ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone else take the last shot?

Mr Wickerpark

Dec 28, 2016
How many times do we gotta end regulation with turnovers and missed shots by the same player? Bmac is our best player but he isnt demps.

Collins is better for the program than bc but bc would always have a great play off a to.
Collins has been just isolating bmac and spreading the offense across instead of any play or called shot outside of bmac. Law anyone?

Other than Isiah Brown, no other player can advance the ball off the dribble except for BMac. Combine ball handling and creating a shot off the dribble, you're really left with just Bryan and Isiah, then a huge gap until you get to Scotty and Vic.

Putting Scotty or Vic at the top with the ball increases the chances of an unforced error before you get the shot off.

Other than Isiah Brown, no other player can advance the ball off the dribble except for BMac. Combine ball handling and creating a shot off the dribble, you're really left with just Bryan and Isiah, then a huge gap until you get to Scotty and Vic.

Putting Scotty or Vic at the top with the ball increases the chances of an unforced error before you get the shot off.

Agree.

What you've seen the last several games is the culmination of lots of small flaws

- a team with one player with an above average handle and a comfort driving the lane
- a team where the support players are either exhausted from all out defense (eg: Law) or don't move well without the ball
- a team that has suffered from a terrible cold streak shooting from outside

Getting Brown back helps significantly with #1, but that still means we only really have 2 confortable players that can ISO. I think SL can against the right players but his is very long and quick quards have easily disrupted his dribble when he tries to drive 1 on 1.

Movement without the ball can help this team, because right now it is too easily scouted and defended. BMac drive the baseline and the opposite shooter is always covered and everyone else is standing around, no other cutters to the basket or to an open space. Ultimately this is team chemistry and should improve with time.

And hopefully the shooting improves over the season...

At any rate, the effort and intensity these past 2 games are notably improved - and the team will continue to work and grind this season to put a better product on the court....

Reactions: Katatonic
I'll take that wide open 3 that BMac had every day and twice on Sundays. You do realize that, without him there would have been no Dance last year, correct? Nobody feels worse about missing that shot than him.

That does not mean he has to be the one taking the shot. In this case, I would have liked to see a pass to Law but perhaps he was well covered and in any event he was wide open. But that was just to tie. IMO the game was lost on the turnover a possession or two before.

That does not mean he has to be the one taking the shot. In this case, I would have liked to see a pass to Law but perhaps he was well covered and in any event he was wide open. But that was just to tie. IMO the game was lost on the turnover a possession or two before.

I guess the way that I'd respond to you and Mike Webb is that the end of game issue is a team issue, not a player issue. On iso against Illinois, BMac drove and his own teammates took away his space and brought defenders to him.

As a team they haven't figured it out. At some point I'd like to hear CCC talk about it because it's not clear why it seems to never work. I'd take 50% but I think NU falls far short of that.

I guess the way that I'd respond to you and Mike Webb is that the end of game issue is a team issue, not a player issue. On iso against Illinois, BMac drove and his own teammates took away his space and brought defenders to him.

As a team they haven't figured it out. At some point I'd like to hear CCC talk about it because it's not clear why it seems to never work. I'd take 50% but I think NU falls far short of that.

So here's the thing, it doesn't work because they stop running the offense and BMAC goes one on four (its unfair to him too). They tried that once at Purdue but ran the offense on the next possession. Here's my thing, I want them to run the offense because it gets open shots, especially 3s. Making them this year (Skelly and the 6 or straight misses against Illinois) has been another story.

Have had issues with BMac's shot selection at times - waiting for the shot clock to wind down and then throwing up a wild/difficult shot is what many of us used to get on Demps about; and Demps kinda outgrew that and/or made some of them in the latter half of his career.

Thought BMac would have outgrown this by now, so its continuation is certainly frustrating (some of the blame can go to the playcalling or lack thereof).

However, have zero issue with BMac taking that 3 at the end; he was wide open and just missed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT