ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Cats win home opener!

Pasadena Bound

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Went to our home opener today and saw a Wildcat victory over Northern Illinois. Really enjoyed myself and there was a decent turnout for 45 degree weather. I am aware of the turmoil in the coaching staff and really want these guys to grow this season and have fun. I sat behind the NU dugout and saw the joy on our players faces after getting hits and scoring. They seem like a tight knit group. Was really impressed with some of our players-Elko (2B), Arnone (RF), Tanner (LF), McElfatrick (CF) and Calarco (C). Others contributed as well, a real team effort. Hopefully, our new pitching coach will have an impact on that position. I will attend more games and encourage everyone to come out. Easy to get good seats, concessions were pretty good and the stadium is very impressive. Always fun to see our guys win. Congrats to the team and Go ‘Cats!

Last edited:
Went to our home opener today and saw a Wildcat victory over Northern Illinois. Really enjoyed myself and there was a decent turnout for 45 degree weather. I am aware of the turmoil in the coaching staff and really want these guys to grow this season and have fun. I sat behind the NU dugout and saw the joy on our players faces after getting hits and scoring. They seem like a tight knit group. Was really impressed with some of our players-Elko (2B), Arnone (RF), Tanner (LF), McElfatrick (CF) and Calarco (C). Others contributed as well, a real team effort. Hopefully, our new pitching coach will have an impact on that position. I will attend more games and encourage everyone to come out. Easy to get good seats, concessions were pretty good and the stadium is very impressive. Always fun to see our guys win. Congrats to the team and Go ‘Cats!
I had similar experience the past Saturday in Houston. Saw the Cats play day & night DH after a 13-inning game the day before. Looked like pitching wilted, especially in the last game. But I had the same view as PB concerning spirit and seeming unity of the team, especially as they've been hammered pretty badly at times so far this season.

I also was impressed by the players mentioned, especially Carlarco at bat and behind the plate. I also thought Liolios at 3B was a highlight, especially as a 1st-year player. There's more talent than I expected to see, but can they be kept at NU? I spoke with a family member of one player and was told the team in general wasn't cheered by departure of coaches. No surprise there. The impression was of inadequate coaching so far; maybe the addition of Anderson will help. According to the family member, quite a few Cats players are talking among themselves about transferring out. But maybe things will stabilize somewhat, and a few conference victories surely would help.

In the meantime, it's obvious Coach Foster hasn't -- as the saying goes -- climbed into a warm bed.

Hopefully AD Derrick Gragg can work with Coach Foster to fix what needs fixing. The problem is still not clear to me. Whatever the issue(s), Gragg hired Coach Foster so he “owns” it. To me, the jury is still out on Gragg…hope he can rise to the occasion.

Reactions: WildcatWillie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT