Sports Illustrated: Redbox vs. Stanford
Stadium/McMurphy: Redbox vs. Oregon
USA TODAY: Redbox vs. Utah

Tally:
Redbox (12/31 in Santa Clara) - 6
Gator (12/31 in Jax) - 2
Holiday (12/31 in San Diego) - 2
Citrus (1/1 in Orlando) - 1

Most continue to assume the worst (Redbox), which I still consider a solid, winnable destination game.

After Week 9:

Athlon: Redbox vs. USC
CBS Sports: Redbox vs. Oregon
College Football News: Holiday vs. Wazzu
ESPN/Sherman: Holiday vs. Oregon
ESPN/Bonagura: Redbox vs. Oregon
Orlando Sentinel: Citrus vs. Florida
SB Nation: Redbox vs. Oregon
Sporting News: Gator vs. Florida
Stadium/McMurphy: Holiday vs. Washington
USA TODAY: Redbox vs. Stanford

Tally:
Holiday (12/31 in San Diego) - 3
Gator (12/31 in Jax) - 1

Love our chances on the west coast, don't love the matchups in Florida...

Last edited:
After Week 9:

Tally:
Redbox (Dec. 31/Santa Clara) - 6
Holiday (Dec. 31/San Diego) - 2
Gator (Dec. 31/Jacksonville) - 1
Citrus (Jan. 1/Orlando) - 1

God, I feel old. What the heck is a "Redbox" Bowl ? In contemporary parlance, is it a good thing? I am still hoping for the Rose Bowl after we win the rematch with the Wolverines.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
God, I feel old. What the heck is a "Redbox" Bowl ? In contemporary parlance, is it a good thing? I am still hoping for the Rose Bowl after we win the rematch with the Wolverines.

Right with you. I had no idea what we were even talking about here.

After winning three of our last four bowl games though, and slaughtering that monkey that was on our back for so long, I am all for the most marquee matchup we can get right now. We’ve proven what we can do with bowl game wins. Let’s see if we can bring down a Goliath. Very little to lose, everything for us to gain.

It's the former Kraft Fight Hunger/Foster Farms Bowl. On one hand, in the grand scheme of things it's considered a lower-tier bowl. On the other hand, it's been moved from Dec. 27 to Dec. 31, and it's a great destination, so I'd be happy to go there. I'd say it's almost definitely our destination if we lose to Iowa, Minny, or Illinois. If we beat Iowa, then Holiday is in the conversation, and Citrus if we get to Indy.

Reactions: rmndcat
It's the former Kraft Fight Hunger/Foster Farms Bowl. On one hand, in the grand scheme of things it's considered a lower-tier bowl. On the other hand, it's been moved from Dec. 27 to Dec. 31, and it's a great destination, so I'd be happy to go there. I'd say it's almost definitely our destination if we lose to Iowa, Minny, or Illinois. If we beat Iowa, then Holiday is in the conversation, and Citrus if we get to Indy.

Let me fix that for you.....
"...it's a great destination, so a few might be happy to go there. I'd say it's almost definitely not our destination after beating Iowa, Minny, and Illinois. After we beat Iowa, then Holiday is in the conversation, and Citrus when we get to Indy."

After Week 9:

Tally:
Redbox (Dec. 31/Santa Clara) - 6
Holiday (Dec. 31/San Diego) - 2
Gator (Dec. 31/Jacksonville) - 1
Citrus (Jan. 1/Orlando) - 1

Our first game next season is at Stanford. Would they schedule us for two games in a row with the Cardinal?
I think this would be a good matchup in Pasadena on New Years Day (if Stanford makes it to the Rose Bowl).

I wonder if there will be a brave soul out there predicting NU in the Rose Bowl *before* they win the Big Ten championship? As in, "I expect them to run the table and beat Michigan/Ohio State in Indy, so I think it's the Rose Bowl." I can't imagine that can possibly happen this year.

Me too. Let's all agree to put the city in parentheses or something when discussing bowl destinations. Sure, we could google it, but...

Our first game next season is at Stanford. Would they schedule us for two games in a row with the Cardinal?
I think this would be a good matchup in Pasadena on New Years Day (if Stanford makes it to the Rose Bowl).

Neither the Redbox Bowl nor the Holiday Bowl committees care about whether these two teams are scheduled to play each other nine months after their bowl games.

Pac-12 is a mess right now...if we could actually make it to the Rose Bowl this year, I don't know that we will ever have a better shot at beating Pac-12 champs, whomever they may be.

Exactly. More importantly what the heck is a 'Redbox'?

I wonder if there will be a brave soul out there predicting NU in the Rose Bowl *before* they win the Big Ten championship? As in, "I expect them to run the table and beat Michigan/Ohio State in Indy, so I think it's the Rose Bowl." I can't imagine that can possibly happen this year.
I have a pretty good idea who that brave soul will be.

Reactions: rmndcat
After Week 10:

CBS Sports: Gator vs. Texas A&M
College Football News: Holiday vs. Utah
ESPN/Sherman: Holiday vs. Utah
ESPN/Bonagura: Redbox vs. Utah
Orlando Sentinel: Citrus vs. Kentucky
SB Nation: Redbox vs. Arizona State
Sporting News: Gator vs. Auburn
Stadium/McMurphy: Redbox vs. Oregon
USA TODAY: Redbox vs. Utah

Tally:
Gator (12/31 in Jax) - 2
Holiday (12/31 in San Diego) - 2

Most continue to assume the worst (Redbox), which I still consider a solid, winnable destination game.

After Week 9:

Stadium/McMurphy: Holiday vs. Washington

Tally:
Holiday (12/31 in San Diego) - 3
Gator (12/31 in Jax) - 1

I must have missed our sixth win......

I'll sign up for this scenario. Win out, beat Michigan to get to the Rose Bowl with a 9-4 record, and get to 10 wins for the season.

What I just meant is nobody is predicting the Rose Bowl for the Cats right now. I doubt anyone will predict it until it's already a done deal (i.e. from winning in Indy). In other words, nobody who predicts bowl games thinks NU will win in Indy, even if they're slowly coming to the realization that NU is going to be one of the two teams competing there.

What I just meant is nobody is predicting the Rose Bowl for the Cats right now. I doubt anyone will predict it until it's already a done deal (i.e. from winning in Indy). In other words, nobody who predicts bowl games thinks NU will win in Indy, even if they're slowly coming to the realization that NU is going to be one of the two teams competing there.
We're going to be considered around 12-14 point underdogs to Michigan or Ohio State in Indy so nobody would predict a Rose Bowl for us.

Then again a puncher's chance is all that matters for us.

If we lose in Indy to Michigan, they may be in the Playoff 4. Then who goes to the Rose Bowl? Do they have to take us?

If we lose in Indy to Michigan, they may be in the Playoff 4. Then who goes to the Rose Bowl? Do they have to take us?
No, these days they almost always take the next highest ranked team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 if the conference champion is in the playoff.

It'll be the loser of Ohio State-Michigan or Penn State I'd guess (whichever is 10-2).

[Whoever's next highest in the CFP rankings will get the bid]

No, these days they almost always take the next highest ranked team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 if the conference champion is in the playoff.

It'll be the loser of Ohio State-Michigan or Penn State I'd guess (whichever is 10-2).

[Whoever's next highest in the CFP rankings will get the bid]
Yeah pretty sure these days there’s an actual rule on that (next highest rank). Now, obviously if we win the conference (CG) we override the rule for replacement team and just go to the Rose Bowl directly. So, that’s what we’ve got to do!

Yeah pretty sure these days there’s an actual rule on that (next highest rank). Now, obviously if we win the conference (CG) we override the rule for replacement team and just go to the Rose Bowl directly. So, that’s what we’ve got to do!

The ONLY way we go to the Rose Bowl is if we win in Indy. Who's ready to bet on that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT