ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Carmody

chicagocatfan24

Gold Member
Jun 2, 2014
Think of what could (and would) be happening with Coach Carmody captaining the pirate ship on the heels of a tournament season and with the new facilities on the horizon. We'd be the Duke of the North.

Really makes you think

Think of what could (and would) be happening with Coach Carmody captaining the pirate ship on the heels of a tournament season and with the new facilities on the horizon. We'd be the Duke of the North.

Really makes you think

With all the momentum around NU basketball these days, you had to dredge up BC? Maybe my sarcasm meter is shot......

Reactions: ricko654321
giphy.gif

Really makes you think

More likely the Holy Cross of the Midwest.

You really should stop it. This topic is something that you shouldn't joke about. Kind of like the holocaust and crimes against little children.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I don't even want to read another ROBBIE Carmody thread.
i think it's admirable that no one took the bait here.

feel like now we are officially past this! a previously unseen level of maturity from this board.

Happy 4th weekend and Go Cats!

Reactions: Fitz51

Really makes you think

Bill wouldn't still be here in 2017, even if Coble had played in 2010-11 and we had made the NCAA Tournament back then. Coach Carmody could have had recruiting momentum coming off a tourney bid, but Bill was disinterested in recruiting.

As I shared before, Carmody recruited guys in his own image. When the coach doesn't like to recruit and when he signs players with the same personality, well it's a really messed up situation when HS kids arrive for their unofficial visits and they find out nobody cares.

If we had made the tourney in 2010-11, based on Bill's philosophy, we would have the same core of guys four years later. Imagine an alternate universe with this 2014-15 roster: starters Olah, Lumpkin, Cobb, Demps, Sobo, with a bench of Kale, Sina, Ajou, and Turner. Does anybody think that's even an NIT team? Noooo.

If I have any distaste about Coach Carmody's departure, it was the way that Jim forced the issue by making Bill into a lame-duck coach with a disadvantaged team. The two men did not get along. The situation sucked, but it was the only way that Jim could justify firing a guy who took our program from point A to point B.

Jim would probably argue that even with arena upgrades and a bigger budget and kinder admissions standards, Coach Carmody was just never going to win big here. Jim forced the issue, though. He knows it.

And I bet he sleeps well at night. Did the ends justify the means? Dang, it's really hard to argue against Jim on that score.

i think it's admirable that no one took the bait here.

feel like now we are officially past this! a previously unseen level of maturity from this board.

Happy 4th weekend and Go Cats!

(shrugs) Sorry but I think you'll be surprised with my conclusion

Bill wouldn't still be here in 2017, even if Coble had played in 2010-11 and we had made the NCAA Tournament back then. Coach Carmody could have had recruiting momentum coming off a tourney bid, but Bill was disinterested in recruiting.

As I shared before, Carmody recruited guys in his own image. When the coach doesn't like to recruit and when he signs players with the same personality, well it's a really messed up situation when HS kids arrive for their unofficial visits and they find out nobody cares.

If we had made the tourney in 2010-11, based on Bill's philosophy, we would have the same core of guys four years later. Imagine an alternate universe with this 2014-15 roster: starters Olah, Lumpkin, Cobb, Demps, Sobo, with a bench of Kale, Sina, Ajou, and Turner. Does anybody think that's even an NIT team? Noooo.

If I have any distaste about Coach Carmody's departure, it was the way that Jim forced the issue by making Bill into a lame-duck coach with a disadvantaged team. The two men did not get along. The situation sucked, but it was the only way that Jim could justify firing a guy who took our program from point A to point B.

Jim would probably argue that even with arena upgrades and a bigger budget and kinder admissions standards, Coach Carmody was just never going to win big here. Jim forced the issue, though. He knows it.

And I bet he sleeps well at night. Did the ends justify the means? Dang, it's really hard to argue against Jim on that score.
And with Bc, it is unlikely that he could have gotten the big donors to pony up. With a true up and coming program and young coach it was possible so comparing BC with a new arena against anything is ridiculous.

And with Bc, it is unlikely that he could have gotten the big donors to pony up. With a true up and coming program and young coach it was possible so comparing BC with a new arena against anything is ridiculous.

Well..... Jim's plan was predicated on hiring his own man and then seeking out donations to upgrade the arena. I'm not sure if the donors were approached about this idea prior to Collins's hiring. We were told for years that it was not possible to replace the lite brite scoreboard due to technological limitations, remember? Then Chris comes in and overnight things change. Things were set in motion when Shon was pushed out and Athletics brought in professional development/fundraising people. Next it was Bill swapped out for Chris. Jim wanted to change the culture--and he did.

I think Jim knew exactly what he was doing to improve the program and the evidence verifies it.

Yes. I think even you can finally admit that the evidence also verifies that Jim was doing long-term planning years before he made Bill a lame duck.

Was it cold-blooded and perhaps unfair to a coach who was the 2nd winningest coach in program history, the first to win 20 games, and the first to coach a ranked Cats squad in more than 30 years?

Yes.

But was it strategic, well designed, and perfectly executed?

Absolutely.

And there's nothing really wrong with it as long as we acknowledge that this is a business and Jim treated it as such.

I think we should start a Rick Venturi thread or Ara parseghian thread...oh wait wrong board. LOL!!

I love the final, running narrative of this whole thing that the evil Doctor ran out Carmody on a rail. I'd buy it if Carmody's dismissal wasn't FIVE YEARS after Phillips was hired.

That's almost as good as the people who are STILL up in arms over KO's tenure - all three years of it. The guy was a jackass, but it was a blip on the screen, and some are still up on arms.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
I love the final, running narrative of this whole thing that the evil Doctor ran out Carmody on a rail. I'd buy it if Carmody's dismissal wasn't FIVE YEARS after Phillips was hired.

That's almost as good as the people who are STILL up in arms over KO's tenure - all three years of it. The guy was a jackass, but it was a blip on the screen, and some are still up on arms.

In what post have I ever suggested that Jim is "evil"? Jim and I have exchanged many emails, have met in person numerous times, and I think he's a great guy. Any conversations that I have had with him about Coach Carmody are between Jim and me, as they should be.

It's really troubling that any comment that meets with your disapproval is taken to these ridiculous heights of exaggeration -- really, "evil"? -- really demonstrating your total lack of insight and knowledge about the situation.

(Shrugs.) Losses go on the coach's record, but institutional support plays a role in losses, just as it plays a role in victories. To say anything else is disingenuous.

He supported him just fine. He gave him 5 years...what more does he want? Stop with the Phillips sabotaged BC lunacy...

Yep, it sure is good that the program is a perennial Tournament team now, with deep runs under its belt and McDonald's All-Americans beating down the door to come. Yeah, it's tough at the top, but it sure does feel good to look back at the distant dark days when the program was a laughingstock.

You're right, Yesterdays. I communicated poorly and never wanted that represented as your view. I apologize for it. It wasn't meant as a personal shot at all.

Reminds me of a time when I was a reporter and covering a council meeting in our county seat. After the meeting one of the councilmen, who had a problem with a story we'd written, started an argument with me, and we went round and round. He finally concluded triumphantly with something to the effect that, "And your rotten paper even charges for taking Little League photos!"

That confounded me because as far I as knew we didn't charge people for taking Little League team photos. So when I got back to the office I asked the sports editor about it. He started laughing.

"Hell, they did that before I got here, and I don't agree with it, but that was 20 YEARS AGO," he said.

One thing central Pennsylvanians are good at is holding a grudge. Must be all the Germans and Scotch-Irish (and I have Scottish ancestry, by the way).

Are you BC's cousin?

I believe NU tried to arrange for Johnnie Vassar to fulfill that role as a parting gift upon his termination. They even had the contract written out ahead of time: "Signed, Johny Vassar" Those sons of guns...

And that's Carmody's termination to which I'm referring, not Vassar's.

I believe NU tried to arrange for Johnnie Vassar to fulfill that role as a parting gift upon his termination. They even had the contract written out ahead of time: "Signed, Johny Vassar" Those sons of guns...

And that's Carmody's termination to which I'm referring, not Vassar's.

That was one hell of a run last season, wasn't it?

And that's the Collins-led NCAA tournament team I'm referring to, not Carmody's.

Gonna be even better this year. I'd honestly be pissed if they weren't in the sweet 16

I have no problem with high expectations! Personally, I'm looking at getting to tourney again first of all, then evaluating the situation. Never know how much the team will be depleted by injuries, etc in March.

More likely his uber driver.

That was one hell of a run last season, wasn't it?

And that's the Collins-led NCAA tournament team I'm referring to, not Carmody's.

No question...losing Robby is a blow. Kid's a maniacal competitor. He'll be a good one in SB.

With regards to Bill: would you agree that the 128th rated recruit in the country is higher rated than any top 100 recruit Bill ever signed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT