ADVERTISEMENT

Badger fans, I apologize

I think you meant "WILDCAT fans, I apologize."

because it really sucks that your response to that game was to apologize to Wisconsin instead of praising the NU players for their heart and grit and fight and talent. After that incredible effort, that's just a pathetic response.

Start believing in the kids and coaches on this team. They are doing an incredible job of representing Northwestern.
Yes I am proud of our players. I always am. Win OR lose.

Fitz seemed to think that was the rule though. Said he would have challenged it if the refs hadn't of called it back.
Then why do we do the same exact thing ALL THE TIME? Someone needs to explain this to me. If I'm wrong I will apologize for my apology.

This time we finally got one... the only game that I ever thought the refs were biased to bad ethics was against Duke a while back.. the calls were so bad against NU.

Perhaps you aren't old enough to remember an excruciatingly hometown ref jobbing of NU in Hawaii in 2004.

We have never done that signal and then tried to return the ball, what games are you watching????
My understanding is that signal is a sign to his own teammates to "get away" so that the bouncing ball doesn't hit them in the back causing a fumble. I didn't believe it had anything whatsoever to do with a fair catch.

My understanding is that signal is a sign to his own teammates to "get away" so that the bouncing ball doesn't hit them in the back causing a fumble. I didn't believe it had anything whatsoever to do with a fair catch.

I guess you know more than the officials, the coaches, and the TV announcers. Wow. I'm impressed.

There is nothing wrong with that signal but the illegal part is doing that invalid signal and the returning the ball. Of course players do that signal all the time but have you ever see one do it then try to return the punt? That's the illegal part

Google search ...

A catch after an invalid signal is not a fair catch, and the ball is dead where caught or recovered. If the signal follows a catch or recovery, the ball is dead when the signal is first given (A.R. 6-5-1-I).

ETA: yea what mike periara says above is what I am saying.

It is, but you're also not allowed to make arm waving motions other than for a fair catch. Normally it doesn't matter, but normally a return man doesn't wave his arms, pick up the ball, and start running.

I did miss that. Thanks for posting that. I feel better. I've gone from thrilled but feeling guilty to just thrilled, but also a little gassy. That last part probably irrelevant.

Reactions: villox
Notice that it was not a penalty. They weren't saying he made a fair catch signal and then started running with it. Instead, he made a signal that you are not allowed to make if you are then to return the ball.

There is nothing wrong with that signal but the illegal part is doing that invalid signal and the returning the ball. Of course players do that signal all the time but have you ever see one do it then try to return the punt? That's the illegal part

Google search ...

A catch after an invalid signal is not a fair catch, and the ball is dead where caught or recovered. If the signal follows a catch or recovery, the ball is dead when the signal is first given (A.R. 6-5-1-I).

Exactly right...Long was in position to drill the returner and clearly pulled up...it's as clear as day. I give the refs credit for making the right call in a hostile environment.

I agree about this game. We were helped by the ref.s. However, in the long arc of history, NU has been on the wrong side of so many mis-officiated games that we are overdue. This is what being a Wolverine fan must be like.
I would say that differently. We weren't hurt by the refs. They called pretty much a good game. Unbelievable ending.

It is, but you're also not allowed to make arm waving motions other than for a fair catch. Normally it doesn't matter, but normally a return man doesn't wave his arms, pick up the ball, and start running.

Bingo, and it totally confused our players. DocCatsFan must be drunk or blind, I have no idea what he is talking about.

Normally the wave off signal is a sign that EVERYONE on the return team is to get away from the ball, including the returner. It's followed by the kicking team watching it roll as far as possible before touching it.

I think we're all thrown off a bit because we never see it as it played out. But it was the correct call.

You have been victimized by some of the worst refereeing in history of college sports. Kind of a shallow victory for the Cats. Go drown your sorrows in beer and brats.
The Wisc punt returner moved towards the ball, fielded it and advanced the ball. The penalty would not have been called if he either moved away from the ball or just covered it. Later in the game he did the same motion but moved away from the ball. No penalty.

BTW did you note the illegal motion on Wisc near the end of the game. You cannot move towards the LOS and take a snap without being set. Not called on them.

You have been victimized by some of the worst refereeing in history of college sports. Kind of a shallow victory for the Cats. Go drown your sorrows in beer and brats.
Looked at both plays and I understand why the calls were made. Generally those calls would not be made but the calls were technically correct.

On the punt return, Erickson's actions (waving) were looked at as trying to call a fair catch and being a little deceptive. Not the usual call but technically correct. The call in the end zone is that with a catch in the end zone, the person must totally complete the process (in this case, all the way to the ground) . He did not. Again technically correct. Generally not something that would overturn a call.

Wisconsin has a beef (or two) but again, the refs were technically correct on both calls.

Reactions: rmndcat
The punt call was the right call. Fitz even explained it at the end in the interview. Said he would have challenged if the refs didn't call it. The TD at the end was reviewed, so how could they get that wrong? You may hate the rule, but it was the right call. The only blown call was the one that gave Wisky one last play because Stave was clearly moving forward before the snap.
10 second run off because the clock was not stopped and the game would have been over.

Reactions: seavue617
10 second run off because the clock was not stopped and the game would have been over.
By the way, I completely agree with people regarding the last plays of the game. Clearly there was illegal procedure on WI.

Of course I don't think it's ok. Just like I'm sure the WI fans aren't thinking it's ok. If anybody could watch this game and not feel that we won this game in large part because of officiating then I think they are drinking some serious purple kool aid. If I were a WI fan, I'd be losing my mind right now. And I guarantee had the shoe been on the other foot our fan board would be on fire right now too.

Of course I'm glad we won. Justin was a stud and the entire defense was as good as it gets. As has been stated, I just wish the game could be decided only on the field and not by refs. Whatever, let's beat IL and get to 10-2!
We all wished it had been easier---but apologizing to the opponents fans is ridiculous. In my opinion. By the way, I think the call on the TD pass has been confirmed as correct. Didn't it happen to us earlier in the year with a C. Jones TD catch? I enjoy your posts and input; but, this isn't your finest hour.

We all wished it had been easier---but apologizing to the opponents fans is ridiculous. In my opinion. By the way, I think the call on the TD pass has been confirmed as correct. Didn't it happen to us earlier in the year with a C. Jones TD catch? I enjoy your posts and input; but, this isn't your finest hour.
Apparently not. I've corrected myself in a separate thread.

Will you stop Doc, please. Our defense abused them all game long. Our offense stunk up the joint but we didn't turn the ball over! We won the game fair and square, what the heck are you apologizing to their fans for?

Will you stop Doc, please. Our defense abused them all game long. Our offense stunk up the joint but we didn't turn the ball over! We won the game fair and square, what the heck are you apologizing to their fans for?
See my other thread.

I think someone is looking for the worst post of the year. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. NU earned this victory and owe no one an apology.

I did miss that. Thanks for posting that. I feel better. I've gone from thrilled but feeling guilty to just thrilled, but also a little gassy. That last part probably irrelevant.

This post is a beautiful thing. :D

What a disgraceful post. Our kids fight like hell on the road to win somewhere they haven't since 2000 and your first impulse is to apologize to the OTHER TEAM'S FANS for a CORRECT CALL by the refs??? That's honestly disgraceful to our kids.

Reactions: NUMBfan
Your understanding is wrong, according to Mike Pereira who I'm going to consider a better rules source than you are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT