ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Notes

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
First, the QBs -

Day 1 - seems like both TS and CT weren't accurate; no details on Trevor but Clayton missed on a deep throw to an open receiver.

Day 2 - Trevor rebounded w/ an accurate day of work; comment about CT was him following in the footsteps of fellow rookie QB Daniel Jones in throwing to the sideline w/ no receiver in the area (no indication if the miscommunication was on the QB or the receiver).

Day 3 - Some good stuff from TS (nice back-shoulder pass), but also threw a pick; no info. on CT.

Day 4 - No info. on TS.

• Clayton Thorson has NOT had an encouraging offseason. The rookie quarterback has really struggled at times. Two of his throws towards the sideline today were way overthrown and out bounds. One of his deep attempts over the middle of the field was essentially an arm punt that hung in the air for way too long. A lot of Thorson’s throws wobble in the air as opposed to looking like a crisp spiral.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...an-jackson-philadelphia-news-fantasy-football

What will really matter is how CT plays in the pre-season games.

A good indicator of whether a rookie QB has what it takes to be at least a good back-up in the NFL is if he shows some stuff going against the 3rd and 4th string (who are still better, on avg. as a group, than the players they had faced in college).

Danny Vitale, fullback
“The muscle man has done a nice job, hasn’t he?” That was Hackett talking about Vitale (and officially acknowledging one of the better nicknames on the team). The fullback position appears to be an important one for Matt LaFleur, whose mentor Kyle Shanahan tends to feature the position pretty prominently. That has led to myriad opportunities for Vitale, which range from aligning as a traditional lead blocker to lining up split wide and everything in between.

For the six-foot, 239-pound Vitale, it is important to remember that he was a versatile receiving weapon in college at Northwestern, playing a hybrid tight end/fullback/H-back role. To that end, he recorded at least 28 receptions, 288 yards, and better than a 10-yard-per-reception average in each of his four seasons.

Vitale has made a handful of nice catches throughout the first few practices, including on Aaron Rodgers’ first completion of the summer on Thursday. If he sustains this level of play, he should continue to get lots of opportunities through the rest of camp to create mismatches and solidify his spot on the 53-man roster.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-training-camp-2019/2019/7/29/8935066/four-players-trending-up-packers-first-four-training-camp-practices-2019-adams-greene-tonyan-vitale

Haven't seen much on JJtBC, but apparently he and Ekeler are splitting reps as Gordon's hold-out continues.

Adam Schefter was on a sports talk show where they were talking about the Chargers RB situation and was adamant that it was going to be Justin as the lead back (and not Ekeler) if the Chargers start the season w/o Gordon.

If Gordon's hold-out continues into the season, would be a great opportunity for Justin, but at the same time, hope Gordon eventually rejoins the team or they go more RB by committee.

Don't want too much tread on the tires worn off before Justin is up for his 2nd contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Speaking of JJtBC, here's a nice roto feature on Justin as a sleeper pick.

https://www.rotoviz.com/2019/07/the...-james-conner-chimera-in-this-trendy-sleeper/

The McCaffrey Connection
While athleticism isn’t as important as production in projecting the WR position to the NFL, the two elements go hand-in-hand for RBs. Being an elite NFL ball carrier is all about explosion and agility.

If we wanted to find the next McCaffrey – or a discount McCaffrey to add to the end of our benches – we might go to the Combine Explorer and look for the closest physical comps.

McCaffrey’s closest comp is Wendell Smallwood,1 but Justin Jackson slides in at No. 2.

This obviously catches the eye with Melvin Gordon suddenly threatening a holdout. I was working on a Jackson blurb for the 2019 edition of my Top 10 Sleepers article, but the Gordon news sent Jackson’s ADP screaming into a different tier entirely. Curtis Patrick breaks down the fallout and how it affects the Chargers backfield situation. And I agree with his assessment that Fantasy Owners Aren’t Playing It Correctly.

But we can also see why drafters might be drawn to Jackson. When we jump over to Jackson’s combine page, we find that McCaffrey is also his second-closest athletic comp. The former Northwestern star’s 4.52 forty is only slightly above average, but his 38.5-inch vertical and 6.81 three-cone put him in the 90th percentile for both explosion and agility.

Btwn the combine and the draft, had noted the comp btwn Justin and McCaffrey - and when the Chargers got Justin where they did, stated that they got one heck of a bargain.

Reactions: Mossreportdos
Yeah, I keep looking for good Thorson reports but they are very few and far in between. A different source on yesterday's practice (sub required):
https://theathletic.com/1103916/201...wentz-desean-jackson-connection-looks-strong/

Over the course of the drill, there’s one winner and one loser. The winner is Nelson Agholor, who quickly creates space and cleanly plucks a few passes from Wentz in tight coverage. At one point, he puts a move on Maddox that would, if this were basketball, cause everyone to run on the court and make that face like when you pretend you just bit into a lemon.

The loser is rookie quarterback Clayton Thorson, who uncorks the worst throw I think I’ve ever seen in 10 years of training camp practices. Charles Johnson ran a fly route down the left sideline and Thorson threw the ball what had to be 15 yards out of bounds. Johnson would have needed an 80-foot vertical jump to make the play. In Thorson’s defense, he’s still trying to learn these receivers. And as a wise man said, he put it where only his guy could get it. Thorson looked sloppy throughout the rest of the drill, with stand-still feet while he waited for receivers to get open.
Later on at the end:

Thorson, to his credit, makes a nice throw of 15 yards or so to Carlton Agudosi. Practice ends, as it should, with a 5-or-so-yard completion from Thorson to Will Tye.
Doesn't seem like Godwin is getting much action at all for the Eagles.

The loser is rookie quarterback Clayton Thorson, who uncorks the worst throw I think I’ve ever seen in 10 years of training camp practices.

A rook makes a bad pass and this mofo has a seizure. Here's hoping he's on hand when CT has a great day.

Reactions: JournCat
Today's notes, featuring a bit of Godwin and more Thorson struggles:
https://theathletic.com/1106392/201...ut-jeffrey-lurie-in-the-middle-of-the-action/

Wentz throws a dime to Ward with Godwin Igwebuike in coverage.

Igwebuike makes a nice pass break-up against Richard Rodgers.

Oh my. Clayton Thorson fakes a handoff to Boston Scott, who sneaks into the right flat uncovered. Thorson rolls right and fires the ball into the ground, yards shy of reaching even Scott’s feet. Not the worst throw I’ve seen in the two days of camp, but probably the second-worst.

We close with a few snaps for the 3s. Igwebuike nearly picks off Thorson before practice ends on a play blown up by the defensive line.​

Seems like Clayton is going to have a tough time making the team.

I appreciate what Clayton did here and he was a 4 year starter for a reason and still think he has all the physical gifts, but he really isn't quite as polished and good as some people thought. His numbers played that out and it seems like some of the things we saw on gameday are showing right now. It's not the measurables, it's more the "IT" factor that players not as gifted physically like Drew Brees and Joe Montana had in spades. CT just doesn't have it consistently, though there are flashes (e.g. Nebraska drive). I hope I'm wrong and he makes it, but I really am inclined to agree with your observation.

I know there are murmurs that HJ is overrated and that it's still a competition with TJ, but without nothing but hearsay and blind hope, I really expect a significant upgrade at the position this fall. The bar isn't quite as high as you would expect to have been set given all of CT's impressive accomplishments.

On Sirius/XM's Pro Football Focus broadcast this afternoon, JJ was labeled as a guy who will get significantly more playing time than expected, and that was assuming Melvin Gordon plays this season...

5. Clayton Thorson has his best day of camp

Clayton Thorson struggled mightily heading into Thursday’s practice. While he only made a handful of throws during the session, he impressed with limited snaps.

He connected with running back Corey Clement -- in his return to team drills -- and tight end Will Tye for touchdowns during red zone 7-on-7 work. The throw to Thorson was a perfectly timed pass in the flat. The strike to Tye was in the corner of the end zone.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
There is really a defensive lineman named “Dee Liner”?
The really clever ones pair up:

6a00d8341c730253ef00e54f3b5f678834-640wi.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016-09-02_at_12.35.31_PM.0.png

marshall-coke-head-football-players-comedy-pic.0.jpg

goodfortune.png

jerseyjuxtaposition-1600.jpg

fishfry.jpg

gLg4TVG.jpg

But the baseball players do it best:
konerko-getz-kuntz.jpg

The really clever ones pair up:

6a00d8341c730253ef00e54f3b5f678834-640wi.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016-09-02_at_12.35.31_PM.0.png

marshall-coke-head-football-players-comedy-pic.0.jpg

goodfortune.png

jerseyjuxtaposition-1600.jpg

fishfry.jpg

gLg4TVG.jpg

But the baseball players do it best:
konerko-getz-kuntz.jpg

Hilarious.

Who on the current Cats roster would you get a kick out of seeing standing next to each other?

Nike Urban and Jessie Meyler
Ethan Wiederkehr and Zachary Franks
Rod Heard and Donovan Sermons
Jared Thomas and JJ Jefferson

Reactions: NU Houston
Reactions: zbag51
Jets vs Giants on NFL network tonight, followed by the Chargers, so we have a chance to watch some NFL Cats in action.

I think Carr will get a real chance to play this year. The Saints released Cam Meredith and just made Michael Thomas the highest paid WR in the league. Salary cap constraints will force the Saints to find cheap/young alternatives at the other WR positions. Carr is perfectly positioned.
He would start and get 1,200 yards at New England in an offense that spends most of its money on the OL and QB.

Reactions: cat inkansas
I think Carr will get a real chance to play this year. The Saints released Cam Meredith and just made Michael Thomas the highest paid WR in the league. Salary cap constraints will force the Saints to find cheap/young alternatives at the other WR positions. Carr is perfectly positioned.
I think Carr is a special kind of human being. He seems to be able to make himself into what ever he wants at a high level of excellence. Music, sports, what ever. It doesn't happen over night but his progression from walk on, to starter, to featured WR at NU and then from free agent, to sometimes used, to possible NFL starter. It is like he knows how to will himself to a level of excellence.

Thanks for sending this btw. Nice to see some good news to offset the mostly negative reports on his play thus far. His performance in the preseason games themselves will be crucial, so here's hoping he uses this to turn his pre-season around.
Yeah, I really hope he can do well in these preseason games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT