ADVERTISEMENT

Soldier Field

Evanstonian

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2001
Assuming that Evanston gives it’s okay to the new Ryan Field project, and we play the next two seasons at 61,000-seat Soldier Field, we’ll be heavily outnumbered by some fan bases. Games against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. will be like home games for those teams. In order to minimize the impact of those fans, I suggest that NU limit the number of tickets sold to 35,000. That will be the capacity of the new stadium, so let’s start with that number next year. Non-conference games and games against teams from outside the Midwest aren’t going to draw more than that anyway. So for instance, they could populate the Soldier Field first and second levels and maybe part of the third, leaving the upper levels empty, and call that a full house.

I like the option of SeatGeek, as someone who comes in from Michigan. I won't have to fight as much Chicago traffic. The Chicago traffic was the only bad thing I encountered on Saturday.
I come i n from Pa. on I 80 - 90. How do I get to Seat Geek from the Skyway?

For me seatgeek is 10 mins futher than Ryan Field. I imagine parking is probably challenging when the behemoth fan bases come to town.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
I come i n from Pa. on I 80 - 90. How do I get to Seat Geek from the Skyway?
Easy. You could take the Skyway, briefly on the Dan Ryan and then jump on the Stevenson, 55 South. Get off at Harlem Avenue and then go south on Harlem for about 1.5 miles right into Seat Geek's stadium parking lot. Very easy drive that would take about 30 minutes at most once you get off the Skyway.

You wouldn't take the Skyway, you would stay on 80/94 and take the Tri-State (294)
That's a circuitous route that you would only take if there was traffic on the Skyway. Skyway briefly on Dan Ryan North to Stevenson/ 55 South exiting at Harlem. Harlem south for 1.5 miles straight into Seat Geek parking lot.

Assuming that Evanston gives it’s okay to the new Ryan Field project, and we play the next two seasons at 61,000-seat Soldier Field, we’ll be heavily outnumbered by some fan bases. Games against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. will be like home games for those teams. In order to minimize the impact of those fans, I suggest that NU limit the number of tickets sold to 35,000. That will be the capacity of the new stadium, so let’s start with that number next year. Non-conference games and games against teams from outside the Midwest aren’t going to draw more than that anyway. So for instance, they could populate the Soldier Field first and second levels and maybe part of the third, leaving the upper levels empty, and call that a full house.
I doubt The City of Chicago will allow that restriction

Reactions: HappyNUyear
I’m from the land of rodents whom beat in o.t. what is seat geek, a stadium?
It’s a purpose-built soccer stadium, originally opened as Toyota Park circa 2005 or so. It’s in Bridgeview, a south suburb. Small capacity - 20k or so.

Interestingly, the Chicago Fire MLS team outgrew it and has moved back to Soldier Field, while the NWSL Red Stars continue to play there.

• Wow
It’s a purpose-built soccer stadium, originally opened as Toyota Park circa 2005 or so. It’s in Bridgeview, a south suburb. Small capacity - 20k or so.

Interestingly, the Chicago Fire MLS team outgrew it and has moved back to Soldier Field, while the NWSL Red Stars continue to play there.
The Fire averaged 18,170 last year, which was up considerably from the recent years at SeatGeek. I think the bigger issue was being more accessible to their fan base--wherever that is.

Reactions: thewildcat2011
The Fire averaged 18,170 last year, which was up considerably from the recent years at SeatGeek. I think the bigger issue was being more accessible to their fan base--wherever that is.
Yeah, it always struck me as a strange location. I assume Bridgeview is in a boatload of debt after throwing $$ at a project that was never going to generate that much revenue, but Wikipedia doesn’t include any information.

But, @NU Houston is right. Helluva location for Cats fans/Southwest Airlines flyers. You could probably do a gameday in-and-out from BWI.

Reactions: docrugby1
Re overwhelming opposing crowds, we play these teams that won't bring a lot of fans: Miami Hydroxide, Puke, other non-con G5/FCS, Indy. Then, Wisconsin and Illinois will bring a lot but in a 25k seat stadium it won't be bad. Only ECat's nemesis will flood us.

How are they going to manage season tickets? I’m not a STH due to distance (and life) but wonder how they will price and incentivize it. I think we’ve lost a lot of STH the last few years, right? After COVID and then the last 2 horrible years.

How did they do it for BBall when they were at Rosemont?

They should have some big incentives to both retain STH and try to get some new STH with some discount or upgrade in the new stadium if you have ST the next couple years.

How are they going to manage season tickets? I’m not a STH due to distance (and life) but wonder how they will price and incentivize it. I think we’ve lost a lot of STH the last few years, right? After COVID and then the last 2 horrible years.

How did they do it for BBall when they were at Rosemont?

They should have some big incentives to both retain STH and try to get some new STH with some discount or upgrade in the new stadium if you have ST the next couple years.

As a northsider, Seat Geek Stadium presents a serious barrier for getting my fellow STHers to the games if we're "definitely" playing there. We actually discussed it on Saturday, when I was under the impression Wrigley and Soldier Field were the alts. "If it's Seat Geek...forget it."

Part of me wonders if season tickets during this time might be offered as segmented packages. It would not surprise me at all that Wrigley, Soldier(?), and Seat Geek result in a fracture of season ticket "sellability."

• Sad
Reactions: JWalsh795
As a northsider, Seat Geek Stadium presents a serious barrier for getting my fellow STHers to the games if we're "definitely" playing there. We actually discussed it on Saturday, when I was under the impression Wrigley and Soldier Field were the alts. "If it's Seat Geek...forget it."

Part of me wonders if season tickets during this time might be offered as segmented packages. It would not surprise me at all that Wrigley, Soldier(?), and Seat Geek result in a fracture of season ticket "sellability."
If any of you or your friends can make the Bears and the park district easier to deal with, feel free. Otherwise, it’s gonna be what it’s gonna be.

It’s about 40 min from the north side, give or take some depending on how close to LSD you are.

I’d imagine that NU will keep longtime ticketholders’ “purple points” active for the minimum donation, probably not count the two nomadic years against people for “consecutive season” points.

Thanks to all who have advised me how to drive and fly to SeatGeek stadium. I'll consider both, but flying will probably win out. For the 2 games I attended this year, I drove from Erie Pa. to the Cleveland Airport (1.5 hours) and flew from there.

Thanks to all who have advised me how to drive and fly to SeatGeek stadium. I'll consider both, but flying will probably win out. For the 2 games I attended this year, I drove from Erie Pa. to the Cleveland Airport (1.5 hours) and flew from there.
Does southwest fly out of Erie airport? If so, chances are good you can get a direct fly into Midway. From Midway you are looking at literally a 15 minute drive from the Rental car center.

Reactions: No Chores
I’d imagine that NU will keep longtime ticketholders’ “purple points” active for the minimum donation, probably not count the two nomadic years against people for “consecutive season” points.
They basically have a model in place now with how the Wrigley game is separate from the STH package; if they're going to spread games across multiple venues I think it's just a matter of offering packages that account for the fact that some people will want to skip certain venues for their own reasons.

Not to pile it on Gragg here, but I don't have a lot of faith in his leadership to make this work out as well as I believe Phillips would have under the same circumstances.

Reactions: cat inkansas
I’m in the northwest suburbs. Getting to Ryan right now would be 31 minutes, to Seat Geek it would take about 52. Since the program seems to be stabilizing, I plan to renew my two seats for ‘24. And given that Catfans5 has explained to me how inexpensive NU season tickets are compared to other schools, I’ll probably hold my nose and pony up the extra costs for season tickets at the new stadium. What will the name be, Ryan the Second? Ryan, too??

They basically have a model in place now with how the Wrigley game is separate from the STH package; if they're going to spread games across multiple venues I think it's just a matter of offering packages that account for the fact that some people will want to skip certain venues for their own reasons.

Not to pile it on Gragg here, but I don't have a lot of faith in his leadership to make this work out as well as I believe Phillips would have under the same circumstances.

I don’t think Gragg will be the one leading the plan.

I’m in the northwest suburbs. Getting to Ryan right now would be 31 minutes, to Seat Geek it would take about 52. Since the program seems to be stabilizing, I plan to renew my two seats for ‘24. And given that Catfans5 has explained to me how inexpensive NU season tickets are compared to other schools, I’ll probably hold my nose and pony up the extra costs for season tickets at the new stadium. What will the name be, Ryan the Second? Ryan, too??
With that level of commitment, I think FCMCHI Stadium is appropriate.

Thanks for you fandom and support.

Go Cats Go Cats Go!!

• Haha
Reactions: fcmchi

I don't get ir. Like Soldier is easier? Heck, unless you live like 10 mins from CTA, going to Wrigley also sucks.

I don't know where our STHs live but I'm guessing this is no worse than Soldier and All-State, and Wrigley is probably not realistic, considering the Cubs' misguided hopes of WS glory

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT