ADVERTISEMENT

Central Street memories- First,Worst,Best,Last (long)

DarkAge Survivor

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2009
This has been a tough past 4 months- for the board and the program. Too much "drama and trauma". Losing games and a long time coach is bound to lead to a lot of bad feelings and disagreements. Now that the Evanston city council appears to have made the new stadium plan a reality I though maybe a nostalgic look back at some Dyche/Ryan memories would be a non-controversial post. Ive been to a lot of games in the past 47 years-here are my personal recollections of my first, worst,best and last NU games at the gray edifice east of Mustards.

First- Sept 25,1976- 2 days before starting NU med school- Notre Dame 48-Cats-0. Growing up in Wisconsin and doing undergrad at Madison in the late 60's-early 70's I thought nobody could have a worse football program than the Badgers- Sadly I was wrong... By the time I actually witnessed a win ( one of 3 in my 4 years at NUMS)- Over MSU before 15,00 freezing fans in late November I came to the realization that this team needed my support. I was hooked.

Worst- Gotta be the blown 36 point second half lead to lose to the Spartans 41-39 in Fitz's first season. I had just bought myself a book on "Football game clock managent" to help me coach a youth football team. I purchased a 2nd copy and sent it to our head coach. Runners up including the loss to OSU under the lights in 2013 (Kain made that 1st down!!!), and the 2 losses to Michigan in 2013 ( referee aided last second tying FG by the Hokies) and 2014 ( Siemian slips rolling out on potential game winning 2pt XP attempt). We lost so many heartbreaking home night games that I came to truly believe that Bob Stotz's Ghost resided in the the upper caverns of the North tower and continued to haunt the program.

Best- Easy- 2000 54-51 over the Wolverines and their haughty fans . I almost left when DA2 dropped that pass in the stadium lights ( I blamed Strotz then too) but Im glad I stayed for the Wiebers strip and recovery of Anthony Thompson and Zaks subsequent game winning TD pass. Other great ones- the 35-0 shutout of the Badgers on Homecoming , the domination of JoPa and the Nittany Lions on national TV and the freezing clincher of the incredible 1996 season over Iowa ( thank you Hudafei Ismaeli).

And my last game- coming up in 2 weeks against Purdue. I'll be in the West lot with my son, my son-in-law and Grandson ( who hopefully will see his 11th Birthday announced on the Jumbotron during the game). Not counting any chickens before they are hatched but a Wildcat win over the Boilers would be a perfect send off to a tired, old concrete friend. And I will celebrate the subsequent wrecking ball eviction of the Strotz poltergeist from his den in the venerable north tower!

Anybody else have any memories to share? Go Cats!

First game I attended was in a sold-out Dyche Stadium against USC with OJ Simpson. NU lost 24-7. USC ended up 9-1-1, ranked second in the coaches poll. That team played at Notre Dame, and Ohio State plus home against Michigan. Murderous.

Last edited:
This has been a tough past 4 months- for the board and the program. Too much "drama and trauma". Losing games and a long time coach is bound to lead to a lot of bad feelings and disagreements. Now that the Evanston city council appears to have made the new stadium plan a reality I though maybe a nostalgic look back at some Dyche/Ryan memories would be a non-controversial post. Ive been to a lot of games in the past 47 years-here are my personal recollections of my first, worst,best and last NU games at the gray edifice east of Mustards.

First- Sept 25,1976- 2 days before starting NU med school- Notre Dame 48-Cats-0. Growing up in Wisconsin and doing undergrad at Madison in the late 60's-early 70's I thought nobody could have a worse football program than the Badgers- Sadly I was wrong... By the time I actually witnessed a win ( one of 3 in my 4 years at NUMS)- Over MSU before 15,00 freezing fans in late November I came to the realization that this team needed my support. I was hooked.

Worst- Gotta be the blown 36 point second half lead to lose to the Spartans 41-39 in Fitz's first season. I had just bought myself a book on "Football game clock managent" to help me coach a youth football team. I purchased a 2nd copy and sent it to our head coach. Runners up including the loss to OSU under the lights in 2013 (Kain made that 1st down!!!), and the 2 losses to Michigan in 2013 ( referee aided last second tying FG by the Hokies) and 2014 ( Siemian slips rolling out on potential game winning 2pt XP attempt). We lost so many heartbreaking home night games that I came to truly believe that Bob Stotz's Ghost resided in the the upper caverns of the North tower and continued to haunt the program.

Best- Easy- 2000 54-51 over the Wolverines and their haughty fans . I almost left when DA2 dropped that pass in the stadium lights ( I blamed Strotz then too) but Im glad I stayed for the Wiebers strip and recovery of Anthony Thompson and Zaks subsequent game winning TD pass. Other great ones- the 35-0 shutout of the Badgers on Homecoming , the domination of JoPa and the Nittany Lions on national TV and the freezing clincher of the incredible 1996 season over Iowa ( thank you Hudafei Ismaeli).

And my last game- coming up in 2 weeks against Purdue. I'll be in the West lot with my son, my son-in-law and Grandson ( who hopefully will see his 11th Birthday announced on the Jumbotron during the game). Not counting any chickens before they are hatched but a Wildcat win over the Boilers would be a perfect send off to a tired, old concrete friend. And I will celebrate the subsequent wrecking ball eviction of the Strotz poltergeist from his den in the venerable north tower!

Anybody else have any memories to share? Go Cats!
The big 3 out of many:

1. 1995 vs PSU. Night game. Keith Jackson on the call. The scoreboard missing a few lightbulbs. We beat the Lions and Joe Paterno from start to finish.
2. 1996 vs Michigan. My first time back with Mrs. GOUNUII when we knew we had a chance to beat a blueblood. And Ryan was rocking in Purple. Never experienced that before. I was so nervous at kickoff my teeth were chattering. The day Brian Musso twisted Charles Woodson into one pretzel after another. On one 4th down conversion after another.
3. 2004 vs OSU. No.33 scores our 33rd point on his 33rd carry to beat OSU for the first time in 33 years. We dominated the LOS - on both sides - the entire game.

There was a time early in my NU fandom, and for the better part of 20 years, that I was certain I would never see NU beat the Big 3.

HONORABLE MENTION: All of our wins since 1995 vs Iowa.

GOUNUII

First: 1980, OSU beat us 63-0.

Best: Miami Hydroxide in 82, Iowa in 95, Ill 2012 (Bo Cisek). Actually several ILL beatings.

Worst: I missed several Michigan losses, otherwise those. Probably those inexplicable losses to teams like Akron and SIU.

Last: Purdue in a few weeks. It has recently occurred to me that I've been ranting here for 20 odd years and have never met a single one of you. If I haven't totally alienated everyone, I'd like to change that.

Best: Going to many games with my dad. Our first vs. Pitt in 1950. Sat in the upper deck and the Cats won 28-23. Our last game together was the 2000 Michigan game. I also remember Ara's' first game as coach, beating Iowa State 14-13 in 1956 , and then there was the 35-6 evisceration of Notre Dame, elevating them to #1 in the nation in 1962. Breaking the horrible 34 game losing streak vs. NIU and seeing the goal posts torn down. Beating OSU in 2004 and beating Iowa to help clinch the 95 Big Ten title .
Worst: losing 30-28 to Miami Ohio a week after upsetting Notre Dame to open the 1995 dream season. The 61-14 loss to Michigan State to set the losing streak record. A 63-14 loss to Illinois to close Francis Peay's 0-11 season in 1989 and last year's embarrassing loss to Illinois.

What a great idea for a thread:

First game: 9/16/1989 against Air Force. I guess I didn't really watch much college football before that, despite growing up in Big 8 country, as I kept complaining that the quarterback kept running the option, not knowing that it was either called the option or what it was. I've learned so much. I'll never look at marshmallows the same way again.

Worst game: 10/17/1998 against Michigan. I suppose if NU had won I would've forgiven the rainy weather (like against the Illini in 1991!), but it was miserable that night, and it was an ugly game.

Best game: so many to choose from, including every single home game (even Miami) in 1995, and the Michigan game in 1996 where I practically floated home afterwards, and the underrated Nebraska game in 2018 (the first game I ever went to with both of my sons and my wife), but the answer is obvious: I was fortunate enough to be at the 54-51 game on 11/4/2000. I was living on east coast at the time and was coming to Chicago for my fantasy basketball draft, and I asked anyone on here if they had an extra ticket. I forget who it was who gave me one of his, unfortunately, but I've never high-fived a total stranger more than I did that day.

Last game: 9/10/2022 against Duke. Though I'll make it to a hoops game in a couple weeks, this will be the first year (other than 2020 in which I won't go see NU in person. Unless they go to a bowl game I guess. Evan Hull was awesome against Duke, and I think to think he broke the plain before he fumbled the potential game-tying TD. Because that's what I believe.

Favorite non-sports Central Street memory - going to see Silence of the Lambs for the first time at the theater there in 1991 and then walking home discussing what would become one of my all-time favorite movies. It was dark then, and we were all a little scared.

I wasn't there for it, but I would think that 2005 win over Iowa would have to be up there.

Last: Purdue in a few weeks. It has recently occurred to me that I've been ranting here for 20 odd years and have never met a single one of you. If I haven't totally alienated everyone, I'd like to change that.
I wonder how many of us you HAVE met but just don't know it. I know of at least one person on here that I'm pretty sure I know from some of his clues but I prefer to not confirm it.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
First: 10/1/88 against Indiana. We lost 48-17. I showed up in the 4th quarter and for some strange reason I was hooked.

Worst: 11/23/13 against #13 Sparty. Lost 30-6. It was very cold and surrounded by many obnoxious MSU fans

Best: 54-51

Last: Two weeks from now against Purdue with my FSU daughter who grew up to love the "Kitties"

Honorable Mentions: 90 - NIU (mini streak ended), 91 - beat first ranked team as a fan #17 ILL and laked the posts, 95 - beat Badgers 35- 0 (great goaline defense), 96 - UM, and any game that Ed Sutter punted

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and drewjin
I wonder how many of us you HAVE met but just don't know it. I know of at least one person on here that I'm pretty sure I know from some of his clues but I prefer to not confirm it.
Is that because you don't want him to know or because you don't want him to know you know?

• Haha
First: 1990 vs IU. A 42-0 Hoosier win.

2nd First, now rooting for NU (having met a NU young lady the spring of ‘91, who would later become my wife, so now a NU rooter unless playing IU): September 1991 vs Wake Forest, a surprisingly easy Wildcat win. Score was something like, 30-6 (too lazy to look up).

Worst (will keep this to NU worsts cuz I’ve seen way too many IU losses here): ‘97 under the lights vs Wisconsin. Beautiful night. NU about to score the game winner late. Fumble at the goal line!! Can’t recall the poor guy’s name, but felt terrible for him. Having been at the game in Madison the year before when Dayne coughed up the Ball for an unlikely Cats win, guess this made things even. (That ‘96 game in Madison probably the best NU win I was ever at).

Best: so many to choose from in ‘95 (35 to zip blow out of Wisconsin in the rain, come from behind win vs Iowa in snow/cold, Penn St under the lights with Keith Jackson in the house).

Last: October 2016, NU blitzes IU early and coasts to an easy win, think it was 24-10.

As a STH in the 90’s, a 2 year Central Street resident right across the street, followed by 10 years in the city and a former west lot Parking pass holder, (until we got sent to the Hospital Garage), the place holds lots of great memories for my wife and me, especially pre-kids (okay, a few with our kids, too).

I was at that game, and saw Flatley’s famous catch. I was 9 years-old. My friends and I used to sneak into the games either by climbing the fence or rushing past the ticket takers. After the games we ran onto the field and asked the players for their chinstraps. Most players wouldn’t give them up, but occasionally one of us got one.

Earliest that I recall - apparently not my first game - Flatley’s one-handed catch vs ND in 1962.
Best - the magical win over PSU in 1995.
Worst - the losing streak, all of it.
I was in house for Flatley's catch as well as Tommy Myers' 15 consecutive completions in the 1962 opener against South Carolina.

First: 1995 vs. Miami-Ohio. A candidate for worst too but as a freshman in NUMB I hold good memories of that day despite the 4th quarter meltdown on the field.

Best: A lot to choose from, but 54-51 in 2000 has to be the best I was at. Michigan in 1996 is also a contender.

Worst: There were some lackluster but unmemorable losses in there (Rice, New Hampshire), but the one that always sticks out to me is Wisconsin 1997. We were up 25-23 and had the ball inside their 5. A TD puts it out of reach but Faraji Leary fumbles at the goal line and they kick a 50-ish yarder on the last play to win. That kept us out of a bowl game.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and drewjin
I HAVE met you, and I know it.

First - Boston College, 1993. Cats win (and then win again the next week against Wake Forest). Hey, people don't know what they're talking about, these guys are good! Cats then go 0-8 in conference games and finish the season at 2-9. Ouch.

Best - Wisconsin, 1995. 35-0. Absolute domination. We knew that team was good, but this put the exclamation mark on it. Plus, it made them bowl eligible for the first time in forever.

Worst - SIU, 2008. Boring game played in a monsoon. At least it wasn't cold.

Last - Michigan, 2018. Very frustrating game, with NU getting out to the early lead and the Wolverines slowly chipping away to eventually come out on top. The Cats were 1-3 after that game, and few people would have predicted that they'd run the table in conference play the rest of the way to win the division.

First: 1995 vs. Miami-Ohio. A candidate for worst too but as a freshman in NUMB I hold good memories of that day despite the 4th quarter meltdown on the field.

I mentioned Miami above too. It really was a very fun game until the meltdown. Coming off the Notre Dame game and an early-season bye, fans were anxious to come and watch that one. Atmosphere was pretty great for a non-conference September game, especially considering that no one there was used to the team being any good and weren't sure yet the team WAS any good. There's never really been an NU game quite like it.

This is a great thread!

First - Appears to be 2002 vs #5 OSU under the lights against the eventual national champions. A game that was a lot closer than anyone expected.

Best - Undoubtedly 2004 vs #7 OSU. As @GOUNUII stated, No.33 scores our 33rd point on his 33rd carry to beat OSU for the first time in 33 years. Corralled 15 or so students to paint up and we had first row seats in the student section, rushed the field after.

Honorable mention:
2005 vs Iowa. An amazing game, but one that will always be marred in my memory due to discovering that morning that a fraternity brother had committed suicide on campus.
2005 vs #14 Wisconsin. Tyrell Sutton's breakout game knocked off the unbeaten Badgers.
2009 vs #17 Wisconsin. Clinched the Outback Bowl, sealed the game by forcing a John Clay fumble and then a Jordan Mabin interception, once again rushed the field.
2010 vs #13 Iowa. Amazing finish, though of course the season, and Persa's achillies, was destroyed on the game-winning TD.
2012 vs Illinois. One of the most fun games, epic beatdown 50-14. Only thing that didn't go right was Bo Cisek not being able to get into the endzone for a TD.
2017 vs. Iowa. A terrible game in general, but gutted it out in OT. Plus, it's Iowa, every win is great.
2018 vs. Nebraska. Thorson going 99 yards in under 2 minutes to force OT before winning it.

Worst - Also a no-doubter, 2006 vs MSU in the game that saved John L Smith's job for one extra week. The game was actually over when Nick Roach broke his leg on a punt that didn't count due to roughing the kicker while we were up 24-3 in the 3rd, we just didn't know it at the time.

(Dis)honorable mention:
2006 vs New Hampshire. Yes, it was Fitz's second game ever; yes, Chip Kelly was their offensive coordinator; yes, they had an NFL/CFL level QB and WR, but woof.
2007 vs Duke. Coming in riding a 22-game losing streak looking like a reasonable candidate to break our record of futility, playing under the lights. Sutton had gotten hurt the previous game and was out, Fitz took points off the board at the end of the first half, resulting in us needing a TD at the end of the game instead of a FG to tie. Two straight possessions at the end of the game inside Duke's 10 and getting nothing. Duke went on to lose its last 9 games of the season.
2011, 2013 and 2014 vs Michigan. 2011 - up 24-14 at halftime, get outscored 28-0 in the second half. 2013 - the game that simply wouldn't end. No TDs in regulation, I ultimately didn't care who ended up winning, I just wanted it to be over. 2014 - M00N, enough said. Was glad Fitz went for 2, Siemian tripping over his own feet to sack himself was the only way that game could've ended.
2012 vs Nebraska. Despite 3 NEB first half fumbles, we only got 7 points. Up 12 with 8 and a half to go, gave up two NEB TDs sandwiching a 3 and out, then missed a potential game winning FG.
2016 vs Western Michigan. The game that launched Fleck's career (spit). Thorson fumble at the goal line.
2016 vs Illinois State. I mean, really.
2018 vs Akron. Up 21-3 at halftime, Thorson throws two pick-6s to the same guy and fumbles into the endzone for another Akron TD. Couldn't believe it as it was happening.
2018 vs. Michigan. Up 17-0 in the first half, lost 20-17. The first time Harbag had ever come back from a 17-point deficit in his career.

Last - 2019 vs Minnesota. The last home game in a miserable season. Covid hit the next year and we moved east in the summer of 2021.

Worst game: 10/17/1998 against Michigan. I suppose if NU had won I would've forgiven the rainy weather (like against the Illini in 1991!), but it was miserable that night, and it was an ugly game.

Ha! This is the only one I missed during my time at NU. I was a freshman, and a high school friend of mine decided on a bro road trip.

It was also a legendarily difficult night for Sherman Ave Papa John’s, which was open til 4 am on weekends that year. I would learn this while delivering pizzas almost two years later.

First: 1998 versus UNLV, launching Gavin Hoffman’s legendary career

Best: 54-51

Other best: 9/29/01, 27-26 v MSU
it’s been long forgotten because that season went to the pits, but NU allowed a Charles Rogers punt return for a touchdown with under a minute left, then responded with a Victory Right-esque downfield deflection pass from Kustok to Schweighardt, and then David Wasiliewski hit a 40+ yard field goal for the winner. NU was 3-0 and in the national title conversation, at least in Evanston.

Worst: New Hampshire, maybe

Other worst: No 25 Michigan 33, No 21 NU 17, 10/29/05
Night game on ESPN. Great crew of NU young alumni in town. New friends made at the tailgate. Cats-themed pumpkin carving on Friday night, and then an entire day to sleep it off. Jokes about the digital tv preview promoting ‘rising sophomore linebacker David Harris’ instead of the best freshman running back in the nation (Sutton) and his finally-a-star senior quarterback (Baz). We were so excited, quite buzzed, and Michigan beat NU way worse than the score reflected.

Last: Iowa 2017, unless I make the last-minute decision to go to Purdue in a few weeks. A gutty overtime victory that rallied the Cats to a strong finish. My only time seeing JJTBC or Thorson in person.

Is that because you don't want him to know or because you don't want him to know you know?

I like to be relatively anonymous, but it's also kind of fun to not know for sure. Plus, you know, he might not remember me!

The big 3 out of many:

1. 1995 vs PSU. Night game. Keith Jackson on the call. The scoreboard missing a few lightbulbs. We beat the Lions and Joe Paterno from start to finish.
2. 1996 vs Michigan. My first time back with Mrs. GOUNUII when we knew we had a chance to beat a blueblood. And Ryan was rocking in Purple. Never experienced that before. I was so nervous at kickoff my teeth were chattering. The day Brian Musso twisted Charles Woodson into one pretzel after another. On one 4th down conversion after another.
3. 2004 vs OSU. No.33 scores our 33rd point on his 33rd carry to beat OSU for the first time in 33 years. We dominated the LOS - on both sides - the entire game.

There was a time early in my NU fandom, and for the better part of 20 years, that I was certain I would never see NU beat the Big 3.

HONORABLE MENTION: All of our wins since 1995 vs Iowa.

GOUNUII
My top 3 mirrors yours.

I will only add my chance encounter with Big Matt Nicholbomb in the west lot last January after we destroyed Minnesota. He was toting 3 boxes of post-game tacos as he was returning to his apartment across on Central. He stopped and chatted, and took a great selfie with Little Hungry in the snowy light.

Reactions: cedricmelons
Other best: 9/29/01, 27-26 v MSU
it’s been long forgotten because that season went to the pits, but NU allowed a Charles Rogers punt return for a touchdown with under a minute left, then responded with a Victory Right-esque downfield deflection pass from Kustok to Schweighardt, and then David Wasiliewski hit a 40+ yard field goal for the winner. NU was 3-0 and in the national title conversation, at least in Evanston.

This was the first game I attended as a freshman. Between that and having watched 54-51 on TV the previous year, it perhaps set unrealistic expectations.. but what a game! I was hooked.

Best: No obvious frontrunner. I missed the Ohio State win because I was in studio for WNUR. Probably one of the many wins over Wisconsin, like 2003 or the 2005 shootout or the season-ender in 2009. 2010 over Iowa was magnificent. The 3OT win over MSU in 2017 was great because I was two seats down from an obnoxious Spartan fan who got very, very quiet on the way out. Or, honestly, it could have been that very first game.

Worst: Again, no clear #1. The record-breaking MSU loss was embarrassing but because we were bad that year and we'd already lost at home to New Hampshire, I was laughing in disbelief more than I was feeling anger. Maybe the 2007 night loss to Duke, or really any of the countless blowouts I've sat through over the years. The 52-3 Friday night loss to Ohio State in 2019 might have been the worst. Or maybe the 54-10 loss to OSU in 2006, when Gillette (or someone) was sponsoring the game and they gave out razors to the fans on the way out.

Last: I plan on being at the Purdue game, so it'll be that, but if for some reason I can't go, it'll be this past weekend's Maryland win, which would be a great way to go out. Hopefully Purdue will be the same.

This was the first game I attended as a freshman. Between that and having watched 54-51 on TV the previous year, it perhaps set unrealistic expectations.. but what a game! I was hooked.

Best: No obvious frontrunner. I missed the Ohio State win because I was in studio for WNUR. Probably one of the many wins over Wisconsin, like 2003 or the 2005 shootout or the season-ender in 2009. 2010 over Iowa was magnificent. The 3OT win over MSU in 2017 was great because I was two seats down from an obnoxious Spartan fan who got very, very quiet on the way out. Or, honestly, it could have been that very first game.
I was in the booth (thankfully on the WNUR call) for 54-51, so I didn’t even get a proper post-game sore throat from that one.

I enjoyed MSU ‘01 from the stands as a fan, and it was glorious. (NU beat Minnesota in a downpour later that season, which I also ‘enjoyed’ as a fan.)

I was in the booth (thankfully on the WNUR call) for 54-51, so I didn’t even get a proper post-game sore throat from that one.

I enjoyed MSU ‘01 from the stands as a fan, and it was glorious. (NU beat Minnesota in a downpour later that season, which I also ‘enjoyed’ as a fan.)

Very nice. We kept the highlight package from 54-51 so I know I've heard that call. Best game I got to call was the 14-7 win at Penn State in '04.

(I was also at that Minnesota game as a fan. No need to talk about the rest of the '01 season.)

First: Lost in a haze of freshman alcohol consumption: I am pretty sure they lost.
Worst: sitting in the rain in ‘73 against Pitt. Tony Dorsett ran wild, my future spouse caught pneumonia, leading her to 50 years of animosity toward football in general and attendance at football in particular. We have gone together to countless baseball, basketball, soccer and other sporting events since, but not another football game.
Best: Penn State ‘95. The big wins leading up to it had been on the road, and beating the ‘94 champion soundly was almost unbelievable. It was a surreal atmosphere, and I will never forget the clock running down followed by the band playing the fight song on that crisp night.
Last: Michigan 2000, which is a pretty good last game to have. I regularly went back the first few years after moving to California, but since spouse doesn’t go to games, decided the time and money for solo trips was not worth it. As a result, the opportunity for an autumn afternoon in Evanston has not arisen since.

Many have railed against what they consider a substandard stadium. To me, Dyche/Ryan was great: a no frills venue built for watching football and not the “game day experience.” The walks with friends from campus to Central on autumn afternoons were among my happiest times ever. I am only sorry I did not get to visit it one last time.

My worst memory of the old barn was it being filled with green and gold wearing cretins who jammed the bathrooms. Those that could not hold out were peeing on the walls in the concourse. What a bunch of lightweight baboons. Good thing that campus is in South Bend. If it were close to a major metro area, the Feds would seize it.

• Haha
First trip to Dyche 1956 to watch College All Stars practice for Tribune game at old Soldiers Field.
First game was opening day 1956 14-13 W over Iowa State.
Best games 1962 35-6 over ND and instant classic 54-51 over Michigan.
Saddest moment was this summer's destruction of Fitz. Go 'Cats!!!

I was at that game, and saw Flatley’s famous catch. I was 9 years-old. My friends and I used to sneak into the games either by climbing the fence or rushing past the ticket takers. After the games we ran onto the field and asked the players for their chinstraps. Most players wouldn’t give them up, but occasionally one of us got one.

We caught hell from the equipment manager if we gave kids a chinstrap. I'd have fun with kids and ask them for their autographs. They really enjoyed that. They couldn't believe a football player would ask them for their autographs.

I've already answered above, but this thread got me thinking about the last time I enjoyed home games so much. It had to be 2017, since in 2018 I saw us lose to Puke and Akron, and a feeble win against ILL. I've seen all 4 wins this year and the PSU game was even interesting until late. Can't go tomorrow but going to Wisc and Purdue

Reactions: Rebel II
Any home game in '95 but for Miami. . . it was such a magical year. But 54-51 has to be #1 of #1s. I still get goosebumps when it comes up on the Big Ten Network.

having gone to school from '75-'79, and started 42 years of season tickets in '79 (gave them up 2 years ago), I've seen way too many "worst" games, but I agree with Rebel that the worst thing that has happened at NU for me is the way they treated Pat Fitzgerald this summer.. an absolute disgrace.

Iowa 2010 keeps standing out for me. Seeing Clayborn with his hands on his hips and we exhausted him on the last drive was just awesome. I knew we were gonna score. Of course later learning about Persa’s ACL was brutal but in the moment knocking off another ranked Iowa team ruled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT