ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten men's teams in the news or in action

Watched a 25 minute "highlight video" of Saturdays game between Ohio State and Indiana (won by Indiana 86-70 in Bloomington)

The Hoosiers were sparked by Malik Reneau, a 6'9" 235 freshman.
Reneau had 15 points an 8 rebounds in 23 minutes off the bench.
The "starters" (Miller Kopp and Race Thompson) combined for 51 minutes, 10 points and 6 boards.

Freshman Jalen Hood-Schifino had 24 points on 12 shots.

Unfortunately, the Hoosiers are moving up.
IU really seems to be coming around. RoboKopp had a BIG game last night. Mulcahy and McConnell sucked.

Would be great to see Michigan knock off IU and cement the Wolverinz as a Quad 2 team (loss). We need every little break we can get for the tournament.

Reactions: drewjin
Near end of the game, did you guys see the attempted trip by Mulcahy of TJD? It’s all over Twitter. Total punk move by Mulcahy. Of course, the BT refs totally missed it. Didn’t go to the monitor. Trayce kept his cool.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I read your comment and looked up Indiana's numbers against the Big Ten.
With all the doubling of TJD in the post, they are shooting 39.3% as a team from outside the arc.
Three starters shooting between 40% and 50% on 3's, including Kopp at 46.7%.
Kopp has the lowest usage rate on the team but he’s incredibly efficient when he does shoot. His 66.7 effective FG% is 10th in the nation. He’s found a good role this year.

Good road win by Wisconsin tonight might bump them back into the top 75 and elevate our win there on Sunday back to Quad 1 (and the home win to Quad 2)

Tonight was very good to the Cats.

Illinois, Rutgers, and Michigan all lost.
Did you see that WIS was able to hang on not scoring a single FG in the last 11 or more minutes of the game? They were taking good high% shots but nothing was falling. Luckily they were able to hit 10 FTs down the stretch

IU really seems to be coming around. RoboKopp had a BIG game last night. Mulcahy and McConnell sucked.

Would be great to see Michigan knock off IU and cement the Wolverinz as a Quad 2 team (loss). We need every little break we can get for the tournament.
Mulcahy did have 12 assists. Only 2 points but 12 assists

• Wow
Nebraska took out Rutgers in New Jersey last night 82-72.
Rutgers is not the same team since losing Mawot Mag for the season.

But, Nebraska has stepped up behind Keisei Tominaga, "the Japanese Steph Curry."
Last 4 games for one of the better scoring guards in the league...

OpponentScoreMins2pt shooting3 pt shootingPts
@Rutgers82-72324 of 64 of 922
Wisconsin73-63382 of 35 of 1122
@Michigan72-93366 of 84 of 824
Penn State72-63317 of 85 of 1030

Thats 19 of 25 inside the arc (76%) and 18 of 38 from distance (47%).
Effective Field Goal % of 73%.

Just think, if they had stayed at NU they would currently have a better chance at the Dance than they currently have at UNC and Duke! 'Effin Karma for the Houdini Twins.

The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers tonight.
Emotional game in East Lansing after the murders on campus.

Focusing on the basketball, MSU won by 15, shooting the lights out from 3 (made 10 of 21).
They also stopped doubling Trace Jackson-Davis and he turned it over 7 times.
So now there are seven teams with seven losses. A veritable mosh pit of sevenness. The Cats can guarantee no worse than sole possession of 2nd by going 3-1 the rest of the way, and no worse than a tie for 2nd by going 2-2.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
So now there are seven teams with seven losses. A veritable mosh pit of sevenness. The Cats can guarantee no worse than sole possession of 2nd by going 3-1 the rest of the way, and no worse than a tie for 2nd by going 2-2.
Man, if we win on Thursday, all the pressure is on Purdue on Saturday to keep us at bay. Nice that we don’t play till Sunday this weekend. Keep it rolling.

The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers tonight.
Emotional game in East Lansing after the murders on campus.

Focusing on the basketball, MSU won by 15, shooting the lights out from 3 (made 10 of 21).
They also stopped doubling Trace Jackson-Davis and he turned it over 7 times.
The announcers in the game last night said that Kopp is one of the best shooters in the conference, if not in all of college basketball. His shooting percentage numbers are up this year, but he's still averaging only four 3-point attempts per game and less than two 2-point attempts. Also, he's been to the free throw line only 18 times all season, which is surprising. He's really nothing more than a sharpshooter, with very limited ability to drive to the basket or score in the paint. And even then, he doesn't get many open looks, as the defenders know he can't make anything happen off the dribble.

The announcers in the game last night said that Kopp is one of the best shooters in the conference, if not in all of college basketball. His shooting percentage numbers are up this year, but he's still averaging only four 3-point attempts per game and less than two 2-point attempts. Also, he's been to the free throw line only 18 times all season, which is surprising. He's really nothing more than a sharpshooter, with very limited ability to drive to the basket or score in the paint. And even then, he doesn't get many open looks, as the defenders know he can't make anything happen off the dribble.
He has a role because of TJD, who draws double teams and can pass very well. Also Schifino, who demands attention.

With us, he was more of a dull-shooter

Iowa's shooters fail to match their effort against NU, going 3 for 28 from outside the arc in a miserable 64-52 loss at Wisconsin.

It's crazy and I can't imagine it will play out this way but, with 3-4 games left, it looks like every team except OSU and Minn have at least a chance of going 10-10 in conference this year. It seems like a lot more parity than we usually see, but that could just be recency bias on my part.

I was looking at the simulator and was able to produce a 7-way tie for 6th place at 10-10 with NU in 2nd at 14-6. Was also able to make one that had a 7-way tie for 2nd at 12-8 where NU would fall to 7th, or a 7-way tie for 2nd at 11-9 with PSU in 2nd and NU in 8th.

Gonna be a wild last week and a half.

Nebraska took out Rutgers in New Jersey last night 82-72.
Rutgers is not the same team since losing Mawot Mag for the season.

But, Nebraska has stepped up behind Keisei Tominaga, "the Japanese Steph Curry."
Last 4 games for one of the better scoring guards in the league...

OpponentScoreMins2pt shooting3 pt shootingPts
@Rutgers82-72324 of 64 of 922
Wisconsin73-63382 of 35 of 1122
@Michigan72-93366 of 84 of 824
Penn State72-63317 of 85 of 1030

Thats 19 of 25 inside the arc (76%) and 18 of 38 from distance (47%).
Effective Field Goal % of 73%.

While I've stated that CC and staff should concentrate on recruiting within a day-round trip of the B1G footprint - so that they really get to know a player's game and to get the real deal from HS coaches they have developed relationships with, wish they had continued the international pipeline.

Indiana put down Purdue tonight to move into secondish place. Now we really need to win tomorrow at MD to stay in contention for the 1-2 spot. Let's get to great halves of NU basketball!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Indiana put down Purdue tonight to move into secondish place. Now we really need to win tomorrow at MD to stay in contention for the 1-2 spot. Let's get to great halves of NU basketball!
My read on the result was that Illinois has a chance to take down Purdue (overmatched guards, again) and that the next eight days are the Cats’ coronation.

Downside is the short turnaround and heavy travel over these past four days.

IMG_3894.jpg

Purdue is now, as of midnight Saturday, 13-5 with the number one spot in Current Big Ten Standings.

Northwestern is 11-6 hanging onto second.

Indiana at 11-7 holds third.

Maryland at 10-7 has fourth.

Time will tell if Indiana's win over Purdue was the better result for NU making it possible for the Cats to move into first place or if we would have been better off with Indiana losing to help us to stay in second place.

It goes without saying that a NU win at Maryland today will definitely help in that battle for the top two spots.

Last edited:
If the Cats had handled the last game, Indiana's win would be awesome. But maybe that's just me being greedy.

Oh my. Illinois loses at Ohio State. Zed Key did not play for the Buckeyes, who basically played small ball for 30 minutes. 72-60 loss keeps Illinois at 10-8, instead of joining the good teams at 11-7.

Rutgers just got taken out in the first round of the NIT by Hofstra of the Colonial.
88-86 in OT. Perhaps a bit of a concern, since Hofstra's guards were just getting anything they wanted off the dribble. Hofstra's conference player of the year (Aaron Estrada) fouled out with about 7 minutes in regulation.

On the plus side, Michigan beat Toledo 90-80.

No. Just no.

More seriously, bit of speculation here as I only saw maybe 10 minutes total of that game. That did not feel like the same energy we are used to seeing from Rutgers. They looked deflated.

I read somewhere they were the team with the best net ever to not make the field.
I feel bad for Rutgers. They looked so good for the first half of the season. It really looked like it was going to be a special year for them, but then it fell apart.

• Sad
Rutgers just got taken out in the first round of the NIT by Hofstra of the Colonial.
88-86 in OT. Perhaps a bit of a concern, since Hofstra's guards were just getting anything they wanted off the dribble. Hofstra's conference player of the year (Aaron Estrada) fouled out with about 7 minutes in regulation.

On the plus side, Michigan beat Toledo 90-80.
I switched back and forth between both games, and Hofstra deserved to win. Presently watching Pitt and Mississippi State on TruTV. Great Station!;)

No. Just no.

More seriously, bit of speculation here as I only saw maybe 10 minutes total of that game. That did not feel like the same energy we are used to seeing from Rutgers. They looked deflated.

I read somewhere they were the team with the best net ever to not make the field.
It sucks, but given that Mag was done for the season and they played 10 or so games very poorly following the injury, I have no issues with the committee leaving them out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT