ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Teams in Tournament Discussion

“He feels the coaches should get together and try to rework the overall league style (I am not really sure I understood how that gets done). He also went on to opine that the college game is being ruined by being defense first, choppy, start stop type play, lack of fundamental offensive skills that translate to prettier basketball.”

What and wipe out NU’s formula for success?

Reactions: drewjin and phatcat
There was an egregiously bad call in the Duke/Tennessee game that points out what is wrong with basketball.
Filipowski drives the lane from 20 feet out on the wing.
Defender is beaten, trying to move laterally. Filipowski has essentially turned the corner but lowers his shoulder slightly. Defender throws his body in front of Filipowski, one foot still in the air when contact is made, Filipokwski's shoulder into the defender's chest. Refs call charging.

Color commentator goes off. "You might as well outlaw driving into the lane if you are going to call that a charge."

All they have to do to get more scoring and better basketball is to call more fouls on the defensive player when he's moving.

And if the guy on offense initiates the contact, like a lot of guys do - its a no call.

It is soooooooo simple.

“He feels the coaches should get together and try to rework the overall league style (I am not really sure I understood how that gets done). He also went on to opine that the college game is being ruined by being defense first, choppy, start stop type play, lack of fundamental offensive skills that translate to prettier basketball.”

What and wipe out NU’s formula for success?
Yeah I want more of same. Fitz-ball on hardwood

There was an egregiously bad call in the Duke/Tennessee game that points out what is wrong with basketball.
Filipowski drives the lane from 20 feet out on the wing.
Defender is beaten, trying to move laterally. Filipowski has essentially turned the corner but lowers his shoulder slightly. Defender throws his body in front of Filipowski, one foot still in the air when contact is made, Filipokwski's shoulder into the defender's chest. Refs call charging.

Color commentator goes off. "You might as well outlaw driving into the lane if you are going to call that a charge."

All they have to do to get more scoring and better basketball is to call more fouls on the defensive player when he's moving.

And if the guy on offense initiates the contact, like a lot of guys do - its a no call.

It is soooooooo simple.
One of my biggest underlying problems with basketball, a big reason why it lags behind 2-3 other sports for me in terms of how closely I follow it, is calling fouls is basically impossible for a human to accomplish. There is no way to not have complete subjective guesses in major situations like a half dozen or more times per game. It’s just too quick, there’s not really anything that can be done, it’s just inherent in the game.

Reactions: drewjin
Wisconsin moves into the final four of the NIT with a 61 - 58 win over #1 seed Oregon last night. Hope they win it all. They play very good defense and are well coached, much like NU. ;)

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT