ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Underwood is dirty, going back to Bob Huggins and Frank Martin at K-State

AlliCat_is_back

May 2, 2011
We all see the assistant Brad Underwood brought to Oklahoma State, Lamont Evans, has been taking bribes for some time. He's been charged with Fraud and Corruption and has surrendered to Federal Authorities.

http://www.news9.com/story/36454208...-lamont-evans-charged-in-bribery-fraud-scheme

Lamont Evans was hired by Underwood as his Recruiting Coordinator when he went to Oklahoma State. Yikes. Underwood and Evans worked together on the staffs at Kansas State and South Carolina, under Frank Martin, who is also in this current bribery scandal. South Carolina is now "University-2."

Michael Beasley has admitted he went to K-State because Bob Huggins paid his AAU coach Dalante Hill, and so he followed him to Manhattan, Kansas. And who was Director of Basketball Operations? Brad Underwood. Then after one season Frank Martin became head coach, and hired Underwood as his assistant. Underwood then followed him to South Carolina.

Later Underwood becomes a head coach at Stephen F. Austin, Oklahoma State, and then U of Illinois-Champaign/Urbana, and whaddya know despite being at each of these schools for short stays, he's always improbably putting together great recruiting classes. Hmm...

We haven't heard the end of this, folks. Even if he's not caught on tape or video... Everybody knows. Underwood is up to no good.

There's an old Albanian saying.

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

Last edited:
Reactions: mickbula
We'll see. Would be lying if I said I weren't nervous, but most schools should be. This is a big deal and not over, and I'd guess this was rather widespread. No one (or very few fan bases) should be laughing just yet. However, you guys are probably the one fan base in America most ready to believe the sentiment in the OP, so you're almost as biased that way as we are thinking we'll be okay. Underwood, so far, has nothing to do with this FBI investigation. The only trouble he might be in is if the NCAA enacts the whole "the head coach is responsible for everything" rule that they adopted a few years back, but they could be going after a LOT of coaches by the end of this. Underwood might end up being involved, but right now it's purely speculation, and Illinois has nothing to do with this.

Either way, the absolute worst case scenario is that this gets tied to Underwood, and Illinois has to fire him while facing zero penalties themselves (after all, of all the speculative things you're accusing him of knowing/participating in, it will fall on State, not us). Starting over suck, but you're being really unfair (which wouldn't be unusual from a rival fan base) if you think this reflects super badly on Illinois. Josh Whitman has never been accused of being a shady guy, and if it is found that Underwood is at fault, he will be fired. I highly doubt it comes to that, but maybe.

We'll see. Would be lying if I said I weren't nervous, but most schools should be. This is a big deal and not over, and I'd guess this was rather widespread. No one (or very few fan bases) should be laughing just yet. However, you guys are probably the one fan base in America most ready to believe the sentiment in the OP, so you're almost as biased that way as we are thinking we'll be okay. Underwood, so far, has nothing to do with this FBI investigation. The only trouble he might be in is if the NCAA enacts the whole "the head coach is responsible for everything" rule that they adopted a few years back, but they could be going after a LOT of coaches by the end of this. Underwood might end up being involved, but right now it's purely speculation, and Illinois has nothing to do with this.

Either way, the absolute worst case scenario is that this gets tied to Underwood, and Illinois has to fire him while facing zero penalties themselves (after all, of all the speculative things you're accusing him of knowing/participating in, it will fall on State, not us). Starting over suck, but you're being really unfair (which wouldn't be unusual from a rival fan base) if you think this reflects super badly on Illinois. Josh Whitman has never been accused of being a shady guy, and if it is found that Underwood is at fault, he will be fired. I highly doubt it comes to that, but maybe.
This is one case where guilt by association should count for something. I would not be surprised at all to find out that these systems were set up in such a way to make sure the head coach had plausible deniability. Yet, that really shouldn't be the standard we set for head coaches at academic institutions.

This is one case where guilt by association should count for something. I would not be surprised at all to find out that these systems were set up in such a way to make sure the head coach had plausible deniability. Yet, that really shouldn't be the standard we set for head coaches at academic institutions.

Not just guilt by association. But guilt by association, and another association, and another association, etc. Anyone with a brain knows Underwood had a role...and a THE VERY LEAST, was well aware.

Well you're a lot more impressed with Oklahoma St's recruiting class last year than most people. And SFA's as well, though I didn't even bother to look at them since they are a low major.

This thing is going to go on for a long time and impact a lot of programs. Underwood may or may not be involved, too soon to say.

Didn't seem to protect Pitino

Not just guilt by association. But guilt by association, and another association, and another association, etc. Anyone with a brain knows Underwood had a role...and a THE VERY LEAST, was well aware.
Let's just say that he likely knew something or is pretty naive. And neither looks good.

Many times it's true when they say, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." The smoke is thick and heavy from the general direction of Underwood.

Is the totality of the OKSU charge that the asst coach took payoffs from agents/financial advisors to steer future pro players to their services?

If that's the case, that doesn't really help OKSU recruit and it's possible the asst coach was doing it on the down low. For the amount he received....low four figures....he put a half million salary at risk.

Under this scenario, Underwood would have been incredibly stupid in addition to being dirty and greedy.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Many times it's true when they say, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." The smoke is thick and heavy from the general direction of Underwood.
Wonder what the AD at Illinois thought he was getting in Underwood. Maybe a winning coach, although at a suspect program. They also got a guy who claimed that his stop at Okla. St. was his "dream job" but left after one year. Then they watched as he hired a very suspect AAU coach and an another assistant who was tainted in a recruiting scandal. As you said where there is smoke there is fire and it seems to be inching close to that school in Champaign.

Wonder what the AD at Illinois thought he was getting in Underwood. Maybe a winning coach, although at a suspect program. They also got a guy who claimed that his stop at Okla. St. was his "dream job" but left after one year. Then they watched as he hired a very suspect AAU coach and an another assistant who was tainted in a recruiting scandal. As you said where there is smoke there is fire and it seems to be inching close to that school in Champaign.
Willy, are you related to Fitzee's Bottom in some shape or form? Your irrational hatred of UI is somewhat scary so curious if you learned it from him.

This is for Booty Maximus, regarding Underwood's recruiting class at OSU. It was good enough to be bought! Read this man, if you think Underwood didn't know, then wow, you're incredibly naive.

Oklahoma State University men’s basketball associate head coach Lamont Evans is facing federal bribery, fraud and corruption charges after an ongoing FBI investigation spanning more than two years.

FBI special agents, with the help of a cooperating witness, started investigating bribery in college basketball in the spring of 2015. The cooperating witness, whom CNBC.com identified as Louis Martin “Marty” Blazer III, was reportedly introduced to Christian Dawkins, an employee at a sports management company.

Rashan Michel, a former NBA official and owner of an Atlanta-based clothing company according to AL.com, introduced Blazer to Dawkins, according to Tuesday’s filing in New York’s Southern District federal court. Both in 2015 and before Blazer reportedly started working with law enforcement, he and Michel discussed how Dawkins had allegedly previously bribed college coaches and student athletes.

After Blazer started cooperating with the FBI, he reportedly asked Dawkins if he knew of any coaches who would be willing to take bribes to push their players to Blazer’s financial advisory company. Dawkins then reportedly suggested Evans, then an assistant coach at the University of South Carolina.

The filing states that Evans, who was hired by former OSU coach Brad Underwood, was initially offered $25,000 in $8,000 installments to push his players to Blazer’s advisory company. Hawkins, Evans and Blazer reportedly talked on the phone in February 2016 and later met in person at a restaurant near South Carolina’s campus to discuss several of Evans’ players as Blazer’s future clients in exchange for bribes.

During the meeting, which was reportedly captured on audio and video recordings, Dawkins reportedly advised Munish Sood, another financial adviser, and Blazer to partner with Evans early to secure future clients later in Evans’ coaching career.

In March 2016, Blazer reportedly received a text message from and called Evans’ personal cell phone. In the call, which was recorded, Evans reportedly told Blazer he hoped they “can get together in the future and do some things” and that he was “on board with everything.”

OSU announced Evans’ hiring as associate head coach under new coach Brad Underwood on April 4, 2016. In a recorded call after his hiring at OSU, Evans reportedly told Blazer that OSU was a “better job” that meant “better players, more, more, more business.”

Over the course of multiple recorded meetings, phone calls and text messages, Evans tried to confirm payment details for both himself and to use in recruiting players for OSU.

In a May 3, 2016 phone call, Evans reportedly informed Blazer he had received a pair of “high end” headphones he had requested and then both agreed to a $2,000 per month payment schedule. Evans also reportedly told Blazer on the call he wanted to introduce an OSU player to Blazer to include in his financial advisory firm.

Throughout July 2016, Evans and Blazer reportedly discussed the payments’ logistics over multiple phone calls, and Evans asked for separate payments to give to high school prospects he hoped to recruit to OSU.

During an August 2016 meeting with Blazer in Miami, Evans reportedly accepted a $1,000 bribe to steer an OSU player to Blazer and Sood’s firms. They also reportedly discussed specific players Evans hoped to sign for the 2017-18 season.

The filing claims that Evans accepted bribes throughout the 2016-17 basketball season and arranged a meeting between Blazer and an OSU player, identified in the filing as Player-4. Evans set up a meeting for Feb. 3 in West Virginia, the day before OSU’s game against West Virginia University.

On Feb. 3, Evans, Blazer and Player-4 met in Evans’ hotel room under audio and video surveillance, according to the filing. In the meeting, Evans reportedly touted Blazer’s service and pressured Player-4 to use them. After Player-4 left the room, Blazer gave Evans $2,000 in cash, according to the filing.

Before Player-4 entered the hotel room, Evans reportedly asked Blazer for money to get a commitment from an OSU recruit’s mother. The recruit, who isn’t identified in the filing, reportedly committed to Evans and OSU but wanted a commitment from the recruit’s mother because the recruit would “be thinking about business.”

Source: http://www.ocolly.com/news/federal-...cle_bdd3b85e-a325-11e7-b336-f719b82d5ad7.html

Willy, are you related to Fitzee's Bottom in some shape or form? Your irrational hatred of UI is somewhat scary so curious if you learned it from him.
Actually like the U of I. In fact my better half graduated from there and the vet school once pulled one of our dogs through a serious illness. It's just the crap that spew forward from the athletic department that's the sour point for me. let me ask you a ?. What do you think of Underwood, now that the dirt of his associations are coming out? How about his recent hires? remember where there is smoke and lots of it, there is fire.

Well, if there is guilt by association, what does that say about Collins? There's been plenty of "smoke" around the Duke program for years.

Well, if there is guilt by association, what does that say about Collins? There's been plenty of "smoke" around the Duke program for years.
Don't lie. Just when was Duke investigated by the NCAA or the FBI? When were they put on probation or worse?

I would agree that if they discovered his involvement in questionable activities at his former homes. IL would not have any involvement in those activities and it should likely result in his firing. But if they discovered similar activities in the current Ill recruiting class......

Well, an Albanian said it to me, and he first prefaced with, "There's an old Albanian saying...."

So, maybe it's not an old Albanian saying, but an old Albanian said it.
So it is an old Albanian saying.

I’m a young Albanian and I’ve never heard it before but maybe lol

Edit: it is an Albanian saying. Never heard it before

Last edited:
There's an old Russian proverb:
"It is easier for the mare when a woman gets off the cart."

Think on that for awhile...

How about innocent till proven guilty?

Why? That is one of the biggest myths running in this country. Not true in our legal system, not true in other system within this country. Hell, even the NU student disciplinary does not operate in a such a fashion. But sure sounds nice and pious.

I read that there will be more indictments in the next two weeks

Last edited:
We all see the assistant Brad Underwood brought to Oklahoma State, Lamont Evans, has been taking bribes for some time. He's been charged with Fraud and Corruption and has surrendered to Federal Authorities.

http://www.news9.com/story/36454208...-lamont-evans-charged-in-bribery-fraud-scheme

Lamont Evans was hired by Underwood as his Recruiting Coordinator when he went to Oklahoma State. Yikes. Underwood and Evans worked together on the staffs at Kansas State and South Carolina, under Frank Martin, who is also in this current bribery scandal. South Carolina is now "University-2."

Michael Beasley has admitted he went to K-State because Bob Huggins paid his AAU coach Dalante Hill, and so he followed him to Manhattan, Kansas. And who was Director of Basketball Operations? Brad Underwood. Then after one season Frank Martin became head coach, and hired Underwood as his assistant. Underwood then followed him to South Carolina.

Later Underwood becomes a head coach at Stephen F. Austin, Oklahoma State, and then U of Illinois-Champaign/Urbana, and whaddya know despite being at each of these schools for short stays, he's always improbably putting together great recruiting classes. Hmm...

We haven't heard the end of this, folks. Even if he's not caught on tape or video... Everybody knows. Underwood is up to no good.
My favorite line is the one referring to great classes at Stephen F Austin(LOL), OK st(one recruit who was 113 on rivals) and Uof I Frazier(committed to previous staff), Smith, and a kid who decommitted from UIC and a Slovenian kid....the fear is palpable....carry on

My favorite line is the one referring to great classes at Stephen F Austin(LOL), OK st(one recruit who was 113 on rivals) and Uof I Frazier(committed to previous staff), Smith, and a kid who decommitted from UIC and a Slovenian kid....the fear is palpable....carry on
Why would there be fear? You will likely add Ayo in the next week and will pretty much always get decent players that will mean you will likely be competitive and even challenging occasionally for top tier in the B1G. Our talent should be close and we have better coaching, so the games and the standing order should be close.

Why would there be fear? You will likely add Ayo in the next week and will pretty much always get decent players that will mean you will likely be competitive and even challenging occasionally for top tier in the B1G. Our talent should be close and we have better coaching, so the games and the standing order should be close.
You have better coaching? We will see....

It's only a matter of time -- when not if -- before the truth about Underwood is revealed.

I thought that part was obvious. Your Assistants are recruiters, period. You will probably get better rated talent than NU and many other conference foes, but you will take your share of losses due to lack of development. There is a reason BU didn't get a power job until he became a dinosaur! He ain't no John Wooden.

Let's see - Chris Collins did something no other NU coach including the likes of Harold Olsen (College HOF coach, NCAA runner up, 4 Final 4s, 5 B1G titles), Tex Winter (NBA and College HOF coach, 2 Final Fours, 7 Big 12 titles, NBA head coach), Bill Foster (NCAA Runner-Up, NCAA COY, first coach ever to bring 4 different programs to 20 wins), Kevin O'Neill (coached 2 other programs to the NCAAs, NBA head coach) and Bill Carmody (coached 2 other programs to the NCAAs and Princeton to the Sweet 16) could not. Not to mention he brought the program from 10 wins to a school record 24 within 4 years with a team largely of his own recruits, demonstrating a turnaround of monumental scale. Also, he was tutored by Coach K for 17 years as an assistant and player with Duke and USA Basketball and has two national championship rings on his fingers.

Meanwhile, Brad Underwood spent a lot of time running community college programs, is part of the Bob Huggins family tree - Bob of course presided over a program at WVU that was cited for multiple recruiting violations and was cited by Beasley for having paid him. Underwood also worked with Frank Martin (who was also from the Huggins tree) who is now being investigated for federal crimes of fraud and bribery, Underwood took over a SF Austin team that was already 1st in conference when he arrived and proceeded to win 3 more title in the Southland conference largely with players that his predecessor recruited. He spent one year at Oklahoma State taking players recruited by his predecessor to the NCAA. He has no demonstration that he can turnaround an NCAA program. He has zero NCAA championship rings. Meanwhile, that same Oklahoma State program is now being investigated for massive recruiting violations and related federal crimes by the FBI for things that happened under his watch and by an assistant that he picked by hand to come with him. Coaches he worked closely with in the past including both his mentor Martin and his chief assistant that he brought to Oklahoma State, Lamont Evans, have been named as defendants for federal crimes. Guilt by association? Maybe not. Innocent until proven guilty? Perhaps. But, he looks guilty as sin to me.

I don't know what else we have to see here. You keep Underwood. We're thrilled with Collins. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly_32

Wrong. Oklahoma State under Underwood landed two highly-rated recruits out of Miami: Zack Dawson and Latravian Glover.

Underwood's top assistant Evans was in Miami for the purpose of exchanging cash bribes. Read the indictment. Put two and two together. And stop lying.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article113895498.html

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2016/11/11/13593330/brad-underwood-lands-two-4-star-recruits

Wrong. Oklahoma State under Underwood landed two highly-rated recruits out of Miami: Zack Dawson and Latravian Glover.

Underwood's top assistant Evans was in Miami for the purpose of exchanging cash bribes. Read the indictment. Put two and two together. And stop lying.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article113895498.html

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2016/11/11/13593330/brad-underwood-lands-two-4-star-recruits

"I felt comfortable with the coaches and felt it was the best choice for me and my family."

"Being able to play with Zack and I felt like their program is a great place where I can better myself and make the best of an opportunity for myself and my family."

Nothing wrong with taking care of your family if the cash is there... unless it breaks rules, of course.

"I felt comfortable with the coaches and felt it was the best choice for me and my family."

"Being able to play with Zack and I felt like their program is a great place where I can better myself and make the best of an opportunity for myself and my family."

Nothing wrong with taking care of your family if the cash is there... unless it breaks rules, of course.

Good catch - funny that the "opportunity" for his family would be his primary concern in deciding to go from Miami to Stillwater, Oklahoma :rolleyes:

So the timeline went... Lamont Evans goes to Miami in August 2016 for the cash bribes... by November 2016 Underwood gets these two four stars to do "what's best for my family" and commit to Okie State. After Underwood leaves Dawson sticks with Okie State, and Latravian Glover? I kid you not, he goes to play basketball in... the Virgin Islands. Maybe he's there to manage his cash accounts? No but really, that is so bizarre. You have to wonder if he got wind of the investigation, couldn't qualify academically, or what the deal is. I didn't even know the Virgin Islands had a basketball team - they're not NCAA D1, right??

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/former-osu-signee-latravian-glover-commits-university-virgin-islands/

So now the whole Ayo / Mac Irvin Fire / Talen Horton Tucker thing makes more sense: If Ayo and MIF split the money from Underwood, then they probably wanted to make sure THT and Team Rose didn't get the same deal. It's not just AAU politics, it's AAU competing business interests.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT