ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Classic Rose Bowl

So thankful I had the opportunity to attend the ‘96 Rose Bowl. Despite the outcome it was such a magical experience. We could get matched up someday by chance in the RB with a former PAC team. With super conferences, there may end up being matchups of teams within conferences, perhaps if they didn’t play each other during the season.

So thankful I had the opportunity to attend the ‘96 Rose Bowl. Despite the outcome it was such a magical experience. We could get matched up someday by chance in the RB with a former PAC team. With super conferences, there may end up being matchups of teams within conferences, perhaps if they didn’t play each other during the season.
It's certainly possible for a RB game with a former Pac team (we get UCLA there every few years, if nothing else). But it won't be the same.

Bet the Rose Bowl rep’s are really soured about the Michigan versus Alabama matchup this year.
Yeah I think the Rose Bowl reps view this year as the perfect transition to the 12 team playoff:

They'll hope to host the Big Ten champion vs another high quality SEC/ACC/Big 12 team as a quarterfinal game every year.

Michigan v Alabama is the perfect lead to the next era.

Big Ten champion will likely be sent to Rose Bowl at a decent clip:

This year's Rose Bowl in a 12 team format would probably be Michigan as bye host vs winner of Oregon vs Missouri (8v9 matchup).

Given the locations of other bowls, Big Ten champion to Rose (or Fiesta), SEC champion to Peach/Sugar/Cotton, Big 12 champion to Cotton/Fiesta, ACC champion to Orange/Peach makes a lot of sense.

I love that B1G commercial that starts the conference in Pasadena and crosses the nation before finishing at Rutgers, with unnamed Purdue astronaut hovering to the top of the screen.

It’s absolutely true that something has been lost in the name of progress. I hope we get enough bonkers games in the first season of 12 that it’s worth it. Weird that games will be played when school isn’t in session.

Of course, the last two Rose Bowls that were traditional matchups featured…Utah, with less than a decade in the Pac-##.

Notably, Nebraska never represented the B1G in the Rose Bowl. lolololololololol

Reactions: rmndcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT