ADVERTISEMENT

Badger fans, I apologize

DocCatsFan

Oct 26, 2006
You have been victimized by some of the worst refereeing in history of college sports. Kind of a shallow victory for the Cats. Go drown your sorrows in beer and brats.

I am happy the NU defense was incredible and NU came away with the W, but I feel bad about it. I apologize too. No matter who deserved to win, it should have been based on the 22 people wearing helmets, not those freaking zebras.

Reactions: DocCatsFan
That's nonsense. He made the same signal on NU's last punt. He knew what he was doing. And, the UW receiver was clearly on the one yard line and Peasy juggled the ball. Don't forget the illegal procedure the refs missed on the second to last play when Stave was moving toward the line of scrimmage.

That's nonsense. He made the same signal on NU's last punt. He knew what he was doing. And, the UW receiver was clearly on the one yard line and Peasy juggled the ball. Don't forget the illegal procedure the refs missed on the second to last play when Stave was moving toward the line of scrimmage.
Exactly. The only blown call was the one that gave Wisconsin an extra play.

You have been victimized by some of the worst refereeing in history of college sports. Kind of a shallow victory for the Cats. Go drown your sorrows in beer and brats.
I agree about this game. We were helped by the ref.s. However, in the long arc of history, NU has been on the wrong side of so many mis-officiated games that we are overdue. This is what being a Wolverine fan must be like.

Last edited:
Why would you apologize? We played better. Great defensive game and 5 take aways. Too bad Mitchell missed FGs.
We could have had an easier game.
Did Michigan fans apologize for that FG after regulation time expired?

I agre

I agree about this game. We were helped by the ref.s. However, in the long arc of history, NU has been on the wrong side of so many mis-officiated games that we are overdue. This is what being a Wolverine fan must be like.
I originally thought that the call on the punt return was a bad call. However, if you look at the end zone view, you see one of the Cats in a clear position to make the tackle jog right past the receiver making no effort. He clearly thought it was a fair catch. The announcers discussion about that arm waving motion being standard were incorrect in that when receivers make that motion they then do not field the ball. At worst, they fall on it to keep it from rolling further. They do not make that motion and then return it.

Only questionable call was the invalid fair catch signal, and not sure what that rule is but you could see our players almost stop on the play. Oh there was also the obvious missed call on them not being set on the spike.

Has anyone seen a player do the safe signal then return a punt? I have not, I am curious to see what the big ten says

NU has never been one to count on calls. This time we finally got one... the only game that I ever thought the refs were biased to bad ethics was against Duke a while back.. the calls were so bad against NU.

Well, I definitely agree there.

Look, I'm happy NU got the win. I'm thrilled. Because a win and a dominating defensive performance is always fun. I just didn't feel good about the ending (though I definitely agree the first overturned TD at the end was the right call).

Shut THE HECK UP YOU MORON!!

The refs did their job. The punt return was on Wiscy...NOT the refs. The refs looked at the instant replays and found out that Wiscy didn't get in the endzone, and then bobbled the ball. Why the hell would you say the refs screwed them. We SMASHED THEM IN THE FACE.

Wisconsin did a lot of cheap shots and should have been flagged 10 times but the refs blew it. One blatant kick to Jackson's head where a wiscy player actually stepped on Jackson's head, the punk should have been ejected. THANKFULLY, Frazier didn't return the favor and just pointed to the guy that it was BS, because Frazier would have been flagged.

GREAT WIN and WE TOOK IT.

The punt call was the right call. Fitz even explained it at the end in the interview. Said he would have challenged if the refs didn't call it. The TD at the end was reviewed, so how could they get that wrong? You may hate the rule, but it was the right call. The only blown call was the one that gave Wisky one last play because Stave was clearly moving forward before the snap.

I originally thought that the call on the punt return was a bad call. However, if you look at the end zone view, you see one of the Cats in a clear position to make the tackle jog right past the receiver making no effort. He clearly thought it was a fair catch. The announcers discussion about that arm waving motion being standard were incorrect in that when receivers make that motion they then do not field the ball. At worst, they fall on it to keep it from rolling further. They do not make that motion and then return it.
I saw that too Glide and I'm not up set by the officiating, I'm upset at the impotent offense.

So when bad officiating goes against the Cats and they lose the game (e.g. Michigan 2013), do you think to yourself, "I know we lost on the scoreboard, but it's okay because we deserved the win"?

Dumb.
Of course I don't think it's ok. Just like I'm sure the WI fans aren't thinking it's ok. If anybody could watch this game and not feel that we won this game in large part because of officiating then I think they are drinking some serious purple kool aid. If I were a WI fan, I'd be losing my mind right now. And I guarantee had the shoe been on the other foot our fan board would be on fire right now too.

Of course I'm glad we won. Justin was a stud and the entire defense was as good as it gets. As has been stated, I just wish the game could be decided only on the field and not by refs. Whatever, let's beat IL and get to 10-2!

Of course I don't think it's ok. Just like I'm sure the WI fans aren't thinking it's ok. If anybody could watch this game and not feel that we won this game in large part because of officiating then I think they are drinking some serious purple kool aid. If I were a WI fan, I'd be losing my mind right now. And I guarantee had the shoe been on the other foot our fan board would be on fire right now too.

Of course I'm glad we won. Justin was a stud and the entire defense was as good as it gets. As has been stated, I just wish the game could be decided only on the field and not by refs. Whatever, let's beat IL and get to 10-2!
What play specifically are you talking about?

They will live. We lived and came back to watch football after we got jobbed just about 10,000 times.
Moving on to Illinois!

I personally hate the general interpretation of the control-the-ball-through-the-reception rule. I was joking last week-end with a friend of mine that the receiver has to catch the ball, take it home, package it, mail it to himself, and the return it to the referees before it is called a catch. It gets silly at times. Possibly this is one of those times. HOWEVER, it was not bad officiating on that call. By the present interpretation of that rule, that was a surgically precise call. They were right. Hate the rule. Not the referees that enforce it.

Reactions: Palindrome

You could 't be more wrong. When you hit 2 fairways and 1 green and shoot 71, you don't apologize. You laugh your way all the way to the bank. That said, Phillips should only allow defensive coaches onto the team bus home. O coaches should take the Badger line bus to O'Hare to the bus to des plaines and the 250 route back to Evanston.

Those same fans you are apologizing to were throwing snow balls at our players singing the NU fight song at end of game. Classy.

Those same fans you are apologizing to were throwing snow balls at our players singing the NU fight song at end of game. Classy.

They threw snowballs all game, including at their own cheerleaders, and I was told it is just apparently "a tradition."

I think you meant "WILDCAT fans, I apologize."

because it really sucks that your response to that game was to apologize to Wisconsin instead of praising the NU players for their heart and grit and fight and talent. After that incredible effort, that's just a pathetic response.

Start believing in the kids and coaches on this team. They are doing an incredible job of representing Northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT