ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Players in the Portal 2022

CappyNU

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2004
Chicago
Guess it's time to start this up again...

UPDATED: 5/18/22 - 8:00 AM EST

Total D1 Players in the Portal: 1637 (4.57 players/team)
% of Scholarships in the Portal: 30.60% (213 walk-ons)

B1G Players in the Portal: 36 (2.57 players/team)
% of Scholarships in the Portal: 16.48% (6 walk-ons)
B1G incoming players from Portal: 20 (1.43 players/team)

Illinois - 4/2
(-)

Andre Curbelo (St. John's)
Omar Payne (Jacksonville)
Brandin Podziemski (Santa Clara)
Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk (South Carolina)
(+)
Dain Dainja (Baylor)
Terrence Shannon Jr. (Texas Tech)

Indiana - 4/0
(-)

Michael Durr (UCF)
Khristian Lander (Western Kentucky)
Rob Phinisee (Cincinnati)
Parker Stewart (UT-Martin)
(+)

Iowa - 2/0

(-)
Joe Toussaint (West Virginia)
Josh Ogundele (Withdrawn from portal)
Austin Ash (Walk-on)
(+)

Maryland - 3/2
(-)

James Graham III (Missouri St.)
Marcus Dockery (Howard)
Qudus Wahab
(+)
Jahmir Young (Charlotte)
Donald Carey (Georgetown)

Michigan - 3/1
(-)

Zeb Jackson (VCU)
Brandon Johns (VCU)
Frankie Collins (Arizona St.)
(+)
Jaelin Llewellyn (Princeton)

Michigan State - 3/0
(-)

Peter Nwoke (Walk-on)
Davis Smith (Walk-on)
Julius Marble II (Texas A&M)
(+)

Minnesota - 1/3
(-)

Abdoulaye Thiam
(+)
Dawson Garcia (UNC)
Ta'lon Cooper (Morehead St.)
Taurus Samuels (Dartmouth)

Nebraska - 5/3
(-)

Eduardo Andre (Fresno St.)
Keon Edwards
Trevor Lakes (Southern Indiana - D2)
Jackson Cronin (Walk-on)
Jace Piatkowski (Walk-on)
(+)
Sam Griesel (North Dakota St.)
Juwan Gary (Alabama)
Emmanuel Bandoumel (SMU)

Northwestern - 2/1
(-)

Ryan Young (Duke)
Pete Nance
(+)
Tydus Verhoeven (UTEP)

Ohio State - 2/3
(-)

Justin Ahrens (Loyola Marymount)
Meechie Johnson (South Carolina)
(+)
Tanner Holden (Wright State)
Sean McNeil (West Virginia)
Isaac Likekele (Oklahoma St.)

Penn State - 1/2
(-)

Sam Sessoms (Coppin St.)
Irekefe Oweh (Walk-on)
(+)
Andrew Funk (Bucknell)
Camren Wynter (Drexel)

Purdue - 2/0
(-)
Isaiah Thompson (FGCU)
Eric Hunter Jr. (Butler)
(+)

Rutgers - 0/1
(-)

(+)
Cam Spencer (Loyola MD)

Wisconsin - 3/2
(-)

Matthew Mors (South Dakota St.)
Ben Carlson (Utah)
Lorne Bowman (Oakland)
(+)
Kamari McGee (Green Bay)
Max Klesmit (Wofford)

Source - Verbal Commits

Last edited:
After a year with a severe concussion from which he is still dealing with symptoms, I expect Curbelo to enter the transfer portal to get a reset, a fresh start. The kid had a terrible year with the concussion, flu, covid, ankle injury, even pinkeye.

I think he goes closer to home in New York.

He hasn’t entered the portal, but I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
After a year with a severe concussion from which he is still dealing with symptoms, I expect Curbelo to enter the transfer portal to get a reset, a fresh start. The kid had a terrible year with the concussion, flu, covid, ankle injury, even pinkeye.

Curbelo has a lot of skill. Unsure if he has "talent". He has a long way to go to prove he is good at basketball.

My take on Indiana. Who I follow probably more than most as I live in the Hoosier state. Still, due to Kopp, most people around here have paid more attention to than normal.

1. I was really impressed with what Woodson was able to do when he arrived in Bloomington
    1. He convinced TJD to stay
    2. He still lost a fair amount of players. Turns out Brunk, or even Hunter/Franklin were not big losses. Durham was
    3. He brought in Fife. It is hard to convey how uplifting that was to the Hoosier fans. Fife is incredibly highly regarded in Bloomington. For many Woodson and Fife were amongst the top Hoosiers of all time. And Fife worked for Izzo for ten years. Snagging him from East Lansing felt very good for the faithful. He became the heir apparent to the 64 yo coach.
  2. The defensive mindset of the Hoosiers was awesome. Credit to Woodson. It is not hyperbole to say IN was one the best defensive teams in the country. And let's not forget that was with a group of players who was not particularly athletic. And included MK
  3. Signs of things not being good, at all
    1. Durr/Phinisee/Stewart leaving. Stewart was a starter, the other two were solidly in the rotation
    2. Hearing Woodson speak in press conferences constantly using "I" and not "we. Might seem petty, but it's a sign of old school attitudes that don't work in today's world
    3. The multiple references to Bobby Knight. Sounds good to a lot of Hoosiers, but also signals that old school mentality that is going to lead you out the door in today's world. If you can't connect to players and lead through influence more than through authority, you will die. It is like that in most companies. It is like that, to a lesser extent, in sports. And it is only to a lesser extent because kids still love to play the game, while regular employees don't necessarily love their jobs. At least don't love them to the same extent.
    4. The suspensions before the game in Evanston. I am even a guy who likes the attitude of having strict rules and holding players accountable. I suspect there are countless programs in the country where things are totally our of hand. If you look up the state of the program and the transition to Dennis Gates at Cleveland State, woof. The suspensions by themselves could even be a positive. But put them in the perspective of #2 and #3 and things start to look suspicious
    5. Fife was fired. The official story is that he left. But that has apparently been 100% debunked. He was fired and Woodson could not stand him. There are stories that he was not as active in recruiting as other assistants, that comes from Woodson himself. Rumors that he bad mouthed Woodson in private conversations. What if he was right in doing so? Folks who pay close attention say this had been brewing and Woodson barely spoke to Fife, compared to the other assistants, during games. My personal take is that Fife challenged Woodson. And Woodson is old school, he is not a guy to be challenged. Not the type of inclusive leader, you challenge him, you are on his hit list.
IN still has a 5 star coming in, #24 recruit in the nation. And the #74, as well as #141. They have never lacked top talent, even with Crean and Archie. But I'm starting to think Woodson is not the answer in Bloomington. Even if he got them back to the dance.

Last edited:
Reactions: macarthur31
My take on Indiana. Who I follow probably more than most as I live in the Hoosier state. Still, due to Kopp, most people around here have paid more attention to than normal.

1. I was really impressed with what Woodson was able to do when he arrived in Bloomington
    1. He convinced TJD to stay
    2. He still lost a fair amount of players. Turns out Brunk, or even Hunter/Franklin were not big losses. Durham was
    3. He brought in Fife. It is hard to convey how uplifting that was to the Hoosier fans. Fife is incredibly highly regarded in Bloomington. For many Woodson and Fife were amongst the top Hoosiers of all time. And Fife worked for Izzo for ten years. Snagging him from East Lansing felt very good for the faithful. He became the heir apparent to the 64 yo coach.
  2. The defensive mindset of the Hoosiers was awesome. Credit to Woodson. It is not hyperbole to say IN was one the best defensive teams in the country. And let's not forget that was with a group of players who was not particularly athletic. And included MK
  3. Signs of things not being good, at all
    1. Durr/Phinisee/Stewart leaving. Stewart was a starter, the other two were solidly in the rotation
    2. Hearing Woodson speak in press conferences constantly using "I" and not "we. Might seem petty, but it's a sign of old school attitudes that don't work in today's world
    3. The multiple references to Bobby Knight. Sounds good to a lot of Hoosiers, but also signals that old school mentality that is going to lead you out the door in today's world. If you can't connect to players and lead through influence more than through authority, you will die. It is like that in most companies. It is like that, to a lesser extent, in sports. And it is only to a lesser extent because kids still love to play the game, while regular employees don't necessarily love their jobs. At least don't love them to the same extent.
    4. The suspensions before the game in Evanston. I am even a guy who likes the attitude of having strict rules and holding players accountable. I suspect there are countless programs in the country where things are totally our of hand. If you look up the state of the program and the transition to Dennis Gates at Cleveland State, woof. The suspensions by themselves could even be a positive. But put them in the perspective of #2 and #3 and things start to look suspicious
    5. Fife was fired. The official story is that he left. But that has apparently been 100% debunked. He was fired and Woodson could not stand him. There are stories that he was not as active in recruiting as other assistants, that comes from Woodson himself. Rumors that he bad mouthed Woodson in private conversations. What if he was right in doing so? Folks who pay close attention say this had been brewing and Woodson barely spoke to Fife, compared to the other assistants, during games. My personal take is that Fife challenged Woodson. And Woodson is old school, he is not a guy to be challenged. Not the type of inclusive leader, you challenge him, you are on his hit list.
IN still has a 5 star coming in, #24 recruit in the nation. And the #74, as well as #141. They have never lacked top talent, even with Crean and Archie. But I'm starting to think Woodson is not the answer in Bloomington. Even if he got them back to the dance.

Regarding the Indiana suspensions, I never saw a public statement on why those players were suspended, but it did come up in a conversation I had with my NU daughter...

I said something about the Indiana game and got this response...
"Oh, you mean the game where the Indiana guys were suspended for weed?"
"How do you know that it was for weed?"
"Everybody knows that."

(oh)

Good call, Combes.

Iowa's Joe Toussaint is in the portal. Kind of surprising, he's been a good spark off the bench for them. K Murray declared for the NBA draft as well.

The Athletic came out with the first transfer ranking I've seen. It's behind a paywall (Cam Spencer is 26 out of 27, and the list top 3 are uncommitted high schoolers):

It's still early and we are just now seeing the P6 players entering the portal. Up to this point it has been mostly mid major players. More rankings will come out. Last year I found the ESPN ranking very helpful. Spoiler alert, Kopp did not make the top 100.

If we end up with a single top 100 this year it will be a miracle.

Going to cross the 1,000 mark for players in the portal today......currently at 995. Last year there were ~1,730.

Ben Carlson of Wisconsin is in the portal. He was a four-star recruit who had a Northwestern offer.

Not wondering about that. Wondering why he is leaving Ill. I guess Underwood’s ass is too red for him..,
He didn’t play in the whole second half of their loss to Houston in the tournament. The writing was on the wall. I think Underwood had had enough.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
His numbers were way down this year. Never was a good shooter but every part of his game was seemingly affected by his many health issues.

Not wondering about that. Wondering why he is leaving Ill. I guess Underwood’s ass is too red for him..,
Way over hyped by the staff and then didn't perform. They sat him the entire 2nd half of their tournament loss. Know he had some prolonged concussion issues too. Both sides probably needed a change.

Way over hyped by the staff and then didn't perform. They sat him the entire 2nd half of their tournament loss. Know he had some prolonged concussion issues too. Both sides probably needed a change.
A lot of talent. He is like Chase on steroids. Really good defender, but was completely out of control at times on offense.

Guess Wisconsin didn’t develop a 4 star.
Well he was a 4 star and rated as #19 power forward nationally by one website, I think 24/7, but overall #109 in class of 2020.

He hurt his back and barely played as a freshman.
He was 8th guy in rotation, playing 8 mpg as a sophomore, but was not very good. ( 1 for 21 from 3, wow)
Of course his teammates played pretty well.

You sure called that.

Things at Georgetown are so bad that Qudus Wahab is transferring again, this time from Maryland. (He was originally at Georgetown, in case my joke is too inscrutable.)

Last edited:
Curbelo missed 12 games, couldn't practice, from a concussion, came back for 2 games then got covid, missed 2 more games (quarantined for 10 days), also had the flu, ankle injury, and pink eye. Was a preseason all B1G, all-American, just couldn't catch a break this year.....

Curbelo missed 12 games, couldn't practice, from a concussion, came back for 2 games then got covid, missed 2 more games (quarantined for 10 days), also had the flu, ankle injury, and pink eye. Was a preseason all B1G, all-American, just couldn't catch a break this year.....
He also plays very stupid basketball despite all of his obvious physical abilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT