ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl game change

nycat33

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2014
Wanted to get the boards thoughts on a bowl game change to make them slightly more interesting. Outside of the playoffs let teams play redshirted players if the teams want too. Last year perhaps Thorson would have gotten to play if we made a bowl game or some freshman WR could give us hope for next year. As the amount of bowl games increase I feel like this would be a positive for both fans and teams. Thoughts?

I don't feel strongly about this either way, but some unintended consequences: you'd have some coordinators installing game plans with redshirted players (who have no game film on them) just for the sake of deception; you'd probably have some programs lobbying for this rule in conference championship games, making it a "postseason" rule over a "bowl" rule; even though it seems like it's a level playing field by instituting the rule, it actually favors programs who may have key injuries and those who may have academic eligibility issues.

I don't feel strongly about this either way, but some unintended consequences: you'd have some coordinators installing game plans with redshirted players (who have no game film on them) just for the sake of deception; you'd probably have some programs lobbying for this rule in conference championship games, making it a "postseason" rule over a "bowl" rule; even though it seems like it's a level playing field by instituting the rule, it actually favors programs who may have key injuries and those who may have academic eligibility issues.
The deception aspect of the rule makes bowl games more interesting to watch in my opinion. I am never in favor of helping those with academic eligibility issues but I see helping those with key injuries as a large benefit. Just think of last year if we had beat illinois. Trevor was already knocked out and we would have a chance to see our top recruit RS QB a year earlier....just hoping to make some of these lower end bowl games more exciting.

I guess it really depends on who is proposing it and why. In terms of making games more exciting, I don't think it will move the needle at all on the ratings. I watch almost all the bowl games because they're on. I don't like it if programs are proposing it because they think RS freshman so and so is better than their existing option in the 2-3 deep and so they want to get that kid in at the expense of the other kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT