ADVERTISEMENT

Baldwin

Why? I'm having fun hammering on your inconsiderate ass. You asked for his qualifications after failing to see his point (which was COMMON SENSE). I know GOUNUII and he's a very competent and considerate person. You? ???

I'm well aware of NU alum pomposity. I went to an NU alumni gathering in 2005 to hear Mark Murphy speak and enjoyed NU alums constantly telling me how much money they made through the deals they were involved with. When they asked me what I do...blank stares. They had to go refresh their drinks and find someone else to boast to. It totally sucked until I met FloridAlum for the first time. He turned out to be Morey Amsterdam and saved the day.
I’m a real nice guy too. Just ask my 3 successful kids. I’m so nice I don’t sh!t on other schools for not being prestigious enough.

I’m a real nice guy too. Just ask my 3 successful kids. I’m so nice I don’t sh!t on other schools for not being prestigious enough.

Now you're showing your desperate side. All because I said the obvious. 5 star basketball recruits don't bother with recruiting mail from places like UW-Milwaukee. Same with NU. It only happens when there is a strong personal connection. Much like selective schools don't bother reviewing applications where the standardized test scores don't meet a minimum. They have enough options above those numbers to meet their goals. That's an objective, informed fact. But by all means keep feeding your prejudices. That's what you do best. One embarrassing facepalm after another has never slowed you down.

GOUNUII

Now you're showing your desperate side. All because I said the obvious. 5 star basketball recruits don't bother with recruiting mail from places like UW-Milwaukee. Same with NU. It only happens when there is a strong personal connection. Much like selective schools don't bother reviewing applications where the standardized test scores don't meet a minimum. They have enough options above those numbers to meet their goals. That's an objective, informed fact. But by all means keep feeding your prejudices. That's what you do best. One embarrassing facepalm after another has never slowed you down.

GOUNUII
You don’t seem very nice.....

I think his point was that going to NU as a big-time basketball prospect would be a waste. I agree that many fans would probably think that. We would all defend why that isn't true, but I certainly understand the perception.

That all said, I see nothing wrong with your original post. I agree with you. In a generic scenario, if my kid had a chance to get a free ride to one of the top schools in the country or my own home school where I work, I would want my kid to reach for the best. I don't think its an unreasonable position. There may be specific reasons why that wouldn't be true for everyone, including the Baldwins. But you were just sharing a reasonable opinion on an internet message board that can then be debated. Not sure why the debate had to turn heated.

“Devoted fathers of gifted kids with great opportunities don’t recruit their kids to Milwaukee.” (Oh, unless the kid is “at risk”.)

Comments like that are why it gets heated.

If PBJ is considering Milwaukee, either PBS is a bad dad, or PBJ is a bad kid.

Couldn’t be anything like, oh, he’s planning on spending one year in college, is a lock as a first round pick, he likes his dad, and he’s never gotten to spend much time with him.

Mostly, GOUNU oozes condescension.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
“Devoted fathers of gifted kids with great opportunities don’t recruit their kids to Milwaukee.” (Oh, unless the kid is “at risk”.)

Couldn’t be anything like, oh, he’s planning on spending one year in college, is a lock as a first round pick, he likes his dad, and he’s never gotten to spend much time with him.

So he overplayed his hand a little bit. We've all done that here from time to time. I sense people on these boards eventually take on the persona that other people here project onto them. Its a feedback loop that maybe we can break.

You don’t seem very nice.....

Spinning honest questions into off point accusations ... and adding the "who the hell do you think you are" you "pompous" and all too typical NU Alum ... isn't likely to get you nice. Not from me anyway.

If you can stay away from the personal insults we'll get along just fine.

GOUNUII

Reactions: IGNORE2
As a former high school coach who had two of my kids play for me I can tell you it was both a great time for all of us and a difficult time. But my program wasn’t dependent on my kids playing for me. They also weren’t the top players on my team.

That being said college is a completely different situation. From everything we’ve heard about Coach Baldwin he wants his son to make his own decision about what’s the best situation for PBJ. I think Coach also knows and has talked about that every athlete is one blown knee away from being an ex-athlete. So you’d better have a good education to fall back on.

IMHO- if PBJ’s main focus is getting ready to go to the Association in one or two years Duke or North Carolina would be his best bets. Because they have a track record of producing players ready for the league. And neither is a slouch school.

If his main focus is academics- combined with a top conference, close to home, and a familiar and comfortable atmosphere - then NU is the place. Plus he could be a history making player at NU, as opposed to just another very good player that came from Duke or Carolina.

My personal “dream scenario” for the Baldwin family is that PBJ chooses NU on his own. Then Dad resigns from UWM and CCC hires him as Associate Head Coach so Father and Son can take the journey together.
I suspect CCC can pay Dad more as an assistant at NU then he’s getting as an HC at UWM. And if NU is successful he’ll get shots at other head coaching jobs in the future.

Reactions: NUCat320 and DaCat
Spinning honest questions into off point accusations ... and adding the "who the hell do you think you are" you "pompous" and all too typical NU Alum ... isn't likely to get you nice. Not from me anyway.

If you can stay away from the personal insults we'll get along just fine.

GOUNUII
Based on all your previous posts, I am positive we wouldn’t get along.

An argument and accusation based entirely on a single sentence taken out of the context and meaning of the thread as a whole. You must be in political advertising.

An argument and accusation based entirely on a single sentence taken out of the context and meaning of the thread as a whole. You must be in political advertising.
Are there other, good, reasons that PBJ might choose to attend UWM?

Are there other, good, reasons that PBJ might choose to attend UWM?

This thread was never intended to be about PBJ and his choices. I have made that perfectly clear. Nobody should question whatever choice he makes.

GOUNUII

Reactions: PurpleHaze525
This thread was never intended to be about PBJ and his choices. I have made that perfectly clear. Nobody should question whatever choice he makes.

GOUNUII
Yes, but your first response was “is PB Sr doing the right thing here?” So you aren’t questioning Jr’s choices, you are questioning Sr’s motives. Still a dick move.

GOUNUII
It’s strange that, within 80 minutes this thread posting , and five total sentences written over three posts (with one acknowledging “lots of pressure on senior”), you chose to write:

“Indeed, I don't think I could ever forgive myself for letting my elite hoops son come play for me in Milwaukee. I just don't see how there would be any winners in the family. The real work of Pat Sr. the father is nearly complete. He needs to let his son go fly on his own. Create his own path as his father does the same.”

Rereading, you’ve said that PBS is a selfish jerk. And then you said the only possible reason PBS should consider welcoming him to Milwaukee is if PBJ is “at-risk.”

Ultimately, you think you’re better than Pat Baldwin, Sr., and everyone else.

Why? I'm having fun hammering on your inconsiderate ass. You asked for his qualifications after failing to see his point (which was COMMON SENSE). I know GOUNUII and he's a very competent and considerate person. You? ???

I'm well aware of NU alum pomposity. I went to an NU alumni gathering in 2005 to hear Mark Murphy speak and enjoyed NU alums constantly telling me how much money they made through the deals they were involved with. When they asked me what I do...blank stares. They had to go refresh their drinks and find someone else to boast to. It totally sucked until I met FloridAlum for the first time. He turned out to be Morey Amsterdam and saved the day.
Money Amsterdam ! That’s great Glades.

It’s strange that, within 80 minutes this thread posting , and five total sentences written over three posts (with one acknowledging “lots of pressure on senior”), you chose to write:

“Indeed, I don't think I could ever forgive myself for letting my elite hoops son come play for me in Milwaukee. I just don't see how there would be any winners in the family. The real work of Pat Sr. the father is nearly complete. He needs to let his son go fly on his own. Create his own path as his father does the same.”

Rereading, you’ve said that PBS is a selfish jerk. And then you said the only possible reason PBS should consider welcoming him to Milwaukee is if PBJ is “at-risk.”

Ultimately, you think you’re better than Pat Baldwin, Sr., and everyone else.

Still trying to jam this round peg into a square hole.

GOUNUII

Reactions: NUCat320
Yes, but your first response was “is PB Sr doing the right thing here?” So you aren’t questioning Jr’s choices, you are questioning Sr’s motives. Still a dick move.

You sure have a strange itch to anonymously insult people over the Internet. Even to the point of adding layers of fictional content to prop up your insults. Only you injected motives into the discussion. Notwithstanding my acknowledgement there are no clear cut right or wrong answers to this unusual dilemma.

GOUNUII

Still trying to jam this round peg into a square hole.

GOUNUII
Always a joy when the esteemed lawyer goes with the “ ‘fraid not” defense. I look forward to “I’m rubber you’re glue” next time.

RIP Jerry Stiller
I guess it's Festivus every day on this thread...….

GOU is a father of four successful children.

All GOUNUII said is a smart father should want what's best for his son, like playing in a tougher league for better development, and not the other way around. Borrowing from science, it's an evolutionarily sound strategy and common sense. If the son wants to play for the father, fine but it may not be what's best for his career and his father should at least tell him that. Isn't that obvious?
Yes, Glades it's all biological. Sheesh! But what about the star system?

Teddy G. article in Tribune reports UW Milwaukee "in the lead" for Pat Baldwin Jr.
He is NOT going to Duke. That's the story Dukeboy. Not sure if he is coming here but you can scratch off Duke. Don't get me wrong, Duke will make the "Top 5" but there really is only a top 3 anyways. NU is in that. A bird told me.

He is NOT going to Duke. That's the story Dukeboy. Not sure if he is coming here but you can scratch off Duke. Don't get me wrong, Duke will make the "Top 5" but there really is only a top 3 anyways. NU is in that. A bird told me.

Alright, I’ll play. Besides NU and Milwaukee, who is the third?

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
Alright, I’ll play. Besides NU and Milwaukee, who is the third?
In my no insider opinion you put NU and Milwaukee with probably Duke or whatever top basically school you’re thinking about and that’s your top 3. Honestly between “top basketball school” Milwaukee and NU he’s not making a bad choice given his skill level.

Unlike so many recruits that have to learn what the NU experience is all about, PBJ knows first hand. So it looks like NU has a real shot at PBJ.

If NU reacquires his dad as a coach, NU has a real good shot. Let it happen. (Would be good for the coaching staff regardless.)

Reactions: willycat
RIVALS says its Duke:

Over the weekend, our Corey Evans reported that top three junior Patrick Baldwin Jr. is down to a final 10 of Duke, Georgetown, Kentucky, Michigan, Milwaukee, North Carolina, Northwestern, UCLA, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Perhaps as fundamentally sound and skilled as any player in the country, regardless of class, Baldwin Jr. is the son of a coach (Patrick Baldwin Sr. who heads up Milwaukee and played his college ball at Northwestern) and it shows. Not only is he sound, he's a quiet killer who doesn't back off the gas pedal when he's got an opponent down.

So, who is the favorite? Right now it sure looks to be Duke. That's who I made my Futurecast pick for last week and the Blue Devils hold basically every pick that has been made to this point. It's understandable, he fits and he thinks highly of Mike Krzyzewski. But, it's not totally a done deal yet. I do think there's some intrigue with Kentucky, Northwestern could be a sleeper because of family ties and of course Milwaukee could be an interesting spot as long as his father is the head coach.

But for now, let's set Duke as the favorite.

Reactions: AnotherSwede
Who knows but it isnt Duke. It is a package deal as well and it seems to me that it will come down to NU or Wisconsin. Wisconsin will make the top 3 from what FB said.

RIVALS says its Duke:

Over the weekend, our Corey Evans reported that top three junior Patrick Baldwin Jr. is down to a final 10 of Duke, Georgetown, Kentucky, Michigan, Milwaukee, North Carolina, Northwestern, UCLA, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Perhaps as fundamentally sound and skilled as any player in the country, regardless of class, Baldwin Jr. is the son of a coach (Patrick Baldwin Sr. who heads up Milwaukee and played his college ball at Northwestern) and it shows. Not only is he sound, he's a quiet killer who doesn't back off the gas pedal when he's got an opponent down.

So, who is the favorite? Right now it sure looks to be Duke. That's who I made my Futurecast pick for last week and the Blue Devils hold basically every pick that has been made to this point. It's understandable, he fits and he thinks highly of Mike Krzyzewski. But, it's not totally a done deal yet. I do think there's some intrigue with Kentucky, Northwestern could be a sleeper because of family ties and of course Milwaukee could be an interesting spot as long as his father is the head coach.

But for now, let's set Duke as the favorite.
Maybe Duke will be placed on probation for the 2021 season if all the Zion/Nike issues blow up over the next few months? One can dream...

Reactions: Sec.112
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT