ADVERTISEMENT

Braun/Gragg Article in Sun-Times

Actually it does.
If NU had written

"Based on Hickey’s findings or recommendations, the University will take the following actions:
  • Head coach Fitzgerald has been placed on a two-week suspension without pay, beginning immediately."
you would be correct.
But they said "findings and recommendations" so you are incorrect.
The suspension was based on Hickey's findings and recommendations.

You’re overthinking it.

Reactions: Bwm57
I highly doubt that they didn't specifically recommend a short suspension, if not exactly two weeks.

You don't get paid to do an 6 month investigation, then recommend "discipline the head coach" without giving details.

Either they recommended a specific discipline or they made no comment on punishment whatsoever.

But, of course, NU says they did make a recommendation, so there's that.
Keep dying on that hill

Reactions: IGNORE2
He's beyond "coaching." He's not suited to the main public representative and administrator of a major college sports program. He is beyond repair. Time to cut bait.
Problem is that they seem to be saving that for when it will be saving someone else's hide

It doesn’t mean the recommendations were to suspend fitz for two weeks. The recommendation could have been to have some sort of punishment, it could have been a recommendation to put wheels in motion to fix the hazing issue ASAP, which NU felt meant that it was serious enough to warrant a suspension.

If NU is taking advice from a law firm on how to discipline its athletic staff we have a a much larger issue at hand, and that law firm isn’t credible.
We already know we do

Okay I will agree.
It strongly suggests that the law firm recommended a two week suspension, but it is possible that they recommended some other punishment.
They may have just suggested that some punishment was in order but NU should check their personnel policy to determine what that should be

Keep dying on that hill
Lets try something easier... see how you do.

"I may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction. In determining an appropriate penalty for the head coach, I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn't know and not enough on what he should have known," said University President Michael Schill.

Does Schill tell us that the report concluded that Fitzgerald did not know about the alleged incidents?

Lets try something easier... see how you do.

"I may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction. In determining an appropriate penalty for the head coach, I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn't know and not enough on what he should have known," said University President Michael Schill.

Does Schill tell us that the report concluded that Fitzgerald did not know about the alleged incidents?

Yes

Reactions: Bwm57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT