ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark in the NBA? The Big3 offered her $5M to play!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Given all the constant hype, I was wondering.

Could Iowa’s Caitlin Clark make it as a Steph Curry type player in the NBA?

If Candace Parker and Brittney Griner couldn't then I doubt Clark can. What do you all think?

UPDATE: @Sec.112 got me thinking. Even if the NBA is unrealistic, could Caitlin play on Northwestern or another men’s Big Ten Team?

Last edited:
Personal opinion, zero chance for her.

Could she be an off-the bench catch-and-shoot 3 guard with limited minutes? Yes, but I don't believe she can defend at that level, so even that seems improbable.

But she'll do well in the WNBA.

If Candace Parker and Brittney Griner couldn't then I doubt Clark can. What do you all think?
I thought you were kidding but the fact that others even considered the possibility shows how far I have drifted from the thought processes of today's generation. She is a wonderful female(XX) player and that is how she should be evaluated . There continues to be insurmountable advantages of (XY) in many sports and that should be how sports competitions should be legislated. XX v XX and XY v XY. Allowing competition on how you perceive yourself is ridiculous.

She would struggle to put up more than 5-7 points (and I'm being generous) a game against shitty D3 teams

I thought you were kidding but the fact that others even considered the possibility shows how far I have drifted from the thought processes of today's generation. She is a wonderful female(XX) player and that is how she should be evaluated . There continues to be insurmountable advantages of (XY) in many sports and that should be how sports competitions should be legislated. XX v XX and XY v XY. Allowing competition on how you perceive yourself is ridiculous.
What parts of X and Y? How much do they need to be expressed? I mean if we’re going to get in to it, then we really need to get in deep.

She would beat anyone at HORSE assuming dunks are not allowed. Extraordinary range. She would do very well against most high school players. She would be toast at all but the weakest college teams.

Folks have to get serious. The US women's soccer team lost a scrimmage to a Boys U15 Academy soccer team from Dallas. Grown ass women against boys. Now, I understand that it was a scrimmage. Think about this--assign Chase Audige, a guard, to cover her. He is bigger, stronger, faster and quicker. How many points will she score?

Caitlin would have a problem with the bigger ball. She would not be competitive against decent boys high school teams. Love watching her though.

She wouldn't even start for the #1 boys high school team.
She would struggle to put up more than 5-7 points (and I'm being generous) a game against shitty D3 teams
Caitlin would have a problem with the bigger ball. She would not be competitive against decent boys high school teams. Love watching her though.
I think it’s ridiculous to say that she or other professional female players would get absolutely embarrassed by amateurs. Being able to shoot 3s alone would keep her in most team games if she was paired with decent teammates.

I heard that Candace Parker used to embarrass really good male Chicagoland players 1-on-1. Ju Ju from USC sounds like a similar talent.

It may shock some of our message board gurus to learn that two women have been drafted by NBA teams (one was voided). Even if it’s not Clark, we’ll likely see a female get drafted into the NBA at some point. I wonder if Griner could have competed at her prime before Russia did what they do.

I think it’s ridiculous to say that she or other professional female players would get absolutely embarrassed by amateurs. Being able to shoot 3s alone would keep her in most team games if she was paired with decent teammates.

I heard that Candace Parker used to embarrass really good male Chicagoland players 1-on-1. Ju Ju from USC sounds like a similar talent.

It may shock some of our message board gurus to learn that two women have been drafted by NBA teams (one was voided). Even if it’s not Clark, we’ll likely see a female get drafted into the NBA at some point. I wonder if Griner could have competed at her prime before Russia did what they do.
I’m going to go to the ATM, and I’m going to sell my house, and I’m going to put all my money on DeMarcus Cousins.” - Geno Auriemma when asked about Britney Greiner saying she could beat Demarcus Cousins 1 on 1

Reactions: cmhawks99 and NJCat

Utter nonsense spoken by somebody who knows very little about basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: phatcat and GOUNUII
I have a nephew who was a pretty good high school basketball player. He is 5'9". He went to Penn State, where he was asked by the women's basketball coach to play one-on-one games to 10 with their guards. He beat them on average 10 - 2. To suggest that Caitlin Clark could compete at any level against men is absolutely ridiculous!

I have a nephew who was a pretty good high school basketball player. He is 5'9". He went to Penn State, where he was asked by the women's basketball coach to play one-on-one games to 10 with their guards. He beat them on average 10 - 2. To suggest that Caitlin Clark could compete at any level against men is absolutely ridiculous!

I’m sure you took time off of work to trek to Happy Valley and watch your tiny nephew play females one-on-one, counselor. Totally believable. :rolleyes:

I’m going to go to the ATM, and I’m going to sell my house, and I’m going to put all my money on DeMarcus Cousins.” - Geno Auriemma when asked about Britney Greiner saying she could beat Demarcus Cousins 1 on 1
That’s a pretty funny quote. Cousins would have crushed most humans 1 on 1 before all of his injuries, including a torn Achilles.

However, the game appears to have passed Geno by. He hasn’t won a national championship since 2016 and was likely bitter that Griner didn’t attend Uconn.

One of my HS (football) teammates was also a starting F one our basketball team. Probably about 6'4" tall and would have rode the bench if he wanted to play D3 hoops. Went to U of I instead where he was on a practice team that would scrimmage the women's team. He said here and there they'd have a crafty post move or hook on him but the second he decided to get any physical at all he'd body them and they stood zero chance.

I went to North Central in Naperville. Our starting guards were white guys that were hardly 6' tall, if that. They could dunk with ease. Caitlyn Clark is 6' tall, cannot dunk, and has about 40 pounds less muscle than those guys did.

The explosion and lateral movement is a different universe from men to women. She would get the ball stripped from her constantly I bet, and if you wanted to put someone with length on her, like a wing, she's never be able to get the ball off.

She she could hit open 3s off drawn up plays, but a lot of guys wouldn't even allow her to get open. She'd get annihilated most nights

Stop.

Folks have to get serious. The US women's soccer team lost a scrimmage to a Boys U15 Academy soccer team from Dallas. Grown ass women against boys. Now, I understand that it was a scrimmage. Think about this--assign Chase Audige, a guard, to cover her. He is bigger, stronger, faster and quicker. How many points will she score?
This was my EXACT next post. Was legit going to use Audige, a dude who MIGHT sniff the NBA...
...she wouldn't score one single point and he'd score every single time he had the ball

Do people think she'd start for Simeon HS? (Assuming Simeon is still Simeon, I haven't looked in forever...)

That’s a pretty funny quote. Cousins would have crushed most humans 1 on 1 before all of his injuries, including a torn Achilles.

However, the game appears to have passed Geno by. He hasn’t won a national championship since 2016 and was likely bitter that Griner didn’t attend Uconn.
Aka his opinion has less weight than yours because it doesn't fit your insane narrative

One of my HS (football) teammates was also a starting F one our basketball team. Probably about 6'4" tall and would have rode the bench if he wanted to play D3 hoops. Went to U of I instead where he was on a practice team that would scrimmage the women's team. He said here and there they'd have a crafty post move or hook on him but the second he decided to get any physical at all he'd body them and they stood zero chance.

I went to North Central in Naperville. Our starting guards were white guys that were hardly 6' tall, if that. They could dunk with ease. Caitlyn Clark is 6' tall, cannot dunk, and has about 40 pounds less muscle than those guys did.

The explosion and lateral movement is a different universe from men to women. She would get the ball stripped from her constantly I bet, and if you wanted to put someone with length on her, like a wing, she's never be able to get the ball off.

She she could hit open 3s off drawn up plays, but a lot of guys wouldn't even allow her to get open. She'd get annihilated most nights
CMT is trolling. Even he doesn’t believe she would stand a chance. In fact, I have met CMT, I think if can shoot even average, he stands a chance against most Women players.

Everything you say is true.

But also true is that, maybe at D3, even D2 level, you would pick Clark to play on your team over 50% (probably much higher than this number) of the players.

It's not to say those 50% of players could not beat her 1 on 1. They could, for the reasons you pointed out. But Clark you could hide her disadvantages on defense on a not so good player, lots of those at the lower levels. And you could not possibly leave her alone like you would tons of players. She would kill you if you left her alone. Someone would have to seriously, with little help, guard her.

I’m sure you took time off of work to trek to Happy Valley and watch your tiny nephew play females one-on-one, counselor. Totally believable. :rolleyes:
Sad.:(

Everything you say is true.

But also true is that, maybe at D3, even D2 level, you would pick Clark to play on your team over 50% (probably much higher than this number) of the players.

It's not to say those 50% of players could not beat her 1 on 1. They could, for the reasons you pointed out. But Clark you could hide her disadvantages on defense on a not so good player, lots of those at the lower levels. And you could not possibly leave her alone like you would tons of players. She would kill you if you left her alone. Someone would have to seriously, with little help, guard her.
I have serious doubts about that. She'd need lots of practice with the men's ball and would never get open in any event.

It's an interesting intellectual discussion. I think many of us have certain preconceptions about the men's versus women's game that makes it very hard to believe she could be successful, but preconceptions get shattered all the time.

That said, the athleticism in the NBA is at such an unbelievable level that even the vast majority of really good men's Division I players don't stand a chance..... not just the benchwarmers, but actual star players that win awards. Their game doesn't translate to the next level. Thus, while someone like Clark might be skilled enough and shoot well enough (even adapting to the different ball), it is hard to see her game translating.

But I have no idea for certain. If Kurt Rambis can make it in the NBA, then maybe the universe of possibilities is bigger than we can imagine.

Your second paragraph is in disgracefully poor taste.

Are there people who really think she wouldn't be a high-level scorer against high school boys?

I especially love the Chase Audige comparison. Of course he'd win, easily...

Lets just put it this way... there were many moments from the last 3 seasons when I would have preferred Clark taking the shot.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin and TheC
I don't think she could play in the NBA. Remember, Nancy Lieberman didn't make it through an NBA camp with a bad Pacers team.

The question I kept asking myself during the Iowa-NU game a couple weeks ago was, "Could she play on a D1 men's team?" More specifically, (sorry JC) could she take Jordan Clayton's spot on NU? I think she could.

Could she get herself open to shoot that incredible three? Yes, in the flow of any decent offense she could.

She has GREAT (not good) court vision and instincts. GREAT passer.

She would get killed on the boards.

Could she keep an NCAA player in front of her on D? I think she would have trouble but she could adapt like many an NU player.

How many of these barely one-sided players have we seen come through NU? Let me count the ways, Jeff Ryan.

But someone who can shoot with strong consistency from the closest letter on "Welsh-Ryan Arena" on the floor and a good basketball IQ? She could be productive.

I haven't seen her play much, but when I did happen to be watching, her downcourt passing was really good.
As in "Wow, that was a great pass."

And she shoots better from distance than most D1 guys.

But no way in hell she plays NBA ball.

Reactions: drewjin
She would get asbolutely murdered on the defensive end in a college or even high school game. I can't even imagine an NBA game.

Reactions: No Chores
Just read No Chores comment that men play with a bigger ball than the women. Didn't know that.

I don't think she could play in the NBA. Remember, Nancy Lieberman didn't make it through an NBA camp with a bad Pacers team.

The question I kept asking myself during the Iowa-NU game a couple weeks ago was, "Could she play on a D1 men's team?" More specifically, (sorry JC) could she take Jordan Clayton's spot on NU? I think she could.

Could she get herself open to shoot that incredible three? Yes, in the flow of any decent offense she could.

Could she keep an NCAA player in front of her on D? I think she would have trouble but she could adapt like many an NU player.

How many of these barely one-sided players have we seen come through NU? Let me count the ways, Jeff Ryan.

But someone who can shoot with strong consistency from the closest letter on "Welsh-Ryan Arena" on the floor and a good basketball IQ? She could be productive.
“Can make impossibly deep threes” is a very unique skill set, and teams would thrive from the spacing she provided as a scorer. I imagine she’d be off the ball due to quickness issues.

I’d love to see what would happen if a smart coach got her.

I also think Juwanna Mann is a tremendous film.

Reactions: drewjin
She would get asbolutely murdered on the defensive end in a college or even high school game. I can't even imagine an NBA game.

She would be better than good against the universe of high school teams. There are plenty of guards that can't jump, are not super quick, decent but not great ball skills. Her shooting would make her a killer like Rick Mount (Remember that name?). In college, different story. Even low level programs have very good talent. She would be overwhelmed physically. She would make some shots, sure, but overall she would be a negative.

Here are a couple of question and I will use Jeff Ryan in his prime per your post. You have watched a ton of basketball. You have seen guys flat out sprint to get around a picket fence to get an open jumper. Do you really think she has the speed to lose Jeff Ryan through those screens? Does she have the quickness to get the shot off before the close out. Now, if she is just a player on the court, she may get an open shot and make it during a scramble.

I will give you a counter to consider. If you put Tominaga of Nebby in a girl’s game, he would go wild. Similar range, accurate, and can go off the ball. He has a very quick trigger. NU bottled him up and he was such a defensive liability that Hoiberg had to take him out. Do you really think Caitlin could match Tomjnaga’s on court ability? Do you think she would even be comparable to him on defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT