ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Wrestling this weekend!

Titanium999

Jan 16, 2014
Wish we had Sebastian who was AA potential. Good luck. Hopefully we get three AAs!

Unless he’s injured, it’s starting to look like Deakin is not a tournament wrestler.

Unless he’s injured, it’s starting to look like Deakin is not a tournament wrestler.
He won a couple tournaments early this year. Just a tough weekend. He just took fifth by majoring the kid from Minnesota who upset him. Jennings looked sharp. So did Oyster and Moreland.

Next year. Always next year.....

Anyway, nice to see that Rivera has not abandoned his NJ diction....

I hope Rivera wins it all. Deakin is in a tough weight. Nolf is gonna be a four time finalist,three time champ. The Michigan and Nebraska kids will both be 3 x AAs. If Northwestern can find a 41 lber and hwt,they will real tough next year. Top 3-5 in the nation!

Not "always next year". Cats took 8th. Highest finish since the B1G went to 1r teams.

We are graduating exactly 3 seniors. But NU wrestling success is always about what our top guys do. We have Freshmen and Sophomores throughout the lineup. Apparently Thomas developed serious health issues from the cut to 41 that put him out. Rivera was Rivera. Deakin had a tough tournament, but he should recover from whatever ailed him by NCAAs, and he can beat everybody clean but Nolf. Conan was awesome.

My goal for this year was Top 10 finish with Rivera Thomas Deakin Sebastian Jennings potential AAs. It looks like we'll get there. Just with less guys who place higher.

Not "always next year". Cats took 8th. Highest finish since the B1G went to 1r teams.

We are graduating exactly 3 seniors. But NU wrestling success is always about what our top guys do. We have Freshmen and Sophomores throughout the lineup. Apparently Thomas developed serious health issues from the cut to 41 that put him out. Rivera was Rivera. Deakin had a tough tournament, but he should recover from whatever ailed him by NCAAs, and he can beat everybody clean but Nolf. Conan was awesome.

My goal for this year was Top 10 finish with Rivera Thomas Deakin Sebastian Jennings potential AAs. It looks like we'll get there. Just with less guys who place higher.

Agree that my post was too pessimistic. I had visions of a better result this year and have been disappointed in the outcome. One thing I regularly forget is the NU factor. Our kids actually have to get up, go to class, write papers, etc. That is a strain that I suspect has a lesser effect on their B1G competition. A healthy team next year should be better. ( All that said, I’m still not sold on Deakin as a tournament wrestler. Of course, I will be delighted to be proven wrong. )

Reactions: BuckeyeintheChi
Agree that my post was too pessimistic. I had visions of a better result this year and have been disappointed in the outcome. One thing I regularly forget is the NU factor. Our kids actually have to get up, go to class, write papers, etc. That is a strain that I suspect has a lesser effect on their B1G competition. A healthy team next year should be better. ( All that said, I’m still not sold on Deakin as a tournament wrestler. Of course, I will be delighted to be proven wrong. )

Not to mention they are also in the most competitive professional scenario possible. Our guys are literally at war on 2 fronts. I looked in on Chakonis LinkedIn and he's going to trade the Fixed income at Citi. That's gotta be 100k+ bonus/commission/stock. Imagine who he had to out compete to land that job.

Cornell and Stanford have the luxury of only having to get up for a few events per year. We're in the B1G.

I was hoping for a bigger year too. But losing Thomas and Sebastian along with 133 becoming a meatgrinder that put Valdiviez out of contention really put a damper on things.

Not to mention they are also in the most competitive professional scenario possible. Our guys are literally at war on 2 fronts. I looked in on Chakonis LinkedIn and he's going to trade the Fixed income at Citi. That's gotta be 100k+ bonus/commission/stock. Imagine who he had to out compete to land that job.

Cornell and Stanford have the luxury of only having to get up for a few events per year. We're in the B1G.

I was hoping for a bigger year too. But losing Thomas and Sebastian along with 133 becoming a meatgrinder that put Valdiviez out of contention really put a damper on things.

Yep.

Glad to see Chakonis land a good job. Several of my wrestling teammates made millions as traders. I think three were multimillionaires. Cool stuff.

Reactions: BuckeyeintheChi

Isn't that generally since we do not use all our scholarships? Hard to have the depth of teams that do. But top guys can put up a lot of points in something like the NCAA where it is often more quality over quantity

Isn't that generally since we do not use all our scholarships? Hard to have the depth of teams that do. But top guys can put up a lot of points in something like the NCAA where it is often more quality over quantity

We use them all. It just takes the right guy to want to come in.

Johnny Sebastian May have AAed, if healthy. And Yayha Thomas would have done well, if able to stay at 41! Next year, Northwestern can finish top four in the nation with all the talent they have. Just need to figure out who is wrestling 41 and heavyweight. Oyster or Thomas may have to duke it out at 49 again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT