ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Requirement for Permanent Stadium Lights?

May 29, 2001
Will the Ryan Field Porta-Luminaires be a thing of the past?

This piece in the Detroit News about new lights coming at Spartan Stadium seems to convey a new contractual obligation for permanent stadium lights. From MSU president Lou Ann Simon's comments, it looks like this is applicable on a conference, rather than specific school basis.

Currently, Michigan State rents lights and is one of four Big Ten stadiums that does not have permanent lighting. Michigan Stadium added lights in 2010 ahead of the Big Chill at the Big House that December.

With the addition of lights at Spartan Stadium, it’s likely the Michigan State-Notre Dame game on Sept. 23, 2017 would be a night game. But Simon said the new lights do not necessarily mean more night games at MSU.

“No, it means we have to have lights,” she said. “You need them for 3:30 games because of the TV cameras and high-definition. There is a requirement that the lights be very even and very bright, even for 3:30 games. So it’s not about night games, it’s about having lights.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...tan-stadium-have-permanent-lighting/85929440/

Apologies if this has been discussed previously.

This piece in the Detroit News about new lights coming at Spartan Stadium seems to convey a new contractual obligation for permanent stadium lights. From MSU president Lou Ann Simon's comments, it looks like this is applicable on a conference, rather than specific school basis.

Currently, Michigan State rents lights and is one of four Big Ten stadiums that does not have permanent lighting. Michigan Stadium added lights in 2010 ahead of the Big Chill at the Big House that December.

With the addition of lights at Spartan Stadium, it’s likely the Michigan State-Notre Dame game on Sept. 23, 2017 would be a night game. But Simon said the new lights do not necessarily mean more night games at MSU.

“No, it means we have to have lights,” she said. “You need them for 3:30 games because of the TV cameras and high-definition. There is a requirement that the lights be very even and very bright, even for 3:30 games. So it’s not about night games, it’s about having lights.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...tan-stadium-have-permanent-lighting/85929440/

In the interest of player safety, ALL September games should start no earlier than 3:30 local time. Crazy to have an 11:00 am kick-off, even as far north as Evanston. Duke at noon last year was insane.

Not sure I read it the same way you do. I read it as "we need to have lights if we want to kick off at 3:30 ET or later" but no differentiation as to whether they are rented or permanent.

I didn't see a sarcasm font but perhaps he is re-living the Stanford complaint about the early start. I was going to respond the same: "huh?"

I (less than 3) day games

I'm serious. Starting the WMU game this September at 11:00 is just asking for trouble. Of course, the safety of the players is secondary to making sure TV has games on all day to maximize revenue......

I'm serious. Starting the WMU game this September at 11:00 is just asking for trouble. Of course, the safety of the players is secondary to making sure TV has games on all day to maximize revenue......
What on earth kind of "trouble" are you talking about. I've attended so many NU games in September that I've lost count, and remember no "trouble" other than some occasional wind and rain. Which game did you attend where you felt there was "trouble"? (The Duke game was in Durham N.C.!)

Still don't get it.

I think he means because of the heat, but I'm not sure.
Well, of course he does - but it is truly ridiculous. I've probably been to 50 11:00 a.m. games in September, and never remember any significant problem. Can anybody tell me otherwise?

Well, of course he does - but it is truly ridiculous. I've probably been to 50 11:00 a.m. games in September, and never remember any significant problem. Can anybody tell me otherwise?
Not in Evanston. Was at the Duke game last year and there were over 60 people being treated for heat exhaustion in the first half alone, plus several hundred in the cooling tents.

Not in Evanston. Was at the Duke game last year and there were over 60 people being treated for heat exhaustion in the first half alone, plus several hundred in the cooling tents.

Yeah, the whole "in North Carolina with ridiculous humidity not in Illinois" deal might have had something to do with it.

Not sure I read it the same way you do. I read it as "we need to have lights if we want to kick off at 3:30 ET or later" but no differentiation as to whether they are rented or permanent.

And it probably makes more financial sense for MSU to just install permanent lights than rent them every time. Not sure if we have enough games under the lights to make the same decision.

Would that have changed with a later start? Seems to me that 4PM (Remember Daylight savings time is really 3) would have been every bit as oppressive

And it probably makes more financial sense for MSU to just install permanent lights than rent them every time. Not sure if we have enough games under the lights to make the same decision.
If every 3:30 game later in the year requires lights, it might.

I was rolling around under a tree somewhere. Missed the Solo KO TD to start the second half.

Reactions: nu greek
Interesting. Wonder if the City of Evanston has a say in the matter. They hate night games anyway.......
Do they really? I would love to play just about all games at night or at least at 2:30 and think Phillips has said so.

I couldn't find a free spot under any of the trees. In exasperation I returned to my seat as the teams were lining up for the kickoff. It seemed that more fans were out of the stadium than were in it. The ensuing kickoff, and my whooping and hollering in an essentially empty section were surreal.

If we play them again in Durham, and I truly believe that we should, bring sunblock. Lots of sunblock. Certified, actually works sunblock. With a number that's higher than the over for the game.

Would that have changed with a later start? Seems to me that 4PM (Remember Daylight savings time is really 3) would have been every bit as oppressive
Basically, nobody should live in North Carolina from June through September.

Basically, nobody should live in North Carolina from June through September.

As someone who now lives in Winston-Salem NC, you aren't far wrong. Although it was a beautiful 83 and low humidity today. But living here in December thru March beats the crap out of living up north (having grown up in Akron, going to school at NU and working in NJ for 30 years).

As someone who now lives in Winston-Salem NC, you aren't far wrong. Although it was a beautiful 83 and low humidity today. But living here in December thru March beats the crap out of living up north (having grown up in Akron, going to school at NU and working in NJ for 30 years).
I've been in ATL for six years now, and I'll never move north again. Today was the best lawnmowing day in the history of Atlanta. Upper 70s with wind at noon!

The sun is still quite a but different in late August by 3:00 pm and by half time it will be dipping below the rim of many stadiums.

The proximity to the lake makes Ryan field one of the most comfortable College Stadiums on a hot day in the country.

The sun is still quite a but different in late August by 3:00 pm and by half time it will be dipping below the rim of many stadiums.

The proximity to the lake makes Ryan field one of the most comfortable College Stadiums on a hot day in the country.

The breeze off the lake made for relatively nice afternoon practices during 2-a-days.

Perhaps FarEastWildcat can give us an update? I'm assuming where the only team in the conference without permanent lights. Could they be part of the planned renovations of Ryan? What's the timetable for the B1G's requirements?

Perhaps FarEastWildcat can give us an update? I'm assuming where the only team in the conference without permanent lights. Could they be part of the planned renovations of Ryan? What's the timetable for the B1G's requirements?
I wonder if there is some Evanston zoning issue prohibiting lights.....

If you're worried about heat, starting at 3:30 is not an answer. The hours between 3 and 5 p.m. are usually about as hot as it gets during a day.

I wonder if there is some Evanston zoning issue prohibiting lights.....

I've resided in Evanston for over 40 years and checked with my City Council Rep over the years and been advised there's no ordinance. The issue is certain residents in the surrounding area and those nimbies would and have put up a fight.

I've resided in Evanston for over 40 years and checked with my City Council Rep over the years and been advised there's no ordinance. The issue is certain residents in the surrounding area and those nimbies would and have put up a fight.
I wonder what the difference is between temporary and permanent lights? They are going to have the one night game Evanston allows, shouldn't matter what kind of lights NU has.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
I wonder what the difference is between temporary and permanent lights? They are going to have the one night game Evanston allows, shouldn't matter what kind of lights NU has.

Agreed, but they have nothing better to do but *itch about things that might affect them maybe 4 out of 8 Saturday's per year. I say go with lights

Last edited:
Reactions: Williesfan

NU will be required to install lights once the stadium is electrified

Reactions: NJCat
Under the previous TV contract, if a network scheduled a game at a time when lights were required, the network was required to pay for the rental.

Effective this fall, TV can schedule the game at whatever time it pleases (with a limit on the number of night games over a two year period per school, but there is a bare minimum that FOX/ESPN can mandate), if the school doesn't have lights, the school pays for the required lighting (to HD standards).

If these last institutions don't install permanent lighting, they will soon have paid more in rentals than they would have for a permanent installation.

A sign of the new times. This Saturday (9/23) the B10 controls 7 games (4 conference and 3 schools hosting non-conference games). Only 1 of those games will kickoff at Noon/11 (ET/CT)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT