ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Skowronek

It is too bad, however, that he didn't stick around. we could definitely have used his talent.

Don't exactly fault him for transferring considering the circumstances, but why did it have to be the Domers?

Definitely could have used Skowronek - would have given Ramsey a big target on the field opposite of RC, esp. for the MSU game where Ram would repeatedly roll to his right to escape pressure, but ended up throwing the ball away bc there wasn't an open receiver or one who could go up and get 50/50 balls on the right side of the field.

Think with Ram, Skow would have put up good enough #s to get drafted late.

Last edited:
At any rate, can someone give me one good reason why any wr recruit with other serious P5 opportunity would want to come here if not to stay close to home or daddy played here?
Fitz offenses are downright awful.
Playing time in the B1G. Robinson had the most scrimmage yards of his career on a terrible offense while missing essentially two full games. If you go to a more loaded program you aren't as likely to get the ball in your hands often.

Playing time in the B1G. Robinson had the most scrimmage yards of his career on a terrible offense while missing essentially two full games. If you go to a more loaded program you aren't as likely to get the ball in your hands often.
Sad that Fitz couldnt recruit a functioning QB or OL up to Robinsons level.
If Im a wr, id go where there was a good qb.

If you tell a 17 year old kid - "The reason our offenses have been so stagnant is that we have never had a receiver of your ability" that might answer that question to the kid's satisfaction.

Otherwise you are selling the value of the NU degree and the program's history of graduating its players.
I don't think this works. First, it's B.S. Any kid/parent can take 15 minutes and learn that we had NFL types in Kyle Prater, Austin Carr and Big Ben, who had good years with us, in spite of our below average-to-terrible offenses. And they can watch highlights from 2018-21 to see that it is all about the scheme and the QB (and the QB's ability to function behind a weak line)

Trouble was we weren't that great offensively in 2020. Yeah, way better than 2019, but we weren't going to beat OSU in 2020 with or without Skowronek. He could have been the difference in the MSU game possibly, but not in Indy.
Agree that we weren’t great offensively. Disagree that it wouldn’t have made a difference vs OSU. In the 4th quarter if we get one long, clock eating TD drive and don’t give it back to them to get that last score that’s a 14 point swing. We had control of that game for longer than we did against MSU (actually we never really had control vs MSU).

Agree that we weren’t great offensively. Disagree that it wouldn’t have made a difference vs OSU. In the 4th quarter if we get one long, clock eating TD drive and don’t give it back to them to get that last score that’s a 14 point swing. We had control of that game for longer than we did against MSU (actually we never really had control vs MSU).
Ramsey threw 3 picks. He singlehandedly gave OSU the game. Skowronek might have made it closer, but giving OSU 3 extra possessions that year wasn't going to produce a win. Ramsey probably destroyed his NFL hopes with that game.

Ramsey threw 3 picks. He singlehandedly gave OSU the game. Skowronek might have made it closer, but giving OSU 3 extra possessions that year wasn't going to produce a win. Ramsey probably destroyed his NFL hopes with that game.
Yeah I guess the loss had nothing to do with the unstoppable running of Sermons that game.

Yeah I guess the loss had nothing to do with the unstoppable running of Sermons that game.
The subject was Skowronek and if he could have won the title game. And Ramsey throwing 3 ints sealed the deal by giving Sermons plenty more time on the field. OSU was an offensive juggernaut that season. Giving them 3 extra possessions didn't help our cause. That was implied with my original post.

The subject was Skowronek and if he could have won the title game. And Ramsey throwing 3 ints sealed the deal by giving Sermons plenty more time on the field. OSU was an offensive juggernaut that season. Giving them 3 extra possessions didn't help our cause. That was implied with my original post.
But you said Ramsey singlehandedly gave OSU the game. Not true.

Despite the 3 picks AND Sermons running wild in the second half we were still down only 6 with under 5 minutes to go in the game. Perhaps Skowronek would’ve gotten more open looks for Ramsey in the second half and he wouldn’t have forced all those INTs.

I think the most significant thing, other than Ramseys meltdown near the endzone, was Newsome scratching himself off after halftime.
Of course, never mind that OSU had 8 starters out and half their depth chart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT