ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone tell me what Gaziano did to draw the unnecessary roughness flag?

DarthCat

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
Failed to record the game and being there, completely missed what the justification for the call was when Godwin returned the fumble. Insights?

Tough to see on television. What was shown didn't appear to amount to much...I'm guessing there might have ben some retaliation the cameras didn't catch. Classic case of the second guy got flagged.

Wasn't visible on TV. I hope he got benched for it because it directly took a TD off the board as well as a ton of momentum. We did fine after that but in a close game it could have been the difference the other way.

Actually we scored anyway a few plays later. I think it was JJ's longer TD run.

Failed to record the game and being there, completely missed what the justification for the call was when Godwin returned the fumble. Insights?
In the stands and on the "big board" it appeared that he grabbed the face mask and pulled the opposing player down ,way behind the play and completely unnecessary. However, it was seen and flagged. But...did you watch Godwin pull away from the defenders?? He has always demonstrated his speed on filling the gap and hitting the runner hard with an instant stop. But this was running the other way. Like some of our other DB's they were outstanding offensive weapons in their high school life (think Campbell)

Really stupid on Gaziano's part. He just needed to wait 5 or 6 more seconds, then Godwin would have been in the end zone, and then he could ripped the guy's helmet off or whatever, and it would have just been 15 yards on the kickoff.

Really stupid on Gaziano's part. He just needed to wait 5 or 6 more seconds, then Godwin would have been in the end zone, and then he could ripped the guy's helmet off or whatever, and it would have just been 15 yards on the kickoff.

In hindsight, the penalty helped the Cats. They we at the end of a long drive by the Illini and NU's defense would have gone right back on the field. The Cats went on a decent drive for a TD, giving the defense rest.

Reactions: julescat
Something really must have set Gaz off for him to do that. The Cats so rarely loose their cool. It's an exception to see us draw a personal foul. I watched CU vs. Utah last night, and it seemed like there were half a dozen PF calls. I think ND and SC racked up a few too.

Something really must have set Gaz off for him to do that. The Cats so rarely loose their cool. It's an exception to see us draw a personal foul. I watched CU vs. Utah last night, and it seemed like there were half a dozen PF calls. I think ND and SC racked up a few too.

ND deserved more than personal fouls, with their play yesterday. A serious helmet to helmet, followed by a D Lineman stepping on two injured SC players. Kelly should be fired.

ND deserved more than personal fouls, with their play yesterday. A serious helmet to helmet, followed by a D Lineman stepping on two injured SC players. Kelly should be fired.
I saw that too and my ND alumni friends were just as mortified.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT