ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Championship: NU vs. Indiana

Indiana is at minimum the second best team in the east. Would have to play there A game but it is not out of the realm for them to beat OSU

Reactions: Titanium999
That would be an unfair B1G Championship Game. IU would have the home field advantage in Indy. The ushers and arena staff in attendance would give IU an unfair boost
No fans allowed , thus no ushers needed.

Indiana is at minimum the second best team in the east. Would have to play there A game but it is not out of the realm for them to beat OSU

Maryland, the team we beat soundly two weeks ago, might have something to say about that.

This is something the Big Ten needs. We’re all sick of OSU and Wisconsin. Fitz and Allen are probably the most genuine coaches in this conference too.

I had a similar thought earlier today. Obviously I want NU to run the table and get to Indy, but I think the likelihood that Indiana can beat OSU is slim.

The other downside of an NU-IU Championship game is that it will probably hurt the perception of the Big Ten on a national level. For better or for worse, the perception of the strength of any conference is greatly influenced by whether the top team is included in the CFP. And right now, the only team that is perceived to have a shot at representing the Big Ten in the CFP is OSU.

I think it would make for a fascinating debate on ESPN if OSU gets upset in the Championship game - would the CFP leave out the Big Ten Champ just because it's not the team that was expected at the beginning of the season? Probably not, if that team went undefeated. But if the Big Ten Champ has one-loss and is anyone other than OSU, I think we're left out of the CFP. I don't think this is fair, but unfortunately, I think this is the way things are going.

I had a similar thought earlier today. Obviously I want NU to run the table and get to Indy, but I think the likelihood that Indiana can beat OSU is slim.

The other downside of an NU-IU Championship game is that it will probably hurt the perception of the Big Ten on a national level. For better or for worse, the perception of the strength of any conference is greatly influenced by whether the top team is included in the CFP. And right now, the only team that is perceived to have a shot at representing the Big Ten in the CFP is OSU.

I think it would make for a fascinating debate on ESPN if OSU gets upset in the Championship game - would the CFP leave out the Big Ten Champ just because it's not the team that was expected at the beginning of the season? Probably not, if that team went undefeated. But if the Big Ten Champ has one-loss and is anyone other than OSU, I think we're left out of the CFP. I don't think this is fair, but unfortunately, I think this is the way things are going.
I think any 9-0 Big Ten team would be represented.

That would be an incredible storyline!

How about we go undefeated, Ramsey beats IU in the B1G Championship, and we head to the college playoff. Not wishing any injury, but let's say we get by Alabama somehow, but lose Ramsey to injury. Andrew Marty gets the call but is ineffective as we go down 3 TD's. And in steps transfer Hunter Johnson, who comes in and leads us back to an impossible victory over Clemson. Now, that would be a storyline.

How about we go undefeated, Ramsey beats IU in the B1G Championship, and we head to the college playoff. Not wishing any injury, but let's say we get by Alabama somehow, but lose Ramsey to injury. Andrew Marty gets the call but is ineffective as we go down 3 TD's. And in steps transfer Hunter Johnson, who comes in and leads us back to an impossible victory over Clemson. Now, that would be a storyline.
You should be published!

Didn't Maryland almost (and should have) beat osu a few years ago? The md qb missed the open wr in the endzone that would have won it for them?? Before PDay was their coach? I really hope that osu doesn't have their opponents beat before they even play them. Purdue savagely beat osu two years ago right? So if osu has an off night then they feasibly can be defeated. Stranger things have happened and I wouldn't be suprised if it happens by the hands of Ind/md/or michigan.

Would love an IU/NU championship game. While I would also love an IU win at OSU, if it's at all close in the 2nd half, the BT refs will be on close watch by the league to keep the Bucks unblemished to get them to the CFP. They already gave them a leg up with the schedule. Some things are just too obvious. And finally, yes, if a BT team runs the table at 9-0, be it OSU, NU or IU, will certainly have earned a berth in the CFP. One of these years, would be nice to get a 2nd BT team in the CFP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT