ADVERTISEMENT

B1G's prospects in next season's playoff

LACatFan

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Ohio State gets smacked down by Clemson 31-0, a year removed from Alabama thumping Michigan State 38-0.

I wonder how these back-to-back epic performances may weigh on the selection committee when next season's final-four rankings are determined? The B1G could well be on the outside looking in.

There have now been six semifinals, and only one close game.

Outside of the Cardale Jones-led Buckeyes beating Alabama, the average semifinal margin of victory is 29 points. (Srsly, Bama-Washington's 17-point margin is the second-closest.)

The B1G has been slaughtered twice, but also won the only close game.

A two-loss champ is at risk of missing out, but I think a one-loss B1G champ almost always gets in. (NU should run the table next year just to be safe.)

Ohio State gets smacked down by Clemson 31-0, a year removed from Alabama thumping Michigan State 38-0.

I wonder how these back-to-back epic performances may weigh on the selection committee when next season's final-four rankings are determined? The B1G could well be on the outside looking in.

No weight at al, imo

No weight at al, imo
Given the television markets represented by the B1G, the selection committee has to have a very strong reason to keep them out. They will use the on-the-field results from the 2017 season, not perceptions from previous play-offs. They would be crucified by the television networks if they did that.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Previous year results won't matter at all when it comes to picking 2017 teams. Did Alabama losing in the first semifinal keep it out of the last 2?

The Big Ten champ DIDNT make the playoffs anyway. The THIRD PLACE TEAM got blown out. Maybe it will force the committee to take the champion rather than the team they "think" deserved it the most. I'd rather see a rule that only teams who qualify for a conference title game are eligible.

Reactions: wildcat1066
Previous year results won't matter at all when it comes to picking 2017 teams. Did Alabama losing in the first semifinal keep it out of the last 2?

The Big Ten champ DIDNT make the playoffs anyway. The THIRD PLACE TEAM got blown out. Maybe it will force the committee to take the champion rather than the team they "think" deserved it the most. I'd rather see a rule that only teams who qualify for a conference title game are eligible.

Given the television markets represented by the B1G, the selection committee has to have a very strong reason to keep them out. They will use the on-the-field results from the 2017 season, not perceptions from previous play-offs. They would be crucified by the television networks if they did that.

According to the defined criteria of the selection process, as it pertains to prior season results, no argument.

But I can't help to wonder about the behind the scenes weight that the TV network writing the check for the broadcast rights may 'hypothetically' bring into the future process. Especially if there is evidence of plummeting viewership during the games where routs occur.

The TV markets represented by the Big-12 and PAC-12 stack up well against the B1G, and it's not like the TV networks haven't had influence over decision making in the big-bucks world of College Football before. Most recently, Big-12 expansion, for example.

.. Maybe it will force the committee to take the champion rather than the team they "think" deserved it the most. I'd rather see a rule that only teams who qualify for a conference title game are eligible.

This. Or move to an eight team playoff.

I don't know about the playoffs, but it'll be a cold day in hell before the league has four teams in the top 10 again unless PSU and Wisconsin perform on Monday.

I don't know about the playoffs, but it'll be a cold day in hell before the league has four teams in the top 10 again unless PSU and Wisconsin perform on Monday.
Yeah, I can't imagine Michigan or Ohio State ever being in the Top 10 again. And Penn State doesn't have a ton of talent returning. And Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State have never been there in recent years .....
So I mean it may not be the pre-season poll (although I'll almost certainly guarantee at least 3) ---- but I'll bet it happens again pretty soon.

Yeah, I can't imagine Michigan or Ohio State ever being in the Top 10 again. And Penn State doesn't have a ton of talent returning. And Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State have never been there in recent years .....
So I mean it may not be the pre-season poll (although I'll almost certainly guarantee at least 3) ---- but I'll bet it happens again pretty soon.

Yes, the B1G gets four teams in the top ten at once so often that the last time it occurred was 1960. Michigan is losing a ton of seniors for next season. Iowa and Michigan State would have to show quantum improvement to get there. I'll give you Ohio State and Penn State. After that, we'll see.

Yes, the B1G gets four teams in the top ten at once so often that the last time it occurred was 1960. Michigan is losing a ton of seniors for next season. Iowa and Michigan State would have to show quantum improvement to get there. I'll give you Ohio State and Penn State. After that, we'll see.
I didn't say it would happen NEXT year. Just that you're dealing with programs that are in the Top 10 a lot. It won't be another 50 years.

I didn't say it would happen NEXT year. Just that you're dealing with programs that are in the Top 10 a lot. It won't be another 50 years.

If Penn State gets hammered a la the Buckeyes today, pollsters and the playoff committee are bound to look at B1G results with a more jaundiced eye next season. I'm not sure Iowa is in the top 10 a lot. Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State all play in the same division, so they're likely to have at least 1-2 losses every season just in divisional play. And you have an unusual situation in the SEC this year where almost no team outside of Alabama had a banner year. Given the talent base and dollar resources down there, that won't continue. The ACC might also get more love after this bowl season.

If Penn State gets hammered a la the Buckeyes today, pollsters and the playoff committee are bound to look at B1G results with a more jaundiced eye next season. I'm not sure Iowa is in the top 10 a lot. Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State all play in the same division, so they're likely to have at least 1-2 losses every season just in divisional play. And you have an unusual situation in the SEC this year where almost no team outside of Alabama had a banner year. Given the talent base and dollar resources down there, that won't continue. The ACC might also get more love after this bowl season.
Absolutely. In the pre-season polls. After the OOC schedule. Everything will adjust. OSU crushed a somewhat overrated Oklahoma in the OOC schedule and ride that win all the way to the play-offs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT