ADVERTISEMENT

B1G OFFICIALLY adding Oregon, Washington; Clemson & FSU next?

Not seeing this anywhere and never heard of scoop city. But, it is silly season. Keep us off the front page

great deke by petitti at media days!

"All the direction I'm getting from leadership — our presidents and chancellors and our athletic directors — is to focus on USC and UCLA," he said when asked about the potential for additional expansion. "We have a lot of work to do there. I'm proud of the scheduling format we created in football. I think it touches on all the right things. But we have significant work to do in scheduling for our other sports, especially our olympic sports, to come up with the best solutions. We have a good plan in motion. I think we'll learn from it. Like anything, there'll be tweaks and changes. But overall, that's really where we are. I'm not getting direction to do anything else other than that in terms of what the conference looks like right now."

great deke by petitti at media days!

"All the direction I'm getting from leadership — our presidents and chancellors and our athletic directors — is to focus on USC and UCLA," he said when asked about the potential for additional expansion. "We have a lot of work to do there. I'm proud of the scheduling format we created in football. I think it touches on all the right things. But we have significant work to do in scheduling for our other sports, especially our olympic sports, to come up with the best solutions. We have a good plan in motion. I think we'll learn from it. Like anything, there'll be tweaks and changes. But overall, that's really where we are. I'm not getting direction to do anything else other than that in terms of what the conference looks like right now."
The best way to deal with USC & UCLA is to add more West Coast schools.

The options are Oregon, Washington, the Arizonas, Cal, Stanford, Utah… and not much else.

Let’s apply Occam’s razor: the Big Ten have to either add two or four more west coast teams. UO and Washington make the most sense by far. Cal and Stanford would both be huge stretches. Neither Arizona school makes sense.

Clemson & FSU will get wrecked in the SEC. They’re dying to get into the B1G. And the time to make a deal is soon.

Notre Dame’s not coming, so we can get the next best 4.

Athlon sports reports same rumor
star trek spock GIF

I doubt he even still has a blue Twitter check mark. He can’t afford the $8 a month.
Sir Yacht is a respected influencer of hoards of deranged, delusional, northeastern Ohio sports fans. Your typically well hidden coastal bias is betraying you, CatMan True. Sir Yacht was bestowed his Twitter ‘X’, proudly, by Elon, himself.
This message has been brought to your by Pravda and it’s server farms.

Reactions: zanycat
The best way to deal with USC & UCLA is to add more West Coast schools.

The options are Oregon, Washington, the Arizonas, Cal, Stanford, Utah… and not much else.

Let’s apply Occam’s razor: the Big Ten have to either add two or four more west coast teams. UO and Washington make the most sense by far. Cal and Stanford would both be huge stretches. Neither Arizona school makes sense.

Clemson & FSU will get wrecked in the SEC. They’re dying to get into the B1G. And the time to make a deal is soon.

Notre Dame’s not coming, so we can get the next best 4.
This is dumb on many levels. First point being FSU, Clemson aren’t going anywhere anytime soon (like a decade). Secondly, Clemson is not BIG material. If you are going to raid the ACC, take the best universities: UVA, UNC.

FSU is interesting in they it would put the BIG flag into SEC territory and open up florida to additional recruiting, but I seriously doubt the boosters down in Tallahassee want to trace to west Lafayette and dea Moines

This is dumb on many levels. First point being FSU, Clemson aren’t going anywhere anytime soon (like a decade). Secondly, Clemson is not BIG material. If you are going to raid the ACC, take the best universities: UVA, UNC.

FSU is interesting in they it would put the BIG flag into SEC territory and open up florida to additional recruiting, but I seriously doubt the boosters down in Tallahassee want to trace to west Lafayette and dea Moines
I would not be so sure. As things start to fall apart and it becomes likely that ACC as currently formulated won't survive programs will want to get their place as the deck chairs are taken away. And if Clemson and FSU decide to move, the sweetheart deal ND arranged won't be worth much. And at present BIG has nothing in Des Moines

Reactions: drewjin
Not a single reputable source (McMurphy, Thamel, Dellenger, etc) is reporting this. Last time you started a thread breaking something in realignment, the source was Greg Swaim (who has been widely considered the biggest joke among people who follow this stuff for over 12 years) and predictably none of it came true. At some point, it would be wise to review how you're evaluating sources.

• Haha
Reactions: DCWildcatRedux
I would not be so sure. As things start to fall apart and it becomes likely that ACC as currently formulated won't survive programs will want to get their place as the deck chairs are taken away. And if Clemson and FSU decide to move, the sweetheart deal ND arranged won't be worth much. And at present BIG has nothing in Des Moines
As things start to fall apart? From whose perspective? The ACC owns FSU’s media rights until 2036. FSU can leave the conference anytime thru want but their media rights stay with the ACC. The only way that changes is if FSU rights a massive check that is sufficient to the ACC to release the rights (hundreds of millions of dollars) or if the conference dissolves.

If you are WF, Syracuse, BC, Duke, (and I would probably add Va Tech and NC Stare) you are not dissolving the conference.

This whole thread is people who don’t know what they are talking about wildly speculating on things that aren’t going to happen. I guess that’s what the internet is for.

Lastly, the crown jewel of the ACC is not FSU or Clemson, it’s UNC.

As things start to fall apart? From whose perspective? The ACC owns FSU’s media rights until 2036. FSU can leave the conference anytime thru want but their media rights stay with the ACC. The only way that changes is if FSU rights a massive check that is sufficient to the ACC to release the rights (hundreds of millions of dollars) or if the conference dissolves.

If you are WF, Syracuse, BC, Duke, (and I would probably add Va Tech and NC Stare) you are not dissolving the conference.

This whole thread is people who don’t know what they are talking about wildly speculating on things that aren’t going to happen. I guess that’s what the internet is for.

Sorry but it looks like we are moving to a power two conferences and ACC is not one of them. And, from what we saw from when Maryland and Rutgers joined the BIG, those things can get worked out. The game is now about adding TV markets and if they (those programs) see it in their best interest to move, they will as media rights in BIG are worth a lot more. They would negotiate some kind of settlement. As far as the programs you listed as staying in ACC, for the most part, they really do not have a choice. And hard to say NC is the crown jewel in the ACC as FB is a bigger draw and more important than BB at this point, If you doubt it, look what happened the Big East.

Reactions: hoosboot
Sorry but it looks like we are moving to a power two conferences and ACC is not one of them. And, from what we saw from when Maryland and Rutgers joined the BIG, those things can get worked out. The game is now about adding TV markets and if they (those programs) see it in their best interest to move, they will as media rights in BIG are worth a lot more. They would negotiate some kind of settlement. As far as the programs you listed as staying in ACC, for the most part, they really do not have a choice. And hard to say NC is the crown jewel in the ACC as FB is a bigger draw and more important than BB at this point, If you doubt it, look what happened the Big East.
“Negotiate some kind of settlement.” The exit fee to leave is $120 million. That does not include the GOR. There are still 13 year left. You are looking at half a billion.

And again, the ACC has to agree to release FSU from the GoR . Why would they? As soon as FSU and Clemson leave, ACC football would be comparable to the sun belt. The have nots will never agree to release the rights.

Fsu signed a bad deal so the ACC could get its own network. They are stuck.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

I’d rather have UNC than Clemson too.

Wetzel on Yahoo: LINK

What does everyone think when reading this line from the article...

"While contracts are not signed, deals have been agreed to in principle. Big Ten presidents met Friday morning to discuss expansion and settled concerns about increased travel and the logistics of an 18-team conference."

What a great representative NU gets to send. I asked about us, but what could the other pres be thinking looking at our guy?

They haven’t truly competed for a national championship in over 30 years.

Everytime they make the playoffs, they get destroyed. Irrelevant.
@CoralSpringsCat is partially correct. Kelly righted the ship and had some top 10 finishes, which is relevant. Allow me to rephrase. They are for less relevant than we (and others) make them to be
If they'd have been in the B1G East the last dozen years, they'd have been fighting for third place.

@CoralSpringsCat is partially correct. Kelly righted the ship and had some top 10 finishes, which is relevant. Allow me to rephrase. They are for less relevant than we (and others) make them to be
If they'd have been in the B1G East the last dozen years, they'd have been fighting for third place.
And that's exactly why they won't join a conference.

Someone on the radio said this. They'd rather be ranked 22nd, miss the CFP and be 10-3 or 9-4 than be 3rd in the BIG East division or SEC West/East.

With the addition of Washington and Oregon, combined with the end of divisional play, there will be the exciting prospect of a scandal-ridden NU team finishing last among 18 teams.

With the addition of Washington and Oregon, combined with the end of divisional play, there will be the exciting prospect of a scandal-ridden NU team finishing last among 18 teams.
The right coach will fix the program up.

The question is, do we trust Gragg to hire him?

“Negotiate some kind of settlement.” The exit fee to leave is $120 million. That does not include the GOR. There are still 13 year left. You are looking at half a billion.

And again, the ACC has to agree to release FSU from the GoR . Why would they? As soon as FSU and Clemson leave, ACC football would be comparable to the sun belt. The have nots will never agree to release the rights.

Fsu signed a bad deal so the ACC could get its own network. They are stuck.
Happens all the time. Bad contracts might slow things down a bit but they would not stop them if FSU saw that they had no real future in ACC and did see a future in BIG. And any settlement would be far less, Depending on how much BIG wanted them, they could even assist. Depends on whatever the people involved see the future to be.

Reality is that we are seeing a consolidation into two superconferences (BIG and SEC) and programs will want to insure their future. ACC will likely have a hard time keeping up and only a couple teams would have the credentials to be desirable to either of the super conferences, And like it or not they will do what is in their best interest and that is to probably move. I am not saying I like it. In the long run, I see it as being bad but it does not mater what you or I want

The only thing I care about ND is that I wish people would STFU about them. They are irrelevant.
Not yet but if a couple big schools leave the ACC they would likely have to join a conference or become irrelevent

Happens all the time. Bad contracts might slow things down a bit but they would not stop them if FSU saw that they had no real future in ACC and did see a future in BIG. And any settlement would be far less, Depending on how much BIG wanted them, they could even assist. Depends on whatever the people involved see the future to be.

Reality is that we are seeing a consolidation into two superconferences (BIG and SEC) and programs will want to insure their future. ACC will likely have a hard time keeping up and only a couple teams would have the credentials to be desirable to either of the super conferences, And like it or not they will do what is in their best interest and that is to probably move. I am not saying I like it. In the long run, I see it as being bad but it does not mater what you or I want
People are truly dense. The ACC owns the rights. They have zero incentive to
Take a penny less than what they are owed (roughly $400 million). “Bad contract” is bad for FSU, not ACC.

The right coach will fix the program up.

The question is, do we trust Gragg to hire him?
Maybe so, but you're not going to resurrect a program that's gone 3-9 and 1-11 BEFORE all this stuff broke overnight, especially with the end of divisions. And those programs they're adding from the West aren't exactly the little sisters of the poor. We've had Hall of Fame coaches who've barely managed to go over .500 at NU.

Maybe so, but you're not going to resurrect a program that's gone 3-9 and 1-11 BEFORE all this stuff broke overnight, especially with the end of divisions. And those programs they're adding from the West aren't exactly the little sisters of the poor. We've had Hall of Fame coaches who've barely managed to go over .500 at NU.

Sounds like what they were saying about NU basketball before Chris Collins. Bill Foster and Tex Winter were actually HOF coaches. Then you had Rich Falk, Kevin O’Neil, and Bill Carmody too, who were highly regarded at one time or another. They said this was as good as we ever could be, we could never make the NCAAs, and expecting to be better was futile.

What hogwash.

Especially since it’s been proven to be so ALREADY, when NU football has actually won 3 B1G titles in the span of 6 years. That’s what happens when you actually get a great coach (which I’m not sure Pat Fitzgerald, who led us to that 4-20 record is) who can recruit top 20 classes (without the benefit of a $250M facility or track record of competitiveness), that maybe we can land AGAIN the next time around.

Take a penny less than what they are owed (roughly $400 million). “Bad contract” is bad for FSU, not ACC.
Correct.
Though the Big 10 could buy out the whole ACC….

Reactions: hdhntr1
Sounds like what they were saying about NU basketball before Chris Collins. Bill Foster and Tex Winter were actually HOF coaches. Then you had Rich Falk, Kevin O’Neil, and Bill Carmody too, who were highly regarded at one time or another. They said this was as good as we ever could be, we could never make the NCAAs, and expecting to be better was futile.

What hogwash.

Especially since it’s been proven to be so ALREADY, when NU football has actually won 3 B1G titles in the span of 6 years. That’s what happens when you actually get a great coach (which I’m not sure Pat Fitzgerald, who led us to that 4-20 record is) who can recruit top 20 classes (without the benefit of a $250M facility or track record of competitiveness), that maybe we can land AGAIN the next time around.
Agree. I also think the latest conference realignment will help NU’s chances of landing a good coach as coaches will now need to play musical chairs trying to land a coveted seat at either SEC or B1G table.

I am appreciative of the conference expansion as it puts the NU hazing story in the review mirror of the news cycles.

Sorry but if an FSU sees no future in ACC and sees deck chairs disappearing, they would find a way to make the move, And you have already seen that some of the programs in ACC are talking to lawyers to see if they can get out from under the GOR. If it is important enough to them, they will find a way to get it done

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT