ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten West Title Machinations and Tie-Breakers

MRCat95

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2006
Chicago
First, just win baby! If NU beats Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois, NU will win the division outright, go to Indy and nothing below matters.

However, if NU loses to IOA, but wins its remaining 2 games, there’s a potential for a dreaded three-way tie assuming UW, IOA and NU win all their other remaining B1G games.

Current Records:
NU 5-1 (NU>UW)
UW 3-2 (UW>IOA)
IOA 3-2

PUR 3-2 (NU>PUR)

Possible Year-End Scenario:
NU 7-2 (NU>UW)
UW 7-2 (UW>IOA)
IOA 7-2 (IOA>NU) - Just assume...

Note: Purdue could do NU a huge solid by beating Iowa next weekend. This would allow NU to lose to Iowa and still win the west if it beats Minnesota and Illinois. (NU owns the tie-breaker with Purdue, so a 7-2 Purdue doesn’t matter if Iowa is given its third B1G loss.)

NU remaining games:
@Iowa
@Minnesota
Illinois

UW remaining games:
Rutgers
@Penn State
@Purdue
Minnesota

Iowa remaining games:
@Purdue
Northwestern
@Illinois
Nebraska

Purdue remaining games:
Iowa
@Minnesota
Wisconsin
@Indiana

The following is where B1G West division tie breakers start to give me a headache in the context of a 3-way tie scenario between UW, IOA and NU:

(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three or more teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.

SAME.

2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.

SAME (Each team would have 1 west division and one east division loss).

3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.

SAME, I think. The only division loss amongst the three would be to a first place (tied) team or to one another.

4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.

There is no single East team that NU, Iowa and Wisconsin played. NU played (Rutgers, UM, MSU), UW played (Rutgers, UM, PSU) and Iowa played (Indiana, Maryland, PSU).
Bump to next...

5. The best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.
(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 - East 1 would be the representative.

Michigan is 5-0 (NU/UW opponent)

MSU is 3-2 (NU opponent)

PSU is 3-2 (IOA/UW opponent)

Maryland is 3-2 (IOA opponent)

Indiana is 1-6 (IOA opponent)

Rutgers is 0-5 (NU/UW opponent)

NU East Opponents record: 8-7

IOA East Opponents record: 7-9

UW East Opponents record: 8-7

NU should root for Rutgers, MSU and Michigan to keep winning and root for Maryland, Indiana and Penn State to lose.

6. The records of the three teams will be compared against the highest placed non-divisional teams in their division order of finish (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).

(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.
(b) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the record will prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e. 1-0 is better than 0-0, 2-0 is better than 1-0, etc.)

So, Wins over UM, OSU, PSU and MSU are huge.
Nobody plays OSU. NU and UW lost to UM. Wins over PSU and MSU are huge. Iowa lost to PSU. NU beat MSU. Wisconsin still plays PSU.

7. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.

1) Iowa 0 out of conference losses
2) UW 1 out of conference losses
3) NU 2 or 3 (TBD) out of conference losses.

8. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

Self-explanatory

Last edited:
I was looking at this too, and I'd have to think we're the favorite in the event of a three-way tie, as of this moment. With that in mind, the Wisconsin-PSU game in two weeks will be incredibly important, as Wisconsin needs to win to preserve the three-way tie.

Am I reading this right that we do better in a three-way tie with Wisconsin and Iowa than we do in a tie with Iowa, if Iowa beats us?

In which case, we're strangely kinda rooting for Wisconsin to beat PSU?

Let's just win out and remove all doubt.

Am I reading this right that we do better in a three-way tie with Wisconsin and Iowa than we do in a tie with Iowa, if Iowa beats us?

In which case, we're strangely kinda rooting for Wisconsin to beat PSU?

Let's just win out and remove all doubt.

Yes, If Iowa wins out and beats NU, they’ll win the (head to head) tie-breaker with NU and win the Big Ten West championship unless Wisconsin can also win out and turn it from a 2-way 7-2 tie into a three way 7-2 tie.

The big rooting interest is for Purdue (2 losses including a head-to head vs. NU) to beat Iowa next weekend. That would give NU the cushion to lose to Iowa and win the division anyway.

Note: Iowa also has to play Nebraska at year-end. (That’s just wishful thinking though.)

Reactions: rwhitney014
Yes, If Iowa wins out and beats NU, they’ll win the (head to head) tie-breaker with NU and win the Big Ten West championship unless Wisconsin can also win out and turn it from a 2-way 7-2 tie into a three way 7-2 tie.

The big rooting interest is for Purdue (2 losses including a head-to head vs. NU) to beat Iowa next weekend. That would give NU the cushion to lose to Iowa and win the division anyway.

Note: Iowa also has to play Nebraska at year-end. (That’s just wishful thinking though.)

Nebraska is improving rapidly and that game is a big rivalry for them. I would not be so sure that’s an easy win for Iowa.

Nebraska is improving rapidly and that game is a big rivalry for them. I would not be so sure that’s an easy win for Iowa.

I agree, but Purdue is a better bet and it’s immediate (next week). It kinda sucks hoping for a last minute upset to send you to Indy.

I also think Wisconsin is going to have its hands full with Purdue and Penn State.

My preference in order.
1) Just win!
2) Purdue beats Iowa this weekend.
3) Hope Wisconsin can win out so that NU can win a 3-way tie breaker if needed.

Last edited:
NU should root for Rutgers...to keep winning

Y0UJC.png

I agree, but Purdue is a better bet and it’s immediate (next week). It kinda sucks hoping for a last minute upset to send you to Indy.

I also think Wisconsin is going to have its hands full with Purdue and Penn State.

My preference in order.
1) Just win!
I really see Purdue handling Iowa! Iowa had to travel 18 hours to play a rain soaked game against a tough PSU team. They have to travel back to Iowa and play an excellent Purdue team. I just don’t see Iowa with the defense to stop Purdue. I also see Nebraska giving Iowa fits. I’m calling for Nebraska to upset at least one of these three teams they play next month ( Ohio State,Michigan State, or Iowa)

My preference in order.
1) Just win!
I really see Purdue handling Iowa! Iowa had to travel 18 hours to play a rain soaked game against a tough PSU team. They have to travel back to Iowa and play an excellent Purdue team. I just don’t see Iowa with the defense to stop Purdue. I also see Nebraska giving Iowa fits. I’m calling for Nebraska to upset at least one of these three teams they play next month ( Ohio State,Michigan State, or Iowa)
Your a dumb ass do you think they took a bus???they were back in Iowa city by 9 pm last night

First, just win baby! If NU beats Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois, NU will win the division outright, go to Indy and nothing below matters.

However, if NU loses to IOA, but wins its remaining 2 games, there’s a potential for a dreaded three-way tie assuming UW, IOA and NU win all their other remaining B1G games.

Current Records:
NU 5-1 (NU>UW)
UW 3-2 (UW>IOA)
IOA 3-2

PUR 3-2 (NU>PUR)

NU 7-2 (NU>UW)
UW 7-2 (UW>IOA)

Note: Purdue could do NU a huge solid by beating Iowa next weekend. This would allow NU to lose to Iowa and still win the west if it beats Minnesota and Illinois. (NU owns the tie-breaker with Purdue, so a 7-2 Purdue doesn’t matter if Iowa is given its third B1G loss.)

NU remaining games:
@Iowa
@Minnesota
Illinois

UW remaining games:
Rutgers
@Penn State
@Purdue
Minnesota

Iowa remaining games:
@Purdue
Northwestern
@Illinois
Nebraska

Purdue remaining games:
Iowa
@Minnesota
Wisconsin
@Indiana

The following is where B1G West division tie breakers start to give me a headache in the context of a 3-way tie scenario between UW, IOA and NU:

(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three or more teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.

SAME.

3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).

SAME, I think. The only division loss amongst the three would be to a first place (tied) team or to one another.

4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.

There is no single East team that NU, Iowa and Wisconsin played. NU played (Rutgers, UM, MSU), UW played (Rutgers, UM, PSU) and Iowa played (Indiana, Maryland, PSU).
Bump to next...

5. The best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.
(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 - East 1 would be the representative.

MSU is 3-2 (NU opponent)

NU should root for Rutgers, MSU and Michigan to keep winning and root for Maryland, Indiana and Penn State to lose.

6. The records of the three teams will be compared against the highest placed non-divisional teams in their division order of finish (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).

(b) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the record will prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e. 1-0 is better than 0-0, 2-0 is better than 1-0, etc.)

Nobody plays OSU. NU and UW lost to UM. Wins over PSU and MSU are huge. Iowa lost to PSU. NU beat MSU. Wisconsin still plays PSU.

7. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.

Self-explanatory

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

Current Records:
NU 5-1 (NU>UW)
UW 3-2 (UW>IOA)
IOA 3-2

PUR 3-2 (NU>PUR)

NU 7-2 (NU>UW)
UW 7-2 (UW>IOA)

NU remaining games:
@Iowa
@Minnesota
Illinois

UW remaining games:
Rutgers
@Penn State
@Purdue
Minnesota

Iowa remaining games:
@Purdue
Northwestern
@Illinois
Nebraska

Purdue remaining games:
Iowa
@Minnesota
Wisconsin
@Indiana

SAME.

Bump to next...

MSU is 3-2 (NU opponent)

Self-explanatory

Your a dumb ass do you think they took a bus???they were back in Iowa city by 9 pm last night
I dernt thank they took er bus. They flue in one them fancee aero plaines. They was back acros the countree by several minutes er so, by my reckoning. Sure as the sun do rise in the West.

Dunno what y'all're thinkin', but I think Iowa flieing in one them fancee aero plaines is proof that pigs do fly.

Hyuck Hyuck!

You are forgetting that MSU was a common opponent of PU and NU and PSU still has a game against WIS

Nebby is starting to find themselves (thankfully after we were done with them) and by the end of the year might be harder to deal with.

You are forgetting that MSU was a common opponent of PU and NU and PSU still has a game against WIS

I didn’t. If PU finishes 7-2, that means they went on to beat both Iowa and Wisconsin knocking them both down to 6-3 (or worse). Thank you, Purdue! We own the 2-way tie-breaker with PU if both PU and NU finish 7-2. Purdue and Wisconsin are nothing but allies at this point by winning. Iowa is the only foe.

Until Iowa loses again (Purdue or Nebraska), yes, you have to root for UW over PSU.

PU needs NU to finish 6-3 to have a chance for Indy. UW still has a chance with a 7-2 NU, but they need a three way tie and some luck to get the tie-breaker.

Last edited:

Current Records:
NU 5-1 (NU>UW)
UW 3-2 (UW>IOA)
IOA 3-2

PUR 3-2 (NU>PUR)

NU 7-2 (NU>UW)
UW 7-2 (UW>IOA)

NU remaining games:
@Iowa
@Minnesota
Illinois

UW remaining games:
Rutgers
@Penn State
@Purdue
Minnesota

Iowa remaining games:
@Purdue
Northwestern
@Illinois
Nebraska

Purdue remaining games:
Iowa
@Minnesota
Wisconsin
@Indiana

SAME.

Bump to next...

MSU is 3-2 (NU opponent)

Self-explanatory
Or we could just beat IA and make all of this moot.

If I remember correctly getting in and out of Happy Valley is not exactly easy. In the past I thought I heard teams had to fly into a major city (Philly or Pittsburg) and then bus into and out of Happy Valley. From what I can tell, it would look like only commuter planes fly in and out. Only a 6700 ft runway. And IA might have a similar issue on their end as well since their airport only has 5200 ft runway so they might have to bus to a major city. So from Iowa city the team might have to travel to CHicago , then to Philly or Pittsburg and then take buses into and out or Happy Valley. In short, I do not think it is as easy as you suggest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Park_Airport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_City_Municipal_Airport

Current Records:
NU 5-1 (NU>UW)
UW 3-2 (UW>IOA)
IOA 3-2

PUR 3-2 (NU>PUR)

NU 7-2 (NU>UW)
UW 7-2 (UW>IOA)

NU remaining games:
@Iowa
@Minnesota
Illinois

UW remaining games:
Rutgers
@Penn State
@Purdue
Minnesota

Iowa remaining games:
@Purdue
Northwestern
@Illinois
Nebraska

Purdue remaining games:
Iowa
@Minnesota
Wisconsin
@Indiana

SAME.

Bump to next...

MSU is 3-2 (NU opponent)

Self-explanatory
Impressive analysis! You've reminded me to never get in a logical argument with you. The illogical ones I can win.

Reactions: MRCat95
If I remember correctly getting in and out of Happy Valley is not exactly easy. In the past I thought I heard teams had to fly into a major city (Philly or Pittsburg) and then bus into and out of Happy Valley. From what I can tell, it would look like only commuter planes fly in and out. Only a 6700 ft runway. And IA might have a similar issue on their end as well since their airport only has 5200 ft runway so they might have to bus to a major city. So from Iowa city the team might have to travel to CHicago , then to Philly or Pittsburg and then take buses into and out or Happy Valley. In short, I do not think it is as easy as you suggest.

Iowa flies in and out of CID (Cedar Rapids) and here is last night's flight

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAY4406/history/20181028/0030Z/KUNV/KCID

Of course that was for the band, the players took Greyhound:)

Current Records:
NU 5-1 (NU>UW)
UW 3-2 (UW>IOA)
IOA 3-2

PUR 3-2 (NU>PUR)

NU 7-2 (NU>UW)
UW 7-2 (UW>IOA)

NU remaining games:
@Iowa
@Minnesota
Illinois

UW remaining games:
Rutgers
@Penn State
@Purdue
Minnesota

Iowa remaining games:
@Purdue
Northwestern
@Illinois
Nebraska

Purdue remaining games:
Iowa
@Minnesota
Wisconsin
@Indiana

SAME.

Bump to next...

MSU is 3-2 (NU opponent)

Self-explanatory
Reality is we want each of our opponents in this list to pick up at least a third loss. Us getting Io*a's W again would be sweet but would still like to see PU and WIS picking up a 3rd loss as well. Since PU plays against both of them, at least one team will get at least the 3rd loss

Reality is we want each of our opponents in this list to pick up at least a third loss. Us getting Io*a's W again would be sweet but would still like to see PU and WIS picking up a 3rd loss as well. Since PU plays against both of them, at least one team will get at least the 3rd loss

Agreed, but the order of operations is Iowa must lose first (hopefully to Purdue this weekend). Wisconsin will not lose to Rutgers at home this weekend anyway.

Once Iowa loses one more game, the three-way tie escape hatch (at 7-2) for NU becomes irrelevant. At that point, hope for UW, Iowa and Purdue to lose the rest of their games (and it doesn't matter if UW beats Purdue or vice versa.)

Last edited:
This is cup half empty thinking, what we really want is to win all three of our B1G games. Problem solved.
No, you can't even win those.
Wrong. You're not going to beat me at illogic. And your being wrong means I can even win some of the logical ones.

Reactions: MRCat95 and DaCat

I’ll be flying into Iowa City in a couple of weeks after an hour and a half flight and either runway will be plenty.

They get to bed at two am,then trun around and play at West Lafayette! Back breaking!

I know you guys are shedding no tears, but Iowa has 4 of 5 on the road in conference which is almost unheard of. The 'Cats schedule of playing a conference game early and having ND sprinkled in this week is unusual and has worked out well for your conference record. Best of luck this weekend. Would love to see a NU victory!

Reactions: WildBillcat
I know you guys are shedding no tears, but Iowa has 4 of 5 on the road in conference which is almost unheard of. The 'Cats schedule of playing a conference game early and having ND sprinkled in this week is unusual and has worked out well for your conference record. Best of luck this weekend. Would love to see a NU victory!

What? Given the 9 game conference schedule, 5 vs 4 home games is a 50-50 proposition every year. Iowa also gets Wisconsin and Northwestern at home. That’s hardly a tough break.

Northwestern got 5 B1G road games this year as well including Purdue, MSU, and Iowa.

Iowa B1G Schedule:
Wisconsin (L)
@Minnesota (W)
@ Indiana (W)
Maryland (W)
@ Penn State (L)
@ Purdue
Northwestern
@ Illinois
Nebraska

NU B1G Schedule:
@Purdue (W)
Michigan (L)
@Michigan State (W)
Nebraska (W)
@Rutgers (W)
Wisconsin (W)
Notre Dame*
@Iowa
@Minnesota
Illinois

*Weekend off...

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladeskat
My point is not the H/A situation. The nine game schedule has created that imbalance. There is no Big Ten team that has 4 of 5 on the road. Iowa had/has one home game between 9/22 and 11/10. I am simple stating that is highly unusual and a bit of a disadvantage regardless of opponent.

My point is not the H/A situation. The nine game schedule has created that imbalance. There is no Big Ten team that has 4 of 5 on the road. Iowa had/has one home game between 9/22 and 11/10. I am simple stating that is highly unusual and a bit of a disadvantage regardless of opponent.

We are undefeated on the road, and all of our losses came at home, so sorry if we don't get what you're crying about.

In that event, it would have been advisable to beat Wisconsin at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT