ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark in the NBA? The Big3 offered her $5M to play!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think she could play in the NBA. Remember, Nancy Lieberman didn't make it through an NBA camp with a bad Pacers team.

The question I kept asking myself during the Iowa-NU game a couple weeks ago was, "Could she play on a D1 men's team?" More specifically, (sorry JC) could she take Jordan Clayton's spot on NU? I think she could.

Could she get herself open to shoot that incredible three? Yes, in the flow of any decent offense she could.

She has GREAT (not good) court vision and instincts. GREAT passer.

She would get killed on the boards.

Could she keep an NCAA player in front of her on D? I think she would have trouble but she could adapt like many an NU player.

How many of these barely one-sided players have we seen come through NU? Let me count the ways, Jeff Ryan.

But someone who can shoot with strong consistency from the closest letter on "Welsh-Ryan Arena" on the floor and a good basketball IQ? She could be productive.

OMG, no. Please, make it stop.

Aka his opinion has less weight than yours because it doesn't fit your insane narrative
I have no narrative. I asked if Clark, or any female player, could compete in the NBA.

Geno had some interesting quotes about that and also Mark Cuban who said he might draft Griner in the late 2nd.

Perhaps Geno just has an axe to grind? UConn’s dynasty ended almost a decade ago.

I have no narrative. I asked if Clark, or any female player, could compete in the NBA.

Geno had some interesting quotes about that and also Mark Cuban who said he might draft Griner in the late 2nd.

Perhaps Geno just has an axe to grind? UConn’s dynasty ended almost a decade ago.

Hopefully, we can all agree that she is better at basketball than she is at acting or singing.

These kinds of questions are always so hilarious, like would Alabama beat the worst NFL team, etc.

I knew a guy who was about 6'3", decent (but not great) at basketball, who thought he could play even up against Will Perdue because Perdue was "so slow." Perdue was seven feet tall, multi-year NBA champion and much faster than anyone my friend ever played against. He just looked slow against Shaq (because everybody did).

These guys are so big, so fast, and have such amazing athletic skills/talent/reflexes. Clark has some great skills/talent too, but one 6'7" fast guy playing at 75% effort would just block all her shots, assuming she even got to the point of shooting.

Mark Cuban didn't and wouldn't draft Griner in the 2nd round. If he said that he was lying and pandering

Just read No Chores comment that men play with a bigger ball than the women. Didn't know that.
The women's ball is an inch smaller in diameter in the NCAAs.

I remember years ago watching an NU conference game, don't remember who they were playing, and for several minutes no one could hit a bucket. Like the ball was just being badly shot by everyone on both teams. They stopped the game, took a look, and realized they'd been using a women's ball. Switched it out, and suddenly baskets were being made. It was really weird.

A)... You have seen guys flat out sprint to get around a picket fence to get an open jumper. Do you really think she has the speed to lose Jeff Ryan through those screens? ... B) Does she have the quickness to get the shot off before the close out ... C) ... Do you really think Caitlin could match Tomjnaga’s on court ability? Do you think she would even be comparable to him on defense?
A) You're assuming every player "sprints" all out to get open. I'd argue that. I think I'm being generous in saying 40% go all-out off the ball to get open. So yes, she could lose Jeff Ryan in those screens.

B) Quick release. No problem.

C) You make a good comparison to Tominaga. But now we're raising the bar a bit.

Can Clarke be as good as an honorable mention B10 player? I'm not sure about that one. It would need to be the right situation. I don't think she would perform as well on that Nebraska team.

Tominaga is listed as 6-2, 179. Clarke is listed at 6-0, 154. Tominaga is probably faster and stronger. But I don't think there would be some mind-blowing advantage.

Think of it this way. Ryan Langborg (6-4, 195) spent a ton of the second Illinois game trying to keep up with an out-to-prove-something Terrance Shannon (6-6, 225). It's been a long time since I've seen somebody work so hard on defense.

I could see a similar mismatch between Tominaga and Clarke. I'm wondering if she could catch up over time.

But I can live with that initially if she's coming off my bench or she's playing for a mid-major.

Reactions: CatManTrue
A) You're assuming every player "sprints" all out to get open. I'd argue that. I think I'm being generous in saying 40% go all-out off the ball to get open. So yes, she could lose Jeff Ryan in those screens.

B) Quick release. No problem.

C) You make a good comparison to Tominaga. But now we're raising the bar a bit.

Can Clarke be as good as an honorable mention B10 player? I'm not sure about that one. It would need to be the right situation. I don't think she would perform as well on that Nebraska team.

Tominaga is listed as 6-2, 179. Clarke is listed at 6-0, 154. Tominaga is probably faster and stronger. But I don't think there would be some mind-blowing advantage.

Think of it this way. Ryan Langborg (6-4, 195) spent a ton of the second Illinois game trying to keep up with an out-to-prove-something Terrance Shannon (6-6, 225). It's been a long time since I've seen somebody work so hard on defense.

I could see a similar mismatch between Tominaga and Clarke. I'm wondering if she could catch up over time.

But I can live with that initially if she's coming off my bench or she's playing for a mid-major.
Now that Berry is out, this is more interesting. She is quicker than most of the girls against whom she plays. I do not know if you have ever watched girls and boys side by side. Go to an AAU torunament and watch the games side by side. Using a phonograph analogy, the girls play at 33 and boys at 78. The girls are just slow. I think the thoughts are nice, but not realistic.

She would get asbolutely murdered on the defensive end in a college or even high school game. I can't even imagine an NBA game.
Right you are my man! She would be helpless against men, but I really enjoy watching her play against women where she is clearly dominant and where she belongs.

Just read No Chores comment that men play with a bigger ball than the women. Didn't know that.
It's about an inch in diameter smaller for the women's ball, which makes a great deal of difference to a shooter.

I don't think she could play in the NBA. Remember, Nancy Lieberman didn't make it through an NBA camp with a bad Pacers team.

The question I kept asking myself during the Iowa-NU game a couple weeks ago was, "Could she play on a D1 men's team?" More specifically, (sorry JC) could she take Jordan Clayton's spot on NU? I think she could.

Could she get herself open to shoot that incredible three? Yes, in the flow of any decent offense she could.

She has GREAT (not good) court vision and instincts. GREAT passer.

She would get killed on the boards.

Could she keep an NCAA player in front of her on D? I think she would have trouble but she could adapt like many an NU player.

How many of these barely one-sided players have we seen come through NU? Let me count the ways, Jeff Ryan.

But someone who can shoot with strong consistency from the closest letter on "Welsh-Ryan Arena" on the floor and a good basketball IQ? She could be productive.
You think she could take Jordan Clayton's spot? Wow is that crazy or what?

Right you are my man! She would be helpless against men, but I really enjoy watching her play against women where she is clearly dominant and where she belongs.

You haven't seen a boys high school game in a long time, have you?

She would beat anyone at HORSE assuming dunks are not allowed. Extraordinary range. She would do very well against most high school players. She would be toast at all but the weakest college teams.
With which ball?

The women's ball is an inch smaller in diameter in the NCAAs.

I remember years ago watching an NU conference game, don't remember who they were playing, and for several minutes no one could hit a bucket. Like the ball was just being badly shot by everyone on both teams. They stopped the game, took a look, and realized they'd been using a women's ball. Switched it out, and suddenly baskets were being made. It was really weird.
And don’t forget that over the course of a season a smaller ball isn’t just lighter; it’s easier to make!

What is really astonishing is some seem to feel she could play D1 Men’s basketball. Ridiculous!

I think we should just celebrate her for who she is which is the best in her division.
A few years ago I was frequenting another board that had a politics room. I was one of a few conservatives. The rest ranged from liberal to crazed Progressive.

There was a news item about a young female Olympic powerlifter setting a record--probably close to what a high school freshman or sophomore powerlifter boy would do.

The conversation turned to speculating whether or not she could play in the NFL. The N-F-L. At that point, I injected some stark reality into the conversation. I went as far as to say there would not be a female DT in the NFL in my lifetime, nor likely my son's.

The vitriol was acidic and unrelenting. It was like I had pooped on the Papal tiara in the Vatican.

With which ball?

Good question which hadn't occurred to me until I saw No Chores comment on the differing ball size. I think she would be less effective but still would be tough to beat in a shooting contest. She's pure.

A few years ago I was frequenting another board that had a politics room. I was one of a few conservatives. The rest ranged from liberal to crazed Progressive.

There was a news item about a young female Olympic powerlifter setting a record--probably close to what a high school freshman or sophomore powerlifter boy would do.

The conversation turned to speculating whether or not she could play in the NFL. The N-F-L. At that point, I injected some stark reality into the conversation. I went as far as to say there would not be a female DT in the NFL in my lifetime, nor likely my son's.

The vitriol was acidic and unrelenting. It was like I had pooped on the Papal tiara in the Vatican.

Watching True Detective - Night Country now. It is like they took everything from Season One and reversed it - Artic Circle instead of southern Louisiana, dark vs light, alpha female cops and submissive males vs the opposite. I am a fan of the series through good and bad but the show stretches credibility.

• Wow
Reactions: CatManTrue
It's about an inch in diameter smaller for the women's ball, which makes a great deal of difference to a shooter.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

What is really astonishing is some seem to feel she could play D1 Men’s basketball. Ridiculous!
That isn't ridiculous. The range of talent across the D-1 men's spectrum is pretty huge. The question I have is how well she would adapt to the different ball size, because she's a heck of a shooter as it stands.

That isn't ridiculous. The range of talent across the D-1 men's spectrum is pretty huge. The question I have is how well she would adapt to the different ball size, because she's a heck of a shooter as it stands.
Do we think that Steph Curry would have been as successful at Northwestern as he was at Davidson?

He’s Clark’s best NBA comparable, correct? He Barely plays D and would be badly exposed without Draymond, but he runs the offense and shoots the lights out.

Do we think that Steph Curry would have been as successful at Northwestern as he was at Davidson?

He’s Clark’s best NBA comparable, correct? He Barely plays D and would be badly exposed without Draymond, but he runs the offense and shoots the lights out.
Steph's NBA career +/- is currently +5746... so I'm gonna guess he didn't get too badly exposed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Your second paragraph is in disgracefully poor taste.
Why? From 1994-2016 his team won 50% of all the national championships.

Since 2016, he’s run into a brick wall every year even with the advantages NIL should give the Huskies. And it’s hard to see him winning this year.

Cappy, If ever a thread has run it’s course, this is it.
No it hasn’t. This has turned into a rigorous debate for those of us who can stay on topic.

I would love to have a Caitlin type player off our bench right now to provide easy 3s with Berry sadly out for a season.

She’s not quick enough and not fast enough to get a shot off. She’s listed at 6 feet 154 and she isn’t fast. Her release is relatively slow. She’d get bodied.

She’s not quick enough and not fast enough to get a shot off. She’s listed at 6 feet 154 and she isn’t fast. Her release is relatively slow. She’d get bodied.
She has demonstrated the ability to catch and shoot effectively. She doesn’t have to be fast, just open. It’s pretty easy to run plays that get a (corner) shooter wide open. Variations on that play are a staple of so many teams.

Juice was something like 5’8” in the real world. He didn’t have a terrible time with the catch and shoot. 6’ isn’t too short for college.

She’s light and won’t have the muscle to body anyone, and I agree she’d get fouled a lot by aggressive guards used to more resistance. But I don’t think she sucks from the FT line, so that works.

I believe she would be fine offensively as a shooting guard. Probably not a starter. Probably not in a power conference. But there are a lot of terrible D1 teams with shallow benches that could use her offense. Her defense would be seriously sub par.

Again, that does assume she could modify her shot to be as effective with the bigger basketball.

She has demonstrated the ability to catch and shoot effectively. She doesn’t have to be fast, just open. It’s pretty easy to run plays that get a (corner) shooter wide open. Variations on that play are a staple of so many teams.

Juice was something like 5’8” in the real world. He didn’t have a terrible time with the catch and shoot. 6’ isn’t too short for college.

She’s light and won’t have the muscle to body anyone, and I agree she’d get fouled a lot by aggressive guards used to more resistance. But I don’t think she sucks from the FT line, so that works.

I believe she would be fine offensively as a shooting guard. Probably not a starter. Probably not in a power conference. But there are a lot of terrible D1 teams with shallow benches that could use her offense. Her defense would be seriously sub par.

Again, that does assume she could modify her shot to be as effective with the bigger basketball.
This is in line with my thinking too.

Notice that I didn’t say give Dina Taurasi a shot at the NBA or Big Ten. I think a female point guard would have a lot of difficulty getting the ball up the court against an Ace Baldwin Junior or a lesser Big Ten point guard (even Boo was working harder than usual against PSU).

But a spot up high volume 3 point shooting guard? Whom we could cover for defensively with Barnhizer, Clayton, Nicholson, and Martinelli with Berry out (just speaking to our current roster). That could work.

Again, I think of Steph Curry. He’s probably my favorite NBA player for a franchise I haven’t rooted for over the past 15 years. But without four other plus NBA defenders on the floor he struggles to win, and without his 3 point shot he’d likely not have any NBA titles or MVPs. Food for thought.

• Haha
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT