ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Teams in Tournament Discussion

In watching Shrewsberry in interviews and press conferences, I think he’s just a really likable guy that brings out the best in his players. They are a weird team — posting up Pickett all the time, sometimes running out nobody taller than 6-5.

But they play hard, they know their roles, and they get after it. They were left for dead in early February, and battled through it.

Contrast that to the coaches who lost today, who lead through fear and intimidation. It wears a player down. (Some would say those players are soft. I’d say people who yell are assh*les.)

I hope Shrewsberry gets a swimming pool full of $ from Notre Dame.
Pickett is frankly just such a bizzaire player that he allows all sorts of whacky things to work

As of midnight CDT, St. Patrick's Day, NU has the 10th-best winning percentage in the NCAA Basketball Tournament of all NCAA Div 1 Schools! The only B1G teams ahead of us are #8 Michigan and #9 MSU. Indiana trails us in the 11th spot!

Quick review of Penn State's rotation.

Funk grad-transferred in from Bucknell this year and is playing better than he has ever played.
Pickett transferred in from Siena after 3 years there. This is his 2nd year with PSU and his best.
Wynter grad-transferred in from Drexel this year.
Lundy has been with PSU for 4 years and is playing his best basketball.
Dread is in his 5th year with PSU - his minutes are down somewhat.
Henn has played for 5 universities.
Njie and Mahaffey are freshmen.

Shrewsbury has done a heck of a job... but he's losing almost his whole team.... and he can easily take his freshmen with him if he chooses to cash in.

Quick review of Penn State's rotation.

Funk grad-transferred in from Bucknell this year and is playing better than he has ever played.
Pickett transferred in from Siena after 3 years there. This is his 2nd year with PSU and his best.
Wynter grad-transferred in from Drexel this year.
Lundy has been with PSU for 4 years and is playing his best basketball.
Dread is in his 5th year with PSU - his minutes are down somewhat.
Henn has played for 5 universities.
Njie and Mahaffey are freshmen.

Shrewsbury has done a heck of a job... but he's losing almost his whole team.... and he can easily take his freshmen with him if he chooses to cash in.
Big Lundy fan here.

Dread is a PG built like a linebacker. Kinda plays like one.

Pickett's ability to drive into the paint, post up, and dish almost eliminates the need for a big on offense. It's remarkable what he is able to do, and a fit for a lot of defenses that must respect PSU's ability to shoot the long ball.

Henn is a big, fish-smelling oaf.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Heyyyyyy, that’s not that late. A good couple of times a month I go to bed after midnight.

But I’m a bad boy anyway.
It's one thing to stay up late to watch a game that starts at 7pm on the west coast, but this one's being played in New York. Just seems like the schedule could be set to avoid a late, late game in the eastern time zone.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
The knock against Purdue has been the lack of experience in their backcourt, and it's showing tonight.

Painter is out there thinking he does not only want to out Painter himself as a tournament coach. He wants to out Bennett it this year.

Reactions: drewjin
Purdue

Sad Ncaa Basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness

Edey wasn't himself - at least the last ten minutes that I had the TV on. He looked exhausted.

Edey wasn't himself - at least the last ten minutes that I had the TV on. He looked exhausted.
FDU pushed the pace of the game, who ever Edey was covering the got him involved in the offense, Small ball/stretch 4 and 5 has taken Purdue down the last two years of the tournament.

FDU pushed the pace of the game, who ever Edey was covering the got him involved in the offense, Small ball/stretch 4 and 5 has taken Purdue down the last two years of the tournament.
Purdue had to at least try going zone, if only for a few possessions. Edey "guarding" the 3 point line is pretty self-defeating, captured beautifully in Gato's video clip above.

If your guys aren't used to playing zone. To me tournament is not the time to start.

FDU is used to playing against zone. Merrimack, plays a good match up zone and they faced the 3 times this year.

Kid that Edey was covering only scored 49 points all year. Edey could have done a one man zone, I guess.

But FDU was pushing the ball every chance. Edey got tired.

It's one thing to stay up late to watch a game that starts at 7pm on the west coast, but this one's being played in New York. Just seems like the schedule could be set to avoid a late, late game in the eastern time zone.
The Indiana vs. Kent State game in Albany just started at 10:36pm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT