ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Players in the Portal 2022

Michigan State fans are expecting Max Christie to enter the portal. A number of them think NU could be his next school.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
That would be awesome if that were to occur. Could save Collins job too

So is Max Christie. My guess is he ends up in the NBA, but he may hit the portal too. Hmmm.
Odd that neither has entered the portal. You can't play in 2022-23 unless you are in the portal by May 1, but have until June 1 to withdraw from the NBA draft and return to college ball. Seems like the obvious strategy is to declare for the draft and enter the portal before May 1, then see how the NBA evaluation goes. If not likely to get drafted or drafted as high as you like, then withdraw from the draft and see what your options are via the portal. Worst case return to your school if a scholarship is available, otherwise play in Europe or the G League.

Odd that neither has entered the portal. You can't play in 2022-23 unless you are in the portal by May 1, but have until June 1 to withdraw from the NBA draft and return to college ball. Seems like the obvious strategy is to declare for the draft and enter the portal before May 1, then see how the NBA evaluation goes. If not likely to get drafted or drafted as high as you like, then withdraw from the draft and see what your options are via the portal. Worst case return to your school if a scholarship is available, otherwise play in Europe or the G League.
I think Nance declared for the draft on the last possible day. So maybe he'll do the same with the portal.

So is Max Christie. My guess is he ends up in the NBA, but he may hit the portal too. Hmmm.
It’s a big risk for projected 25+ picks to stay in the draft. From what I’ve read, Christie’s stock fell this season, and he had a much lower starting point than PBJ. I’d hope that some NIL bucks would be enough to keep him in school.

OSU picked up Isaac Likekele from uh...OSU (Oklahoma St.). Meechie Johnson replacement, it would appear. Started every game last year for the Cowboys.

Reactions: NUCat320
Updated ESPN top #100

Nance #8
PBJ #31
RY #101

Huh, Pat Baldwin, Jr is the guy who would resurrect NU basketball and yet there's Pete Nance sitting up there at #8 and PBJ is #31.

It ain't the talent, gentlemen.

Personally, I can see us being a decent team next year, although losing Young clearly hurts.
Nicholson, Barnhizer, Simmons, Roper - there's talent and upside in that group.
The first 3 need to calm down a bit - that comes with experience in games...
Maybe some improvement from Berry... hopefully Hunger contributes right away... Martinelli made big strides his senior season in high school, so the ratings services are perhaps behind on him... not impossible for him to help right away at the 3...

In the best case, Audige is outplayed and his minutes are cut. I'd say the same about Beran, but Collins just loves that idealized image he has in his head, so Beran will be playing 30+ every night. If the transfer is playing ahead of both Nicholson and Hunger, its bad. Buie will be fine.

Plenty of talent - the coaching staff just needs to put it together. Dump the stretch 5 idea entirely and go from there.

People on here seem to forget that Audige had a serious hip injury that sidelined him until December and that he was being treated for (special seat on the bench that I saw) at least until January. He has the talent. We saw that at times last year and vs. Wisky this year. College hoops is a guards game. I am renewing my tickets and hoping for the best.

People on here seem to forget that Audige had a serious hip injury that sidelined him until December and that he was being treated for (special seat on the bench that I saw) at least until January. He has the talent. We saw that at times last year and vs. Wisky this year. College hoops is a guards game. I am renewing my tickets and hoping for the best.
I'm optimistic too, but not about Audige. After recovering from the hip problem his shot selection and shooting percentage were awful. So, I'm optimistic in spite of Audige, not because of him. Yes his defense is good, but he still misses too many shots at crunch time when the game is on the line.

I'm optimistic too, but not about Audige. After recovering from the hip problem his shot selection and shooting percentage were awful. So, I'm optimistic in spite of Audige, not because of him. Yes his defense is good, but he still misses too many shots at crunch time when the game is on the line.

I don't know about Audige being injured severely. The timing of his return coincided exactly with grades being posted for the fall trimester. I saw no signs that his hip was bothering him. Later he definitely was having back problems and we all saw him being treated on the bench during a handful of games.

The only reason I suspect academics (or possibly something else) is that one of the radio broadcasters for WNUR basketball told me definitively that Audige was not injured, pointing to disciplinary reasons. Students tend to know those things, and this guy had zero reason to lie.

Nobody with the team ever said anything, but the timing with grades was pretty suspicious.

Eric Hunter Jr. just announced he is going to play for Butler.

A few weeks ago folks were discussing if the Butler basketball program was dead.

Then they fired the coach and hired Thad Matta. In a few weeks he convinced 1 kid to re-commit (Connor Turnbull), 1 kid to not transfer (Simas Lukosious), and 4 solid kids to transfer to the program (Hunter Jr, Manny Bates, Ali Ali and Jalen Thomas).

Always thought Matta would have looked good in purple.

Eric Hunter Jr. just announced he is going to play for Butler.

A few weeks ago folks were discussing if the Butler basketball program was dead.

Then they fired the coach and hired Thad Matta. In a few weeks he convinced 1 kid to re-commit (Connor Turnbull), 1 kid to not transfer (Simas Lukosious), and 4 solid kids to transfer to the program (Hunter Jr, Manny Bates, Ali Ali and Jalen Thomas).

Always thought Matta would have looked good in purple.
Too late, but you are absolutely are correct.

Reactions: NJCat
Reactions: GatoLouco
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT