ADVERTISEMENT

Bid Thieves, March 9

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
There continues to be little noise on the bid thief front. The ACC elite took care of business, for example. Still, it's early, and we could get bid thieves from seven more conferences. Given the rare possibility of a conference providing two bid thieves, there are probably current projected 10th seeds that are not 100% safely in, but it's looking good for those above that level (like NU, who BracketMatrix puts in as the third #9 seed right now).

Still, if you're still worried, here's how Thursday looks:

Big 10: Four games: Iowa, Indiana and Illinois all are desperate for wins. Iowa-Indiana loser is definitely out. Winner could make the field even without winning the tournament (though Iowa is in better shape).

Big 12: Quarterfinals. TCU might have a chance with a victory over Kansas and a bit more help. Kansas State is right on the bubble, but they probably get in with a victory over Baylor.

Big East: Quarterfinals. Marquette-Seton Hall is a good one, as the winner is probably in and the loser starts sweating. Providence can get a big boost with a win over Creighton, but they're not safe yet. St. John's has Villanova and is the only team left here that has to run the table.

Conference USA: Quarterfinals. Middle Tennessee isn't a lock yet, so they just probably win the tourney just to be on the safe side, but if they don't lose the tourney, this could be a surprise two-bid conference.

Pac-12. Quarterfinals. USC is down 10 as I type this. If they come back and play UCLA, they may need to win that one to get a bid. Utah-Cal is interesting. California is closer to the bubble, but I just don't see it. The winner of this game is going to have to go pretty far to have a chance, and I don't think Utah can still get a bid unless they win the conference tourney.

A10: four games, but top of conference plays Friday.
AAC: three games, but top of conference plays Friday.
ACC: Quarterfinals, no bid thieves left
Big Sky: Quarterfinals in one-bid conference.
Big West: Quarterfinals in one-bid conference.
MAC: Quarterfinals in one-bid conference.
MEAC: Two games in a one-bid conference.
MWC: Quarterfinals in maybe a one-bid conference, though Nevada could get an at-large.
SEC: four games, but top of conference plays Friday.
Southland: Two games in a one-bid conference.
WAC: three games, but top of conference plays Friday.

174 teams still have chance to get a bid and win it all.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Yeah, the RPI isn't great, especially if Rutgers wins tonight. However, if Michigan beats Illinois today, it may not even matter.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Yeah, the RPI isn't great, especially if Rutgers wins tonight. However, if Michigan beats Illinois today, it may not even matter.

Yeah, at the moment, there hasn't been enough weirdness to really threaten NU.

Wins by Wake Forest and Indiana on Saturday were absolutely huge. Had the Hoosiers came up short, NU would have received their first bad loss. Tack on an additional sub 100 defeat tonight coupled with Michigan falling out of the top 50 and the resume would have weakened considerably.

TCU beating Kansas at halftime. Perhaps a bid thief will win the Big 12 Tourney.

UTEP (my other team) is pounding Rice by 20 at halftime. They went on a tear to end the season (after an absolutely putrid start; one of the biggest in-season turnarounds I've ever seen) and are the only CUSA team to beat MTSU. Assuming they hold on, the rematch between UTEP and MTSU tomorrow will be one to watch; given our stance on bid thieves here, I might be the only one cheering for UTEP.

We need a win against Rutgers then we should be secure. If you just look at RPI, NU is very much on the bubble.

With all of the bubble team losses today, I believe we could lose to Rutgers by 50 and still be in. Simple math; there are just not enough teams that can pass us at this point

With all of the bubble team losses today, I believe we could lose to Rutgers by 50 and still be in. Simple math; there are just not enough teams that can pass us at this point

I agree with this, but I enjoy looking at the whole picture regardless.

I agree with this, but I enjoy looking at the whole picture regardless.

And I don't mind that you do, not at all. It is just that some people misinterpret this into thinking that teams like the Illini (??? could have stolen our bid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT