the SEC, where you belong.

MR knows nothing about football? And how many Rose Bowls have you played in?

😂

I'm going back and watching some of OSU's highlights. While I know nothing about gameplanning, I can see they are really good, and could easily beat us by a lot if we play like crap. But, Indiana made so many mistakes in that game - so no, they did not have the game of their lives.

I'm also seeing a lot about how we don't have the receivers to take advantage of OSU's weak DBs. It's true, we don't have a Ty Fryfogle, but on several plays, Fryfogle was just completely missed from the snap. They have breakdowns, just like they did against the run in 2018. Anyone remember John Moten's TD run? I mean he had speed, but was he a player we thought was elite? No. Any division 1 college player could have gotten open against the OSU secondary that showed up against Indiana. Maybe they've cleaned that up, but it's tough to say. It's only two games ago.

Defensively, we'd like to think around here we're elite against the pass. Time for us to prove it. We're not going to pressure Fields, so just spy and contain him, and I would frustrate him because he has nowhere to pass. I would try to limit big running plays (20+), but if Ohio State runs for some first downs, fine.

I think they want to beat us by 50. They'll want to throw the beautiful passes and 70 yard QB scrambles. On several plays, Indiana dropped everyone back and Fields still forced the ball into situations he shouldn't have. Exploit the motivation, hit them any chance you get, and see what happens.

Reactions: SLUCATS210
Why does tOSU need this special treatment?
If you read their boards, they actually want more games and would like to play this weekend. Many of their coaches, players, and fans think that with only 5 games played, they're not really in mid season form - especially with all of the breaks between games. They were speculating on who they could possibly get to get some playing time this weekend.

Last edited:

If you go to Eleven Warriors or the O-Zone (Buckeye sites), one of their biggest complaints - in fact their one big complaint - is that OSU gets complacent in games this year. The Indiana and Rutgers games were used as reference. They were up HUGE on Indiana - 35-7 - and for some reason it looked like they took their gas off the pedal. But in all fairness, Pennix was unreal with some of his pin point passes. That kid is really good and will be a problem for any B1G team if he returns next year.

The same with Rutgers. They were really crushing Rutgers and for some reason - again - took their foot off the pedal in the 2nd half even though Rutgers was never really in the game. . Even their HC Day noted this ongoing problem and supposedly vowed to get it straightened out. We'll see. They were in charge all the way in the PSU game which was never in doubt. My opinion: OSU has some mental midgets playing at times but physically very talented.

You guys can keep it close - and maybe spring the upset - but - IMHO - it's going to take a superb passing attack to do it. Their offense is simply explosive and can and will score on anyone in the country. Their defense though....... I don't however, look for OSU to get "complacent" in this game though. Their one weakness seems to be their defensive secondary which has a ton of new players this year - their thinnest spot on the team. Well, for them anyways. But you guys have probably, IMO, the best coach in the conference going for you - certainly in the top 2 or 3. He's also one of the top 5 or 10 in the country. You guys very seldom beat yourselves.

Last edited:
I'm going back and watching some of OSU's highlights. While I know nothing about gameplanning, I can see they are really good, and could easily beat us by a lot if we play like crap. But, Indiana made so many mistakes in that game - so no, they did not have the game of their lives.

I'm also seeing a lot about how we don't have the receivers to take advantage of OSU's weak DBs. It's true, we don't have a Ty Fryfogle, but on several plays, Fryfogle was just completely missed from the snap. They have breakdowns, just like they did against the run in 2018. Anyone remember John Moten's TD run? I mean he had speed, but was he a player we thought was elite? No. Any division 1 college player could have gotten open against the OSU secondary that showed up against Indiana. Maybe they've cleaned that up, but it's tough to say. It's only two games ago.

Defensively, we'd like to think around here we're elite against the pass. Time for us to prove it. We're not going to pressure Fields, so just spy and contain him, and I would frustrate him because he has nowhere to pass. I would try to limit big running plays (20+), but if Ohio State runs for some first downs, fine.

I think they want to beat us by 50. They'll want to throw the beautiful passes and 70 yard QB scrambles. On several plays, Indiana dropped everyone back and Fields still forced the ball into situations he shouldn't have. Exploit the motivation, hit them any chance you get, and see what happens.
Fields is superb, much more likely to hurt you with his arm than legs. With Wilson and Olave at WR, I think he does us a favor if he tucks it a lot. Those 2 WR’s scare the heck out of me .

If you go to Eleven Warriors or the O-Zone (Buckeye sites), one of their biggest complaints - in fact their one big complaint - is that OSU gets complacent in games this year. The Indiana and Rutgers games were used as reference. They were up HUGE on Indiana - 35-7 - and for some reason it looked like they took their gas off the pedal. But in all fairness, Pennix was unreal with some of his pin point passes. That kid is really good and will be a problem for any B1G team if he returns next year.

The same with Rutgers. They were really crushing Rutgers and for some reason - again - took their foot off the pedal in the 2nd half even though Rutgers was never really in the game. . Even their HC Day noted this ongoing problem and supposedly vowed to get it straightened out. We'll see. They were in charge all the way in the PSU game which was never in doubt. My opinion: OSU has some mental midgets playing at times but physically very talented.

You guys can keep it close - and maybe spring the upset - but - IMHO - it's going to take a superb passing attack to do it. Their offense is simply explosive and can and will score on anyone in the country. Their defense though....... I don't however, look for OSU to get "complacent" in this game though. Their one weakness seems to be their defensive secondary which has a ton of new players this year - their thinnest spot on the team. Well, for them anyways. But you guys have probably, IMO, the best coach in the conference going for you - certainly in the top 2 or 3. He's also one of the top 5 or 10 in the country. You guys very seldom beat yourselves.

True for Rutgers. But I don't think complacency fully explains 35-7 over IU. They were a ref-caused fumble inside the 10 yard line from that game potentially being 21-14. They also fumbled back an interception, all in that second quarter. The Hoosiers were really sloppy, but when they played cleanly, they were right there. We don't have quite as much leeway to fall behind like Indiana can in order to make a game of it.

Fields is superb, much more likely to hurt you with his arm than legs. With Wilson and Olave at WR, I think he does us a favor if he tucks it a lot. Those 2 WR’s scare the heck out of me .

Basically my point. Make them beat us running the ball, and do everything in our power to cover Wilson/Olave.

True for Rutgers. But I don't think complacency fully explains 35-7 over IU. They were a ref-caused fumble inside the 10 yard line from that game potentially being 21-14. They also fumbled back an interception, all in that second quarter. The Hoosiers were really sloppy, but when they played cleanly, they were right there. We don't have quite as much leeway to fall behind like Indiana can in order to make a game of it.
Agree, somewhat on Indiana but hard to point to refs and certain breaks in games as OSU fans pointed to the same - sloppy play and breaks. My point- refs and breaks are a two-way street and usually evens out over the course of a game and season Even with all of the "what ifs" and IU incredible passing stats, OSU still won the total stats comparison, And like I said, IU's passing game exposed the Buckeye weakness - pass defense. But if you look at any top teams - year in and year out - they get stronger as the year goes on. Bama, OSU, Clemson and a couple of others usually lose a ton of underclassmen to the NFL and have to replace them with somewhat inexperienced players the following year. The time to beat them is at the beginning of the season. I truly believe that's the reason OSU waxes Michigan's ass every year (16 out of the last 17) - their new 4 & 5 star players finally have some experience by that last game.

For all of the above reasons, and your outstanding coach, I truly believe you have a shot at them. I think they're a lot more beatable after only 5 games than the 12th game in a regular season.

I guess we’ll see, Orkie. In your honest opinion, how does this year’s buckeye team compare to last year’s team? IMO, last year’s buckeye team would have won the national title had Fields not gotten a bum wheel.

I'm not orkie, but I can give you my perspective.
This years team is obviously not as good as last years. The defense lost a ton of players and the offense lost a great running back.

The idea was that with a spring to workout, then a regular fall practice schedule and a regular season of games, that by this time the defense would have had time to get into shape, and the runnung backs would have time to to get into a grove. Sermon is the big issue. He has had no time to really get the feel of the offense. since he is a transfer. Teague is coming off an injury and is getting better every week but no where near where OSU fans had hoped.

The passing attack is incredible and that helps open up lanes for the running backs. And of course Fields is incredible as long as he doesn't make dumb mistakes like he did against Indiana. It's like he lost his mind in that game. Forcing things he should not have, and he admitted as such. Indiana has an unconventional pass rush and I think it spooked Fields.

Anyway, I hope to see improvement in the championship game against NU. But I don't see this team being ready for Alabama or Clemson in the playoffs if they get there. They just don't have enough game experience yet. I can always hope for an upset but I see them as one and out unless they make MAJOR improvements over the next few weeks before playoff time.

Reactions: MRCat95
I'm not orkie, but I can give you my perspective.
This years team is obviously not as good as last years. The defense lost a ton of players and the offense lost a great running back.

The idea was that with a spring to workout, then a regular fall practice schedule and a regular season of games, that by this time the defense would have had time to get into shape, and the runnung backs would have time to to get into a grove. Sermon is the big issue. He has had no time to really get the feel of the offense. since he is a transfer. Teague is coming off an injury and is getting better every week but no where near where OSU fans had hoped.

The passing attack is incredible and that helps open up lanes for the running backs. And of course Fields is incredible as long as he doesn't make dumb mistakes like he did against Indiana. It's like he lost his mind in that game. Forcing things he should not have, and he admitted as such. Indiana has an unconventional pass rush and I think it spooked Fields.

Anyway, I hope to see improvement in the championship game against NU. But I don't see this team being ready for Alabama or Clemson in the playoffs if they get there. They just don't have enough game experience yet. I can always hope for an upset but I see them as one and out unless they make MAJOR improvements over the next few weeks before playoff time.

That’s pretty fair. This OSU team is extremely talented. They just don’t have a lot of time to put it all together as time is the most finite resource in the universe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT