ADVERTISEMENT

Big Matt

Guess the players:

Yr%MinORtg%Poss%ShotseFG%TS%OR%DR%ARateTORateBlk%Stl%FC/40FD/40FTRateFTM-APct2PM-APct3PM-APct
Jr67.7124.22527.257.8611018.4119.56.11.63.74.535.6101-1320.765159-2730.58237-980.377
Jr52.2115.61713.661.45911.618.71214.97.11.93.84.164.343-900.47886-1400.6140-00

I know people have weighed in on this already, but here is my wishlist for Big Matt, in what I consider to be order of priority:
  1. A primary low-post move: jump-hook would seem to be the best option, but whatever it is, it needs to be something reliable enough to be an option for every half-court possession. Having one would give the team another option to get points, other than having Chase or Boo bail us out when the shot clock is winding down. Especially if it draws a foul and gets him to the line.
  2. Improved free-throw shooting: regardless of our team roster, I expect MN to be big offensive contributor. But if he can't improve his FT shooting percentage, he will be a liability to have on the court at the end of the game when we are protecting the lead. In addition, the more he develops #1, the more opposing defenses will be tempted to foul him to prevent the easy basket and take their chances with him on the charity stripe. He needs to become a decent enough shooter to punish them for doing that. He ended the year at 47.8%. I think he needs to be in the 60-70% range for this to avoid being a big liability. (70% is around the historical NCAA average)
  3. Stamina: Tydus is gone next year, so I think Luke Hunger is the only player currently on the roster that can back up Matt at center. He will need to play more minutes than this year's 21 per game. While I don't expect him to jump up to 30 mpg, I think 26 to 28 minutes played would be helpful. He is most valuable to the team when he is on the floor and able to be a defensive force protecting the paint, not when he's on the bench.
  4. Improve positioning for rebounding, particularly offensive rebounds: Assuming that our team shooting percentage doesn't undergo the same transformation that the defense underwent, one of Big Matt's best ways to contribute is to improve our second chance rate. Our offensive rebounding percentage as a team was 27%. (For context, Purdue was 37%!). If he could help raise that percentage to 30% (which would take us from 166th to 75th in the nation), that would be huge. Becoming a dominant rebounder, particularly on the offensive glass, is certainly within his achievable skillset.
  5. A short-to-mid range jumper: something in the 6-8ft range, with a 40%+ accuracy, would increase his offensive versatility and make him significantly harder to defend. But I would rather he develop the other 4 things on this list first.
Thats a good wishlist.

One quibble - Stamina is a tough one. On one hand he's 270 lbs and Collins has him doing a lot on both ends of the floor. He looked tired occasionally. On the other hand, I never saw him ask to come out of a game and he normally did not look tired when he was removed from games - his playing time may be more a function of the coach's mindset.

Reactions: drewjin
I see BB as a 3. Do you think he is more of a guard? I think he has a really good handle for a 3 but would get stripped naked if defended by the 1 or 2 of the other team.
I see him as being able to play 2/3/4. Even some PG. He has better ball handling skill than anyone on the team not named Buie or Audige

I know people have weighed in on this already, but here is my wishlist for Big Matt, in what I consider to be order of priority:
  1. A primary low-post move: jump-hook would seem to be the best option, but whatever it is, it needs to be something reliable enough to be an option for every half-court possession. Having one would give the team another option to get points, other than having Chase or Boo bail us out when the shot clock is winding down. Especially if it draws a foul and gets him to the line.
  2. Improved free-throw shooting: regardless of our team roster, I expect MN to be big offensive contributor. But if he can't improve his FT shooting percentage, he will be a liability to have on the court at the end of the game when we are protecting the lead. In addition, the more he develops #1, the more opposing defenses will be tempted to foul him to prevent the easy basket and take their chances with him on the charity stripe. He needs to become a decent enough shooter to punish them for doing that. He ended the year at 47.8%. I think he needs to be in the 60-70% range for this to avoid being a big liability. (70% is around the historical NCAA average)
  3. Stamina: Tydus is gone next year, so I think Luke Hunger is the only player currently on the roster that can back up Matt at center. He will need to play more minutes than this year's 21 per game. While I don't expect him to jump up to 30 mpg, I think 26 to 28 minutes played would be helpful. He is most valuable to the team when he is on the floor and able to be a defensive force protecting the paint, not when he's on the bench.
  4. Improve positioning for rebounding, particularly offensive rebounds: Assuming that our team shooting percentage doesn't undergo the same transformation that the defense underwent, one of Big Matt's best ways to contribute is to improve our second chance rate. Our offensive rebounding percentage as a team was 27%. (For context, Purdue was 37%!). If he could help raise that percentage to 30% (which would take us from 166th to 75th in the nation), that would be huge. Becoming a dominant rebounder, particularly on the offensive glass, is certainly within his achievable skillset.
  5. A short-to-mid range jumper: something in the 6-8ft range, with a 40%+ accuracy, would increase his offensive versatility and make him significantly harder to defend. But I would rather he develop the other 4 things on this list first.
I see 5 as an extension of 1. And you have to remember , it is the team that rebounds and the center's prime responsibility is to block out so others can get those rebounds, Still get his share but I see the goal is the team getting the rebounds (including offensive) as being the goal rather than him specifically getting the rebounds

Reactions: IGNORE2
I’m
Guess the players:

Yr%MinORtg%Poss%ShotseFG%TS%OR%DR%ARateTORateBlk%Stl%FC/40FD/40FTRateFTM-APct2PM-APct3PM-APct
Jr67.7124.22527.257.8611018.4119.56.11.63.74.535.6101-1320.765159-2730.58237-980.377
Is Player A Edey? B is big Matt?

You are correct that Player B is Matt. Player A is a former Big Ten player as well within the past decade.

Alright, it's been a day. Player A is Frank Kaminsky in his junior year when he broke out and they went to the Final Four. Obviously Matt isn't going to develop the 3 point range, but if he can make a similar leap to what Kaminsky did his senior year, he will be a dominant force next year.

Alright, it's been a day. Player A is Frank Kaminsky in his junior year when he broke out and they went to the Final Four. Obviously Matt isn't going to develop the 3 point range, but if he can make a similar leap to what Kaminsky did his senior year, he will be a dominant force next year.
I continue to believe that Matt doesn’t need to jump to that level: if he literally develops just one pretty decent move to the basket that works with his back to the basket from inside 5-6 feet, he’ll score like 8 extra points per game on 4-5 shots from offensive rebounds alone. That would be HUGE.

That is how he was used. Again he was second in rebounding and steals but had no primary ball handling responsibility.
Um… you are somehow suggesting steals support the contention he is a forward?

Oh, Nance is not a five. Don’t care how he was used, he is an S4.

At best, you are making the argument ccc misused Berry. I don’t agree. Berry played outside the paint, was an option to break the press and played like a traditional SG. He usually began defense sets defending one of the opposing off guards.

There are plenty of 6'5/6" guards arpound. Talking about the way both were used, Barnhizer was used much more as a guard than Berry ever was
He is a white, smarter and better looking Scottie pippen.

Guess the players:

Have no idea what many of those categories are

• Love

At best, you are making the argument ccc misused Berry. I don’t agree. Berry played outside the paint, was an option to break the press and played like a traditional SG. He usually began defense sets defending one of the opposing off guards.
No I am just saying where he made an impact. Regardless of what you think about his size, he was used as a small forward. Jitim Young was 6'1" and while he did play somewhat as a guard, much of his play was more of a 3/4. How the person is used determines what they are more than size.

• Wow

His play and the way he was used was as a small forward. His skill set warranted his use in that way and not as a guard.

I have not even read your post and feel compelled to comment on the impeccable formatting. It sooths my mild OCD.
Thanks. I'd say that it is an occupational hazard, but no on would believe it, given the stereotype of my profession, at least in regards to penmanship.

And I would qualify my own OCD tendencies as "moderate" at least. :)

Thats a good wishlist.

One quibble - Stamina is a tough one. On one hand he's 270 lbs and Collins has him doing a lot on both ends of the floor. He looked tired occasionally. On the other hand, I never saw him ask to come out of a game and he normally did not look tired when he was removed from games - his playing time may be more a function of the coach's mindset.
Thanks, I figured you would appreciate the list.

Yeah, I agree that stamina is tough to ask for, but I do think it is possible, based on the fact that this was his first year will significant minutes and his conditioning should improve. Also, I think his play this year helped earn Collins' trust and may allow him to be left in games for longer stretches.

For what it’s worth, I think Matt finishes much better than Creighton’s skinny tall dude. Even when skinny tall Bluejay had a few lob opportunities, he didn’t seem quick enough to go get ‘em.

Everybody hates when big guys miss close to the hoop, but the Bluejay had a look of hopelessness when he did. Matt still looked like a behemoth.

I see 5 as an extension of 1. And you have to remember , it is the team that rebounds and the center's prime responsibility is to block out so others can get those rebounds, Still get his share but I see the goal is the team getting the rebounds (including offensive) as being the goal rather than him specifically getting the rebounds
Good point regarding #5.

And yes, rebounding is definitely a whole team effort. However, given his size advantage, I think it is not unreasonable to hope for him pulling down a greater share of the team's rebounds.

There are a couple of advanced metrics on rebounding, that are much better, in my opinion, than rebounds per game (which is highly dependent on the number of opportunities, which in turn is dependent on the FG% for both teams). The first is rebounding rate or rebounding percentage: the percentage of missed shots a player rebounds during his time in the game. This is still a little flawed, because it doesn't account for times when allows a teammate to grab a board. This stat essentially penalizes players who are on a team with other good rebounders.

Having said that, Matt's overall rebounding rate was 15.3%, which would rank him 9th in the Big Ten, behind: Edey (21.1%!), TJD, Omoyuri, Reed, Reese, Sissoko, Njie, and Dickinson. I don't think it's unreasonable for Big Matt to climb that list next year.

I would love to know how Matt did on adjusted rebounding percentage. I can't find any other reference for this stat, but it sounds like it accounts for opportunities where the ball bounces far away from where the player could reasonably grab it, or where no effort to rebound is made by the player (because he allows a teammate to get it).

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
For what it’s worth, I think Matt finishes much better than Creighton’s skinny tall dude. Even when skinny tall Bluejay had a few lob opportunities, he didn’t seem quick enough to go get ‘em.

Everybody hates when big guys miss close to the hoop, but the Bluejay had a look of hopelessness when he did. Matt still looked like a behemoth.
I had the same thoughts watching the CU guy. And he was first team all conference! Matt seems MUCH more coordinated, some of the shot attempts by that kid were pathetic. I think it must be paartly lack of confidence holding Matthew back, he really doesn't look for any low post shot.

The Russian Center on FAU on the other hand is pretty skilled. Hope Matthew watches him and takes notes.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Good point regarding #5.

And yes, rebounding is definitely a whole team effort. However, given his size advantage, I think it is not unreasonable to hope for him pulling down a greater share of the team's rebounds.

There are a couple of advanced metrics on rebounding, that are much better, in my opinion, than rebounds per game (which is highly dependent on the number of opportunities, which in turn is dependent on the FG% for both teams). The first is rebounding rate or rebounding percentage: the percentage of missed shots a player rebounds during his time in the game. This is still a little flawed, because it doesn't account for times when allows a teammate to grab a board. This stat essentially penalizes players who are on a team with other good rebounders.

Having said that, Matt's overall rebounding rate was 15.3%, which would rank him 9th in the Big Ten, behind: Edey (21.1%!), TJD, Omoyuri, Reed, Reese, Sissoko, Njie, and Dickinson. I don't think it's unreasonable for Big Matt to climb that list next year.

I would love to know how Matt did on adjusted rebounding percentage. I can't find any other reference for this stat, but it sounds like it accounts for opportunities where the ball bounces far away from where the player could reasonably grab it, or where no effort to rebound is made by the player (because he allows a teammate to get it).
I wish you had time to post more regularly!

The rebounding rate is definitely a better stat than "rebounds" or anything that simply aggregates without adjusting for playing time. So "rebounds per game" isn't nearly as useful as "rebounds per 40 minutes" or "rebounds per 100 possessions" and those aren't as good as "pct of available rebounds."

It should be noted that Nicholson is away from the basket more than those other players, in general. There's no way to account for that. It seems likely that the big guys get fewer defensive rebounds when the opponent is shooting more 3's, probably the same on the offensive side.

Good point regarding #5.

Nicholson was 4th in conference at offensive rebound rate though. Verhoeven would've been 11th but he played less than 16mpg in conference play so he didn't qualify.

Matt's big 21st birthday bash is today.
Word on the street is that "everybody is going."
The 7'1" 270 lbs behemoth can now drink alcohol legally.

In other news, The Mountain Matt appears to have abandoned the teen wolf look as of 10 days ago...

FuLdQ9gWAA8sIuf

Matt's big 21st birthday bash is today.
Word on the street is that "everybody is going."
The 7'1" 270 lbs behemoth can now drink alcohol legally.

In other news, The Mountain Matt appears to have abandoned the teen wolf look as of 10 days ago...

FuLdQ9gWAA8sIuf

My man Matt is exploring his sexiness. Now he puts out a pic, showing the world his skivvies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT