ADVERTISEMENT

Back to NU's approach to Lathon

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
(I hope I can still address this, Lou.)

If I understand Lou's reason for deleting that thread, it underscores how I ABSOLUTELY HATE how poorly NU and specifically Cubbage are handling this from the aspect of the program. Instead of controlling the message, now we have stupid speculation all over the place similar to the thread that was deleted. The USA Today sure did try to stick to the Lathon facts yet threw it out there that "it’s entirely possible that the school’s admissions department decided he simply didn’t meet it’s stringent academic requirements."

The USA Today is doing much of what we are doing here. And if you think this board produces a lot of speculation, imagine what a recruiting rival can do with this over the next couple years in the last days of a decision that is down to NU and two other schools.

"Player X, you understand we don't pull scholarships at Purdue. If you run into academic problems, you won't be wondering about your scholarship in May. And when you get on campus, we have an academic team that can help you ..."

And, that's the soft sell without using the name Northwestern, but invoking the obvious.

I understand when Cubbage appears from behind the curtain, much of his goal is nothing more than limiting any/further litigation. However, does he work for NU or for Lathon? It sure would have been nice if his two sentences actually looked out for the program also and limited some of this BS. There are 101 ways to do this.

How hard is it to turn your two-sentence announcement into three sentences that doesn't completely throw the kid under the bus, but more strongly clarifies NU's reason in a positive light?

Let's give it the five-minute try ...

Northwestern University has revoked its offers of admission and an athletic scholarship for Jordan Lathon, a recruit for the Northwestern men’s basketball team.

At Northwestern, we're proud of our competitive history in the classroom and on the court. All Northwestern athletes are also expected to maintain this level of excellence off the court.

Out of respect for the privacy of the student, the University will have no further public comment.

Now, was that so hard? I said nothing and yet I said something. All with the usual NU CYA PR BS.

Hopefully this gets cleaned up a tad more in the next few weeks or else the program will have this following them for awhile like the original poster in the deleted thread.

(Lou, do you mind if I also reply to the following? I thought it was a good point.)

You really want to judge NU by the actions of other schools. That is a dangerous game. I don't really want to aspire to be Penn State or Michigan State right now.

Good point, but I think your examples are extreme.

I thought some of the same thing about some new Lathon offers. A few of those schools don't have a great history of a similar scrutiny.

OTOH, he reportedly has an offer from Wake Forest. If Lathon ends up there, I think that's a pretty reasonable character witness.

Sec. 112 - I know you're a big fan and I enjoy your posts.

I'm not sure what the paragraph adds. It neither quells speculation nor provides greater insight into what happened.

This is the first time in over 30 years that I recall a scholarship offer has been pulled post LOI signing and so close to the beginning of the academic year. Can't we all infer that it was a serious issue and as a result, Northwestern admissions and the broader administration took appropriate action, even if it may not have been perfect? It's even possible it made a premature decision to allow Lathon to pursue other attractive options. We just don't know.

And wouldn't we all prefer that we overly scrutinize who enrolls and represents Northwestern rather than cleaning up messes after they happen? Erring on the side of caution does not prevent bad things from happening - Lundy, Dewey, Dion - but I'd prefer to limit the scandals as much as possible.

The university has demonstrated in words and in actions that they are serious about aiming for athletic excellence, but on terms Northwestern defines. I support this stance 100% even though it limits who we can recruit, and ultimately, how frequently we win.

Go Cats!

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
NU has leaked information about students and student-athletes before. It's unseemly and it hurts the students affected. Better to just stay quiet and respect the letter and spirit of FERPA. A university can't run on the desires of message board posters.

My thought is that NU did do it the correct way..... They respected the individual, did not throw him under the bus and left the individual and his family the courtesy of releasing information in the way they chose. His comment also was fairly neutral and indicated no animosity towards NU, nor any explanation of what happened indicating to me that they understood what NU had to do and they had a right to do so. The only IF here is that NU decided they did not want to give the individual a second chance for what ever reason. Yes this leaves the situation open to speculation. From my stand point if my kid (and god knows the odds would have been high) screwed up I would appreciate that the institution left specifics under wraps. And yes like any good gossip seeking American, I would like to know what Kim Kardasian is up to but it makes ethical sense to leave a youngster who may have made a mistake try and get on with moving forward. On the other hand I would have liked to have seen NU give the kid a second chance if possible...but I trust their judgement.

How about we all just wait to find out what happened, which we will, and comment then? There have to be like a hundred more things any of us could be thinking about more worth our time.

That thread deserved the death penalty. Brand new poster appears and drops a brief, fact-devoid set of inflammatory innuendos, and we take the bait. Trolling using the Lathon story is like shooting fish in a barrel with a bazooka.

Except Chicagocatfan basically corroborated the story.

That thread deserved the death penalty. Brand new poster appears and drops a brief, fact-devoid set of inflammatory innuendos, and we take the bait. Trolling using the Lathon story is like shooting fish in a barrel with a bazooka.

Except Chicagocatfan basically corroborated the story.
Yup and he was one of the first to suggest that we had Greer coming in. Now I'm just confused about what happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT