ADVERTISEMENT

Cats/Bucks in light of the Illini game

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
I purposely did not want to even think of the upcoming B1G championship game prior to yesterday’s both for superstitious and emotional reasons. If I had started to think about OSU and then had the Cats lose to the formerly Fightin’ Lovie’s, my despair would have swamped the holidays, and I fear I would have ended up on trial as a jinx in a Dr. Pepper commercial.

Yesterday’s win was encouraging relative to next Saturday’s game. Before the game yesterday, the disappearance of a running game had reduced my hope of an upset to infinitesimal. After yesterday’s game, I think the chance of the Cat’s winning improved to slight, and of competing, the improvement is to good.

In light of the Illinois’ defense short handed presence, I don’t think the performance of Porter and Hull represent a new emergence of thunder and lightning, but what I saw of Porter particularly made me think the Cats’ chances took a big upward boost.

OSU has a great offense. The fewest points they have put up this year is 38, while the Cats have scored more than 38 only once. They are scoring on more than half of their possessions, and an NU team that cannot reduce the number of chances they get to score has almost no possibility to spring an upset at all. Two things about Porter yesterday worked to improve the chances for the Cats mounting drives and reducing the number of possessions OSU gets. The first is that he seems strong enough to get a yard or two after first contact. And the second is that he seemed a step quicker than Bowser to get to the point of attack. The net result of this is that attempts where the Cats have been getting no gain or a yard are like left to get two to three. The quicker step also allowed the Cats to make the point of attack the tackle/tight end gap, where the Cats are a little stronger than straight up the middle runs. With Raine healthy, Ramsey has been very good at converting third and 3 to 5, and positive runs on 1st and second set the table for 3rd and less than 5. If the expected betting line was OSU -20 before the Illinois game, that is, an expected score of about 40-20, an improvement in the Cats ability to run the ball both increases the Cats’ chances to score and reduces OSU possessions, and hence probable scoring. Let’s say for argument’s sake that it reduces the 20 point spread by giving the Cats a FG more and OSU a FG less, or sets the difference to 14 or 15.
This is still a very large gap to overcome, and I expect the Cats to lose. Per my quick perusal of betting sites, a 14 point underdog wins about 1 in 7 times, which seems plausible to me. It would also mean that the Cats would have about a 50/50 shot at holding the final to 2 scores or less. I do think there are two strong central points: OSU has scored at least 38 points in every game it has played, and so even if the Cats’ defense is the best they have faced, they are likely to score north of 5 TDS, and on the other hand, the Cats and Ramsey have been able to grind out at least 3 long drives in every game they have played, and it is unlikely that a good but not perfect OSU defense will hold NU under 20 if NU has a modicum of a run game.

Assuming the 14 point expected differential ( a pretty big assumption), I do think there are plausible ways for the Cats to make up two touchdowns. The obvious is that Fields is capable of trying to force the ball, and the Cats’ back seven have been very good at disguising coverage, reducing throwing windows, and breaking on the ball. Mistakes on the order of the Indiana game, while unlikely, are not impossible. The second thing that could give the Cats an “extra” score and close the gap is one or two successful gimmick plays. OSU has a physically talented, aggressive, but relatively inexperienced defense. Bajakian has shown a few well designed gimmick plays that have found success, most notably passes by Riley Lees off the end around (2-2). I will be shocked if that play is not tried. I also really believe that part of using the wildcat with Ramsey split on Saturday was a setup to have Porter pass backward to Ramsey on a third and short sometime against OSU, giving Ramsey the option to throw deep or try to run if the safety doesn’t bite.

The long and short of it all is that NU is a good enough team to give OSU a game, that OSU is capable of making some mistakes, and that the Cats have little to lose and can take some chances. All of that makes an upset, though unlikely, not implausible.

Here’s hoping the Cats play to the best of their ability, and that the ball bounces their way.

Last edited:
I purposely did not want to even think of the upcoming B1G championship game prior to yesterday’s both for superstitious and emotional reasons. If I had started to think about OSU and then had the Cats lose to the formerly Fightin’ Lovie’s, my despair would have swamped the holidays, and I fear I would have ended up on trial as a jinx in a Dr. Pepper commercial.

Yesterday’s win was encouraging relative to next Saturday’s game. Before the game yesterday, the disappearance of a running game had reduced my hope of an upset to infinitesimal. After yesterday’s game, I think the chance of the Cat’s winning improved to slight, and of competing, the improvement is to good.

In light of the Illinois’ defense short handed presence, I don’t think the performance of Porter and Hull represent a new emergence of thunder and lightning, but what I saw of Porter particularly made me think the Cats’ chances took a big upward boost.

OSU has a great offense. The fewest points they have put up this year is 38, while the Cats have scored more than 38 only once. They are scoring on more than half of their possessions, and an NU team that cannot reduce the number of chances they get to score has almost no possibility to spring an upset at all. Two things about Porter yesterday worked to improve the chances for the Cats mounting drives and reducing the number of possessions OSU gets. The first is that he seems strong enough to get a yard or two after first contact. And the second is that he seemed a step quicker than Bowser to get to the point of attack. The net result of this is that attempts where the Cats have been getting no gain or a yard are like left to get two to three. The quicker step also allowed the Cats to make the point of attack the tackle/tight end gap, where the Cats are a little stronger than straight up the middle runs. With Raine healthy, Ramsey has been very good at converting third and 3 to 5, and positive runs on 1st and second set the table for 3rd and less than 5. If the expected betting line was OSU -20 before the Illinois game, that is, an expected score of about 40-20, an improvement in the Cats ability to run the ball both increases the Cats’ chances to score and reduces OSU possessions, and hence probable scoring. Let’s say for argument’s sake that it reduces the 20 point spread by giving the Cats a FG more and OSU a FG less, or sets the difference to 14 or 15.
This is still a very large gap to overcome, and I expect the Cats to lose. Per my quick perusal of betting sites, a 14 point underdog wins about 1 in 7 times, which seems plausible to me. It would also mean that the Cats would have about a 50/50 shot at holding the final to 2 scores or less. I do think there are two strong central points: OSU has scored at least 38 points in every game it has played, and so even if the Cats’ defense is the best they have faced, they are likely to score north of 5 TDS, and on the other hand, the Cats and Ramsey have been able to grind out at least 3 long drives in every game they have played, and it is unlikely that a good but not perfect OSU defense will hold NU under 20 if NU has a modicum of a run game.

Assuming the 14 point expected differential ( a pretty big assumption), I do think there are plausible ways for the Cats to make up two touchdowns. The obvious is that Fields is capable of trying to force the ball, and the Cats’ back seven have been very good at disguising coverage, reducing throwing windows, and breaking on the ball. Mistakes on the orderthe Indiana game, while unlikely, are not impossible. The second thing that could give the Cats an “extra” score and close the gap is one or two successful gimmick plays. OSU has a physically talented, aggressive, but relatively inexperienced defense. Bajakian has shown a few well designed gimmick plays that have found success, most notably passes by Riley Lees off the end around (2-2). I will be shocked if that play is not tried. I also really believe that part of using the wildcat with Ramsey split on Saturday was a setup to have Porter pass backward to Ramsey on a third and short sometime against OSU, giving Ramsey the option to throw deep or try to run if the Sa retry doesn’t bite.

The long and short of it all is that NU is a good enough team to give OSU a game, that OSU is capable of making some mistakes, and that the Cats have little to lose and can take some chances. All of that makes an upset, though unlikely, not implausible.

Here’s hoping the Cats play to the best of their ability, and that the ball bounces their way.

I agree with this. I think our chances to stay within striking distance at the end are better than what most people think. This OSU team is not as good as the team we lost to in 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat

Assuming the 14 point expected differential ( a pretty big assumption), I do think there are plausible ways for the Cats to make up two touchdowns. The obvious is that Fields is capable of trying to force the ball, and the Cats’ back seven have been very good at disguising coverage, reducing throwing windows, and breaking on the ball. Mistakes on the order of the Indiana game, while unlikely, are not impossible. The second thing that could give the Cats an “extra” score and close the gap is one or two successful gimmick plays. OSU has a physically talented, aggressive, but relatively inexperienced defense. Bajakian has shown a few well designed gimmick plays that have found success, most notably passes by Riley Lees off the end around (2-2). I will be shocked if that play is not tried. I also really believe that part of using the wildcat with Ramsey split on Saturday was a setup to have Porter pass backward to Ramsey on a third and short sometime against OSU, giving Ramsey the option to throw deep or try to run if the safety doesn’t bite.

Where’s your commentary on the NU defense? You know, the one giving up the 2nd fewest amount of points per game in the country. Maybe, just maybe, OSU doesn’t score north of five touchdowns against NU. Has that been considered in your “analysis”?

It all comes down to containing the QB scramble. From what I have seen, this year’s Buckeye squad can be undisciplined, and find themselves behind the chains, more than in past seasons.

But Fields is so good at making something spectacular out of nothing with his running game. He bails the team out for their lack of discipline.

Can the Cats defend the formidable OSU offense while not leaving vast daylight for Fields to scamper through (for backbreaking third and seventeen conversions?)

Where’s your commentary on the NU defense? You know, the one giving up the 2nd fewest amount of points per game in the country. Maybe, just maybe, OSU doesn’t score north of five touchdowns against NU. Has that been considered in your “analysis”?

I suggested that OSU would score, all things being equal, 37 points (40 less a field goal), fewer than they have scored this year. I also suggested that OSU could turn the ball over, reducing their output a little more. Both of those reflect the idea that the Cats have a good defense. The main point I was making was that the offense looked better on Saturday, boosting the Cats chances. The defense was its usual very good self.

If I was to do a full analysis, one thing I would bring up as a negative is that OSU is really able to make big plays deep in the passing game and the one clear vulnerability on the defensive side of the ball for the Cats has been that they have been beaten deep a few times, particularly Ruiz. I am assuming he will not be starting, but cornerbacks not named Newsome are a little suspect and will be tested. I hope the skill of the defense frustrates Fields, but he is a terrific player and would not bet on it.

Reactions: rmndcat
If OSU scores five TDs (plus a FG or two) on Saturday, then the Cats have little to no chance of winning. NU's strength on D is in the red zone. OSU will move the ball on offense, but holding them to FGs instead of TDs will be a key to staying in the game.

I suggested that OSU would score, all things being equal, 37 points (40 less a field goal), fewer than they have scored this year. I also suggested that OSU could turn the ball over, reducing their output a little more. Both of those reflect the idea that the Cats have a good defense. The main point I was making was that the offense looked better on Saturday, boosting the Cats chances. The defense was its usual very good self.

If I was to do a full analysis, one thing I would bring up as a negative is that OSU is really able to make big plays deep in the passing game and the one clear vulnerability on the defensive side of the ball for the Cats has been that they have been beaten deep a few times, particularly Ruiz. I am assuming he will not be starting, but cornerbacks not named Newsome are a little suspect and will be tested. I hope the skill of the defense frustrates Fields, but he is a terrific player and would not bet on it.
I didn't see Ruiz on the field on defense at all against Illinois. Hampton and Mitchell were the CBs opposite Newsome. Not to be too hard on Ruiz, but a CB giving up big plays against OSU (or even Michigan State) can put NU too deep in the hole. The Cats can't afford to give up easy TDs on Saturday.

Reactions: DaCat
I am more optimistic than I was before Illinois precisely because of Porter. He has quick feet and even threw in a spin move, so I appreciate your analysis of the offense. My number one concern for our offense is Ramsey floating a pass to the sideline that OSU takes to the house. We'll probably have a turnover or two, but they cannot go for scores the other way.

Defensively, it is time for the sky team to put up or shut up. The non-Newsome side cannot be beat over the top. So if Fields wants to throw 12 yard out routes to that side of the field, fine. Can he then punch it in the red zone? Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

Newsome just needs to blanket Olave. I almost want him to get called for 1 holding and 1 DPI. Keep talking. The sky team needs to do everything they can to get in their heads. I think we have the ability to get into the opposing team's heads. How many times have you seen a close up of an opposing receiver who just dropped a ball, and all four DBs are around him laughing as he runs to his sideline? So mock them like hell for being five stars any time you make a play.

Finally, I like your 14-14.5 line, because that's what Rams-Patriots in 2001(2) was, and that's what I feel this game needs to be for us to win. Great secondary (or we will find out) going against a high flying offense. Our offense struggles, but Ramsey is never flustered, and poised when it counts. Take away the pass and dare them to run. The Rams didn't take what the Pats gave them, and it may take a while for the Buckeyes who want to win by 50 to catch on that they might lose the game. Day in his presser said he stressed that they need to win every play, and not worry about the big picture. But we'll see if they're able to do that. A lot of questions to Fields about winning the Heisman, too.

TLDR: I like our chances. We win football games. Let it fly and cut it loose.

What? I thoughT RCB was in the game yesterday, just not really targeted. Did I miss something? If our top WR is out that’s not a good start...
I missed the game and only saw the stats. (not surprising he wasn't targeted given our running attack against the Fighting Ex-Lovies; just wanted to confirm he is fine for OSU). And, I had not read anything about Holman in the last few days.

I missed the game and only saw the stats. (not surprising he wasn't targeted given our running attack against the Fighting Ex-Lovies; just wanted to confirm he is fine for OSU). And, I had not read anything about Holman in the last few days.
RCB played and should be fine. Holman was on the inactive list. He had that scary head injury in the MSU game, so who knows what his status will be going forward.

Reactions: AtlantaCat
I am more optimistic than I was before Illinois precisely because of Porter. He has quick feet and even threw in a spin move, so I appreciate your analysis of the offense. My number one concern for our offense is Ramsey floating a pass to the sideline that OSU takes to the house. We'll probably have a turnover or two, but they cannot go for scores the other way.

Defensively, it is time for the sky team to put up or shut up. The non-Newsome side cannot be beat over the top. So if Fields wants to throw 12 yard out routes to that side of the field, fine. Can he then punch it in the red zone? Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

Newsome just needs to blanket Olave. I almost want him to get called for 1 holding and 1 DPI. Keep talking. The sky team needs to do everything they can to get in their heads. I think we have the ability to get into the opposing team's heads. How many times have you seen a close up of an opposing receiver who just dropped a ball, and all four DBs are around him laughing as he runs to his sideline? So mock them like hell for being five stars any time you make a play.

Finally, I like your 14-14.5 line, because that's what Rams-Patriots in 2001(2) was, and that's what I feel this game needs to be for us to win. Great secondary (or we will find out) going against a high flying offense. Our offense struggles, but Ramsey is never flustered, and poised when it counts. Take away the pass and dare them to run. The Rams didn't take what the Pats gave them, and it may take a while for the Buckeyes who want to win by 50 to catch on that they might lose the game. Day in his presser said he stressed that they need to win every play, and not worry about the big picture. But we'll see if they're able to do that. A lot of questions to Fields about winning the Heisman, too.

TLDR: I like our chances. We win football games. Let it fly and cut it loose.
Where is this 14.5 line coming from? I see 20.5.

Garrett Wilson is OSU’s best receiver. Olave is a stud too, but I would expect to see Newsome with a Wilson most of the time. Also, Newsome will be talking no matter what the outcome.

I did see RCB in the replay. We just didn’t pass all that much.
Holman should not play at least until the bowl game if that. Too much risk post concussion.

Reactions: AtlantaCat
Where is this 14.5 line coming from? I see 20.5.

Garrett Wilson is OSU’s best receiver. Olave is a stud too, but I would expect to see Newsome with a Wilson most of the time. Also, Newsome will be talking no matter what the outcome.

It was eastbaycat99's line. And fair enough on Wilson. It's hard for me to tell who is their best receiver.

I did see RCB in the replay. We just didn’t pass all that much.
Holman should not play at least until the bowl game if that. Too much risk post concussion.
I have some memory of there being a 10 day non contact concussion protocol. That would mean no practice until Wednesday or Thursday. Every case is different I suppose.

OSU wins are against teams giving up 19.4, 28.5, 30.6, 32.6, and 35.1 points a game. Are these elevated numbers because they played OSU or because they are less than stellar defenses? I look forward to seeing how our D holds up.

Reactions: drewjin
OSU wins are against teams giving up 19.4, 28.5, 30.6, 32.6, and 35.1 points a game. Are these elevated numbers because they played OSU or because they are less than stellar defenses? I look forward to seeing how our D holds up.

Well, with the Ohio State game removed, here they are (back of the napkin math):

Nebraska 25.6
Penn State: 27.1
Rutgers: 30.2
Indiana: 13.4
MSU: 32.3

So Indiana is almost exactly us without the Ohio State loss. Penix threw a pick six in the game, so if we can avoid that fate, you might say our default is 35. But, as usual, we'll see.

Reactions: NUThump and iskaboo
Our (OSU) D line and linebackers are the strength of our defense. NW will have to establish some sort of passing threat to keep OSU honest at the line of scrimmage. I'm sure Porter will get some yards running from the shotgun but I don't think it will be enough. The key will be whether Ramsey and the passing game can pose a threat to create a more balanced attack.

I keep reading on this board about containing Wilson and Olave. They are, no doubt, important pieces to our offense. We've been using our TEs more in the passing game than in past years. Jameson Williams, our other starting WR is actually faster than both Wilson and Olave.

Don't forget about our rushing attack. It averages over 250 yards per game. Teague and Sermon are big physical backs that can wear on a defense. Fields can take off at any time and break a 30 yard run. Hopefully our O_line we be intact after 3 starters missed the Michigan State game. I'm sure our coaches looked at the tape of the NW/Michigan State game to see what plays worked well against your D. I believe MSU ran for close to 200 yards in that game. Illinois has some success in the first half running the ball. Our offense is much more balanced than the 2018 team, especially with Fields being a dual threat.

I expect a hard fought game but I think our overall talent and our balanced offense will be too much for the Wildcats. We have to have a dominant win to be selected for the CFP.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Newsome just needs to blanket Olave.

Or Wilson. Newsome will need his best game to do it. Somehow NU must slow down the duh-OSU O which hasn't been slowed this season.

Good comments on Porter, who better get the start. Though he may be inexperienced picking up blocks at RB, he's big enough, and we've seen he can hit.

How good are the NU DBs? Those not named Newsome need to show their worth. If they can, NU could keep it close. If they can keep it close, IT COULD HAPPEN.

GO CATS!

Reactions: DaCat
I have no doubt that Newsome will do a tremendous job on whoever he covers. It's our CB2 that needs to have a career game, whether it's Mitchell or Hampton. Don't think we'll see Ruiz except for maybe blitz packages and on ST.

Our (OSU) D line and linebackers are the strength of our defense. NW will have to establish some sort of passing threat to keep OSU honest at the line of scrimmage. I'm sure Porter will get some yards running from the shotgun but I don't think it will be enough. The key will be whether Ramsey and the passing game can pose a threat to create a more balanced attack.

I keep reading on this board about containing Wilson and Olave. They are, no doubt, important pieces to our offense. We've been using our TEs more in the passing game than in past years. Jameson Williams, our other starting WR is actually faster than both Wilson and Olave.

Don't forget about our rushing attack. It averages over 250 yards per game. Teague and Sermon are big physical backs that can wear on a defense. Fields can take off at any time and break a 30 yard run. Hopefully our O_line we be intact after 3 starters missed the Michigan State game. I'm sure our coaches looked at the tape of the NW/Michigan State game to see what plays worked well against your D. I believe MSU ran for close to 200 yards in that game. Illinois has some success in the first half running the ball. Our offense is much more balanced than the 2018 team, especially with Fields being a dual threat.

I expect a hard fought game but I think our overall talent and our balanced offense will be too much for the Wildcats. We have to have a dominant win to be selected for the CFP.
Being faster than Wilson or Olave doesn’t make him better.

Relative to the Cats’ offense against the OSU defense, I think you are right about the strength of the linebackers, but have the implication backwards. If the Buck’s Dline can stuff the Cats’ running game consistently for no gain or a yard, the LBs are free to interfere with Ramsey’s strength, which is the short possession pass. On the other hand, if the LBs need to honor the run and hold a step on the play fake, Raine and RCB will do what they have done all year, finding holes underneath, and Ramsey in turn will reliably deliver the ball to them.

In every game this year the Cats have executed 3 long drives where they are in rhythm, mixing modest runs and short passes to move down the field. They need to do that against OSU on Saturday to have a chance. If they can, getting to a baseline of 17-21 points, they then need to get a couple of “unexpected” scores: a defensive touchdown, a successfully executed gimmick play, or a breakdown by the OSU secondary.

If the Cats tried to do what you suggest, which is set the tone by passing rather than setting a credible run/ball control threat, they will be beaten badly. They need to both force the linebackers to hold near the line and bleed clock on a few productive, long drives to have a chance.

I have some memory of there being a 10 day non contact concussion protocol. That would mean no practice until Wednesday or Thursday. Every case is different I suppose.

Wouldn’t that have been last Wednesday then? Since we had a break in between MSU and Illinois

OSU has more 5 star WRs sitting on the bench than 5 star players at other B1G schools.

OSU has more 5 star WRs sitting on the bench than 5 star players at other B1G schools.
Well good thing for us that stars don't score points. OSU pass catchers will need to run with their feet and catch with their hands in order to do that.

It's entirely possible they will (they certainly did nearly at will in 2018), but our secondary is much better than they were that year (or last year, when we were decimated by injuries). No question we will be seriously tested by OSU's offense and especially the passing game - we will see how we hold up against the challenge.

Probably because they have scored more than that against every other opponent

Well good thing for us that stars don't score points. OSU pass catchers will need to run with their feet and catch with their hands in order to do that.

It's entirely possible they will (they certainly did nearly at will in 2018), but our secondary is much better than they were that year (or last year, when we were decimated by injuries). No question we will be seriously tested by OSU's offense and especially the passing game - we will see how we hold up against the challenge.
If you have watched them at all, unfortunately they tend to do that

Shows what you know. I have from a very good source- my wife’s co-worker’s friend’s doctor’s dentist daughter’s plumber for Coach Day, told me OSU plans to open the game with Fields, a Center, one Running Back, and 8 receivers.
Haha. I hope for Hank’s chances of winning the Broyles Award that they do that. Little known fact is that only 5 of those 9 (WR +RB) are eligible! So we will have many a clean shot at Fields!!!

btw I might be in the market for a new dentist. Might you be able to refer me to your wife’s friend’s coworker’s doctor’s teeth person?

• Haha
Haha. I hope for Hank’s chances of winning the Broyles Award that they do that. Little known fact is that only 5 of those 9 (WR +RB) are eligible! So we will have many a clean shot at Fields!!!

btw I might be in the market for a new dentist. Might you be able to refer me to your wife’s friend’s coworker’s doctor’s teeth person?

But until they get into formation you don’t know which receivers will be eligible. That’s the genius of it. Lol

As far as the dentist, I’d find a different one. Too busy starting bad rumors about OSU football, not enough on his patient’s care.

Reactions: ricko654321
But until they get into formation you don’t know which receivers will be eligible. That’s the genius of it. Lol

As far as the dentist, I’d find a different one. Too busy starting bad rumors about OSU football, not enough on his patient’s care.
you continue to be the best OSU fan to post on this board. looking forward to Saturday's matchup. may the best team win. i love B1G college football, let's give the country a show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT