ADVERTISEMENT

Can the U of Michigan sustain the financial loss of no football this season?

Titanium999

Jan 16, 2014
I wonder what kind of financial loss having no fans an no football for Michigan this year. Likely,they would have 100,000 fans. Unless they sit six feet apart,I'm not sure I see a viable solution. That has to be a 100 million dollar loss this year. Whatcha think?

I was just searching on the web. Looks like a 125 million dollar loss,if no season. A bigger issue, would be if the school goes to online classes. Why not just do those at a local school,for a lot less. With 40,000 plus tuition paying students. That is a boatload of cash.

Michigan might have to relent and allow sponsorships in the stadium.

I think enrollment would be fine for awhile if it went to online classes because of the school's cache.

Reactions: Titanium999
Michigan might have to relent and allow sponsorships in the stadium.

I think enrollment would be fine for awhile if it went to online classes because of the school's cache.
As one who's son is a student at U of M, I know he has no plans of dropping out anytime soon.

I am guessing that the financial model for survival will be different for each school.....I was thinking that if they do the games with no fans and stay at home is still in effect in some way...that viewership will be up and the cost of commercials up???? I was also thinking fans are going to be asked to put money up to keep athletic programs going?

I am guessing that the financial model for survival will be different for each school.....I was thinking that if they do the games with no fans and stay at home is still in effect in some way...that viewership will be up and the cost of commercials up???? I was also thinking fans are going to be asked to put money up to keep athletic programs going?
Probably the biggest financial loser is the high school across the street from the stadium that sells parking spaces for $50 and has several thousands of cars parking there for each home game. It has to be a big part of their budget.

The loss would/will undoubtedly hurt, but with their endowment ( much larger than NU’s ), they will be just fine.

Don't believe this is true, or really relevant here
Will Trump bail out colleges with a sports stimulus package based on all the financial loss/and so workers will still get paid?? Weirder things have happened. Harvard just got 10 million for their coffers. This is probably material for the rant board, but I don't really engage with those threads.

Michigan has a larger overall endowment, but not on a per student basis.

Using that measure (the only one that really matters) Northwestern has the 23rd largest endowment in the country at about $550K per student. Michigan is not even in the top 100.

Princeton has the largest by the way at over $3.5MM per student. Yale is second and Harvard is third. To be fair those schools have been building their endowments for a long time.

In any case I don't think any big ten school puts their game revenue into their general fund nor do they use endowment proceeds to prop up athletic losses. Their athletic department will just need to manage it somehow.

Using that measure (the only one that really matters) Northwestern has the 23rd largest endowment in the country at about $550K per student. Michigan is not even in the top 100.

Princeton has the largest by the way at over $3.5MM per student. Yale is second and Harvard is third. To be fair those schools have been building their endowments for a long time.

In any case I don't think any big ten school puts their game revenue into their general fund nor do they use endowment proceeds to prop up athletic losses. Their athletic department will just need to manage it somehow.
It is interesting that the size of schools' endowments nearly parallel their academic ranking. The best schools also tend to have smaller student bodies.

Hard to do! Hope they don’t mess with wrestling! I’m addicted to Northwestern wrestling!

I was just reading about a doctor, former NCAA champ in wrestling, who got coved 19! Guy is only 48 and it kicked his butt for three weeks! I’m quite concerned! I love my college football in the fall! We need a cure soon! I hate to say this, but I don’t see any real answers! If we shut down the economy,like we are doing, for the next six months, it will be Armageddon for everyone! Not just Northwestern! I think we won’t know until we can ascertain for sure, the true impact, physically, of the virus! In other words, how lethal it really is! I really have no idea myself, so I can’t say as far as the virus! Economically, we are going to be in dire straights if we proceed on this current path for 6-12 more months. It may come down to a sink or swim mentality. Fo us older folks, me included, that is not a good thing. I think I am in good health at 58. But it appears, younger and healthier people who catch this virus are suffering pretty bad. We need more information for sure.

I do have an app coming out in a few weeks that can help those suffering with covid-19 to monitor their emotions, ie, physical pain. The app is in the final stages of design. Coincidentally, it is also the most effective sports psychology app available in the world. Here is a link to my work for those suffering physical pain such as covid-19.

http://medcraveonline.com/IPMRJ/IPMRJ-03-00120.pdf

I do have an app coming out in a few weeks that can help those suffering with covid-19 to monitor their emotions, ie, physical pain. The app is in the final stages of design. Coincidentally, it is also the most effective sports psychology app available in the world. Here is a link to my work for those suffering physical pain such as covid-19.

http://medcraveonline.com/IPMRJ/IPMRJ-03-00120.pdf

Who's having trouble feeling physical pain other than the dead?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT