ADVERTISEMENT

Bowser’s Long TD Run

I played it back a couple of times as it was a thing of beauty. The bonehead announcers mentioned pulling guards, but in actuality it was Slater and Thomas doing the pulling and making two tremendous blocks. Those two have been arguably our best OL this year and will be the anchors to next year’s line.

Great vision by Bruiser to make the adjustment. Also surprised by his speed at the end. It looked a bit like one of DA2's "untoucheddowns".

Reactions: drewjin and zeek55
I played it back a couple of times as it was a thing of beauty. The bonehead announcers mentioned pulling guards, but in actuality it was Slater and Thomas doing the pulling and making two tremendous blocks. Those two have been arguably our best OL this year and will be the anchors to next year’s line.
Our run blocking has arguably been among the very best in the Big Ten all season. It's just that we couldn't exploit that until these past 4 weeks.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Our run blocking has arguably been among the very best in the Big Ten all season. It's just that we couldn't exploit that until these past 4 weeks.
We did pretty well with the running game the first three weeks as well

Here is every carry by Bowser vs. Io_a.

He showed such variety this Saturday: vision, balance, patience, timing, cuts, strength; the whole skill set was there against Iowa whether he went to the edges or straight down the middle.

After the Rutgers and Wisconsin games, I thought he was raw but had flashes of all those things; I thought next year we might see a breakout game where he showed some longer runs and an ability to really stretch the field.

But he put it together like that on Saturday, well ahead of schedule.

Run blocking was obviously excellent, which is a credit to the OL.

No way he is necessarily better than Larkin. Different Runners but Larkin was exceptional otherwise he would have been playing already ahead of him.

No way he is necessarily better than Larkin. Different Runners but Larkin was exceptional otherwise he would have been playing already ahead of him.

Bowser seems to be improving with experience. He admitted to gaining confidence in the post game press conference

When have I heard that before?

See you in Indy Big Boy!!!!

Go Cats!!!!!

GOUNUII

Uh Bowser got onto campus less than 12 months ago. This is completely untrue. Bowser's raw, he was planned to redshirt this year and bulk up.

I don't care to compare him to Larkin (they're completely different runners), but I doubt there was any kind of plan to have Drake or Bowser compete to be starter this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaCat

Great job by all on this play. You also see Bowser hesitate for about a quarter second to let Thomas get over and make the last key block to seal the hole and spring the TD. Beautiful stuff.

Is there anyone on the team or on their way who could become a change-of-pace back in the future?

I could watch that sequence over and over. A few things stand out:

1) Our o-line on many runs moved the LoS 1-2 yards downfield
2) We have a very good center
3) Slater pulls well
4) Bowser runs through arm tackles like a Liz Taylor ran through husbands.

Reactions: zeek55
I could watch that sequence over and over. A few things stand out:

1) Our o-line on many runs moved the LoS 1-2 yards downfield
2) We have a very good center
3) Slater pulls well
4) Bowser runs through arm tackles like a Liz Taylor ran through husbands.

We should be looking at a fairly decent OL next year; Slater & Thomas as anchors - gotta sure up that one OT spot.

Slater - Urban - Thomas - Gerak - Vogel

Weiderkehr and Stovall as the top reserves. Hoping one of the frosh surprise as well (Franks, Foster, D'Antonio/Rowley).

Not a surprise since he had a couple of 400 yard games in high school. He may get up to the 225-230 range but it may slow him down like it did to Awalk. However, he would be that much more of a load to take down.

Bowser makes people miss with subtle cuts and change in direction, then has deceptively quick burst that lets him blow by people. And then he tops off a lot of runs by hammering the tackler. Really enjoy watching him run

I thought the key block on the run was the "ass bump" by Slater that moved Bowser past the last defender

Here are Darnell Autry highlights. Remind you of anyone?

Uh Bowser got onto campus less than 12 months ago. This is completely untrue. Bowser's raw, he was planned to redshirt this year and bulk up.

I don't care to compare him to Larkin (they're completely different runners), but I doubt there was any kind of plan to have Drake or Bowser compete to be starter this year.

Yeah, 2 different type of backs.

Would've made a hell of a 1-2 punch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT