ADVERTISEMENT

Bowser - I told you so - sort of

I said before the season he would win the job. Of course, who knew Larkin would retire

I will say that I did NOT think he would be as impactful as he has been. I do not think he is in the same class as Larkin, by any means. But I am very pleased with his toughness and ability to get 4-5 yards with almost every carry. Right now his best comparison to me is Noah Herron.

I will say that I did NOT think he would be as impactful as he has been. I do not think he is in the same class as Larkin, by any means. But I am very pleased with his toughness and ability to get 4-5 yards with almost every carry. Right now his best comparison to me is Noah Herron.
He is a totally different kind of back than Larkin. We still need a Larkin. Opposing defenses are not afraid Bowser will take it to the house from more than twenty yards out. Bowser is a bruiser who will wear some defenses down especially as he develops but NU needs a speed back too.

Reactions: DarthCat
He is a totally different kind of back than Larkin. We still need a Larkin. Opposing defenses are not afraid Bowser will take it to the house from more than twenty yards out. Bowser is a bruiser who will wear some defenses down especially as he develops but NU needs a speed back too.

I don’t think there is any drop off in straight line speed with Bowser vs. Larkin and JJTBC. I predict he will take it to the house on a 30+ yard run in the next 3 games.

I’m not sure I would call Larkin or JJ a “speed back.” Maybe Larkin was closer to that (see Music City Bowl last year). But NU’s run game has largely been 100-150 yards per game on 30+ carries for years. The idea is get to second-and-manageable and third-and-manageable so the defense can’t just assume pass and so the offense’s short crossing routes will be enough to move the chains.

If you want a more explosive offense, it is not going to come from just having a “speed back.” Time will tell if Hunter Johnson and some of the other talented young recruits will shift the offense in that direction.

He has made a huge difference in the NU O. Those playing in front of him were getting chewed up and spit out. Only injuries forced NU coaches to give Bowser his shot.

Did anyone like the fact that we used Vault as a bit of a change of pace back yesterday? Would like to see a tad more of that as Vault gets healthier, if only to reduce the wear on Bowser.

Having said that, Bowser outran ND's stud back yesterday, who had mostly been tearing it up since Book took over. Another impressive performance!

Last edited:
Bowser's alleviated the stresses on CT, and the fact that the OL has been providing far better run protection than pass protection has helped tremendously as we've balanced our offense out.

That being said, for the future, we still need a breakaway back who can put the whole offense on his back and get 1st downs or touchdowns out of nothing (like rip off 30 yards on 3rd and 8 or 2nd and 9). Obviously, those guys don't grow on trees, but I'd consider JJ and Larkin those types of backs.

Bowser's great for what he does (gives us a consistent offensive option to shorten the 2nd and 3rd downs), and I hope he gives us 3 more 100 yard games before the regular season ends. I also hope he gets stronger in the offseason and bulks up because we may end up with a project kind of RB recruit and it's uncertain we'll get an RB transfer. We'll need him next year the same way he's played these past 3 games.

And I’m the one who gets shouted at for being a dick?
Maybe. When you are talking football your posts are great, truly. Strange thing is, I almost always agree with you. You know what? I just talked myself into backing off. I will bother you no more, Sir!

Get over yourself.

Larkin is faster than Bowser. Period.

I would categorize running back speed as follows:

1. Elite breakaway speed. Able to take it to the house on every touch. Examples of recent NU backs = Venric Mark and Damien Anderson

2. Above average speed. Can bust a long run on occasion. JJTBC, Larkin, Trumpy, Darnell Autry

3. Average speed. Tyrell Sutton

4. Below average speed. No explanation needed.

The small sample size for Bowser would suggest #3 but it is still early in his career, not convinced that he can't get big chunks of yards given some decent holes.

Our OL run protection has been solid all season, much better than our pass protection overall.

As long as that continues, I'm bullish on Bowser. He's got enough speed and strength to get 3-5 yards on most plays; that's all that matters.

I want to see Bowser rip off 3 100+ yard games over these next 3 games.

Reactions: DaCat
Did anyone like the fact that we used Vault as a bit of a change of pace back yesterday? Would like to see a tad more of that as Vault gets healthier, if only to reduce the wear on Bowser.

Having said that, Bowser outran ND's stud back yesterday, who had mostly been tearing it up since Book took over. Another impressive performance!
I agree.

Our OL run protection has been solid all season, much better than our pass protection overall.

As long as that continues, I'm bullish on Bowser. He's got enough speed and strength to get 3-5 yards on most plays; that's all that matters.

I want to see Bowser rip off 3 100+ yard games over these next 3 games.
Bowser reminds me of Jordan Howard. Solid power back. That's all we need.

When Anderson fills out a bit he will offer the alternative you seek. These guys are going to be a great package for the next three years. How about using a two-back set on occasion?

1. Elite breakaway speed. Able to take it to the house on every touch. Examples of recent NU backs = Venric Mark and Damien Anderson

2. Above average speed. Can bust a long run on occasion. JJTBC, Larkin, Trumpy, Darnell Autry

The small sample size for Bowser would suggest #3 but it is still early in his career, not convinced that he can't get big chunks of yards given some decent holes.

Going just by my failing memory, I'd say that Sutton was faster than Trumpy, Autry and JJTBC. There were games (e.g. vs. Wisconsin '05) where Tyrell flat out accelerated away from pursuing defenders. Scroll to 3:37 in the below for a refresh.

Reactions: ricko654321
Notice more and more people are less and less amused with your one word condescending posts and therefore with you?

Perhaps you should get over yourself. Your fan club is pretty small and now you go attacking a main PKK guy? That’s Smart.

Oh hey, it's the other guy who has a personal vendetta against me for some reason! How you doing? Pretty happy we lost to ND so you can come back to bitch, eh?

Notice more and more people are less and less amused with your one word condescending posts and therefore with you?

Perhaps you should get over yourself. Your fan club is pretty small and now you go attacking a main PKK guy? That’s Smart.

Oh hey, it's the other guy who has a personal vendetta against me for some reason! How you doing? Pretty happy we lost to ND so you can come back to bitch, eh?

The other guy? I think that list is growing. Puke was most recent til you pissed on DaCat then StreamCat in this stream.

But you do you, it’s not like I’m going to influence your posting style any more than you will influence mine.

Cheers.

Going just by my failing memory, I'd say that Sutton was faster than Trumpy, Autry and JJTBC. There were games (e.g. vs. Wisconsin '05) where Tyrell flat out accelerated away from pursuing defenders. Scroll to 3:37 in the below for a refresh.

I think Sutton had more speed as a freshman, so you could be right. But as his career progressed, he got slower, probably a combination of injuries and extra bulk to handle the B1G pounding.

No way Sutton was faster than Trumpy. Trumpy had sprinter speed and Sutton was nowhere close. Sutton was much quicker than Trumpy, which is probably a more importamt quality for a RB to have.

You forgot one:

5. SEC speed: They tell you he's really fast, but it's mostly bullshit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT