ADVERTISEMENT

'Cats in the NFL...

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
Unlike the past 2 yrs, not much on Siemian as per the norm for a back-up QB.

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2...rb-justin-jackson-could-be-a-sleeper-in-2018/

https://www.chargers.com/video/justin-jackson-1-on-1-166131

23. Dean Lowry DL

This is too high in my opinion. I didn’t have Lowry much lower and in retrospect, I should have. The combination of Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels and Muhammad Wilkerson form an indomitable front. Lowry is a luxury piece. He showed encouraging growth last season, particularly as a pass rusher, and he may end up being an useful sub-package rusher at times. But he’s a backup defensive lineman who might not even be the sixth or seventh best rusher on this roster. He’s a valuable player because he can play inside and outside and offers essential backup ability. He can give any player on this front a breather, which is useful positional versatility, but in terms of his impact on this roster, I’m not sure he belongs ahead of any of the players we’ve discussed on this list.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...ing-30-21-green-bays-youth-movement-is-served

Ifeadi Odenigbo, DE: Odenigbo was a seventh round pick last season that was a really intriguing pick. He has a good combination of size and speed, but he hurt his foot before training camp, and never really had a legit opportunity to showcase what he could do. He did enough to get to the practice squad, and if he can stay healthy, I think he can really push for a spot on the 53 man roster.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/7/23/17603118/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-roster-predictions

There are, of course, other 'Cats in the NFL - but these are the articles/videos that had come across.

^
The Vikes list him at 258 lbs.

Siemian called out by his OC.

The Vikings held their nightly team meeting on Monday when Vikings Offensive Coordinator John DeFilippo singled out Trevor Siemian in front of the entire team.

But it wasn’t in a negative manner, as DeFilippo was just putting the spotlight on the backup quarterback for all of the improvements he’s made over the past few months in Minnesota.

“I called out Trevor last night in the offensive meeting. I said this in front of the whole offense, that’s why I’m telling you,” DeFilippo said. “Trevor’s a guy that does simple better. He does simple better. I used an example, about Trevor, in front of the whole offense last night.

“He has a really simple thought process when he goes to the line of scrimmage,” DeFilippo added. “He doesn’t make it too hard. He doesn’t overthink. He gets the ball, he’ll check the ball down. If there’s a throw to be thrown down the field, he makes it.”

The Vikings acquired Siemian in mid-March in a trade with Denver, where the quarterback spent the first three seasons of his career.

Siemian appeared in 26 games with 24 starts and compiled a 13-11 record as a starter. He has thrown for 5,686 yards with 30 touchdowns in his career.

DeFilippo added that Siemian looks and feels more comfortable than he did during spring practices.

“Trevor is playing much, much faster now than when he was here [in the spring],” DeFilippo said. “We’ve really challenged him to speed up everything he does, and he’s accepted that challenge. He’s really done a nice job. I think you can see his play on the field these last few days has shown that.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/presser-points-defilippo-puts-spotlight-on-siemian-for-improved-play

Finally came across something on Carr.

Austin Carr
With the Saints signing Cameron Meredith in the offseason and then drafting UCF’s Tre-Quan Smith in the third round, presumably there’s only one spot up for grabs in the receiving corps. Michael Thomas is the unquestioned No. 1 option for the Saints, while Ted Ginn Jr. looks to continue proving that age is only a number. Assuming Smith is the real deal, catches on, and makes the plays (Spoiler alert: He is already), then that could make it interesting if New Orleans rolls with just five wide receivers.

Along with Austin Carr, Brandon Coleman (who starts training camp on the PUP list) and Tommylee Lewis lead the next tier of receivers vying for a roster spot. Of course, there are other guys on the roster looking to make their mark, and history has shown that the undrafted rookies have a spot on the Saints. Carr was originally claimed off waivers from the Patriots in early September of last season, and would remain on the team’s active roster throughout 2017, only being active in one regular season game. He also got the call for the playoff game we all would love to forget against the Vikings.

Head Coach Sean Payton was quick to point out his route running, hands, ability to catch in traffic, and the fact the team tracked him from his Northwestern days when he was originally claimed. Perhaps we get to see more of what Payton preached about during training camp.

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...arthur-maulet-john-fullington-mitchell-loewen

Not sure if this means/says anything, but the Saints just brought in WR Michael Floyd.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
The latest on Ifeadi is that he has been moved inside to DT (coaches thought he didn't quite have the speed for the edge and they love his heavy hands) and is playing w/ the 2nd string.

From what some have observed, he has been winning his 1-on-1 battles.

Reactions: NUThump
The latest on Ifeadi is that he has been moved inside to DT (coaches thought he didn't quite have the speed for the edge and they love his heavy hands) and is playing w/ the 2nd string.

He’ll get killed as a DT at 258lbs. This is not a good sign for him.

If Ifeadi can be an effective 3 technique in the NFL, than ANYTHING in this world is truly possible.

If Ifeadi can be an effective 3 technique in the NFL, than ANYTHING in this world is truly possible.
Yeah. I don't know much about line play in football, but that would surprise me as well, given his primary move at NU was a straight line speed / power rush off the edge.

And I wouldn't have really thought the body type either, though can always add muscle.

Yeah. I don't know much about line play in football, but that would surprise me as well, given his primary move at NU was a straight line speed / power rush off the edge.

And I wouldn't have really thought the body type either, though can always add muscle.
We took him out on running plays his whole career. Ironic.

I remember Bates telling me at about the time IO committed that he was the type of player who you use to go get the QB. The clear message was that he would be unlikely to progress much beyond that.

GOUNUII

I remember Bates telling me at about the time IO committed that he was the type of player who you use to go get the QB. The clear message was that he would be unlikely to progress much beyond that.

GOUNUII

Sorry but Bates saying an incoming freshman playing only his second year of football will never progress beyond being a speed rusher is silly. I suspect you misinterpreted his comments.

It looks like JJTBC has an injured hamstring that will keep him out of action for a while. That is bad timing when you're trying to make the active roster. Sounds like he was initially slotted at third string RB, and had been doing good things before the injury.

Reactions: rmndcat
Here is a story on his transition.....doesn't seem to like the double-teams!

Some of the added challenges that come with playing in the trenches include taking on double teams, something he never really had to do when he was playing outside. Instead of rushing the passer off the edge, and using his quickness to beat offensive lineman, Odenigbo has been forced to become more technical in his movements.

“Those fundamentals are pretty new to me,” he said. “Like having over 600 pounds on my back (on a double team). That’s been quite a bit of an adjustment. It’s a little tighter of a window; there’s not all that air. And then there’s all the hand movements. All of that is new to me.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/...tm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com

Last edited:
Here is a story on his transition.....doesn't seem to like the double-teams!

“Those fundamentals are pretty new to me,” he said. “Like having over 600 pounds on my back (on a double team). That’s been quite a bit of an adjustment. It’s a little tighter of a window; there’s not all that air. And then there’s all the hand movements. All of that is new to me.”

Successfully defeating a double team block is 50% physical and 90% mental.

The first mental challenge to overcome is that no matter how bad having two giant guys whale on you may seem, it's unlikely to kill you and it will be over in a few seconds. Once you realize that, the rest gets easier...;)

Sorry but Bates saying an incoming freshman playing only his second year of football will never progress beyond being a speed rusher is silly. I suspect you misinterpreted his comments.

Did it not turn out to be true?

GOUNUII

Did it not turn out to be true?

GOUNUII

Yes, 6 years after your conversation about an incoming recruit with Bates. Sorry, but I don't buy that Bates' talking about Ifaedi's strengths entering the program means he could not play effectively in other situations, regardless of how his career turned out at NU.

^
The Vikes list him at 258 lbs.

Siemian called out by his OC.

https://www.vikings.com/news/presser-points-defilippo-puts-spotlight-on-siemian-for-improved-play

Finally came across something on Carr.

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...arthur-maulet-john-fullington-mitchell-loewen

Not sure if this means/says anything, but the Saints just brought in WR Michael Floyd.

Seems like we had a whole bunch of shutouts in the week 1 games so far. Didn't see any tackles for Lowry, Lancaster, Walker and no stats from Carr, Vitale and GDick (Jackson hurt).

Carr needs a big preseason to make the team.

Here's an article about the growing importance NFL FO's place on guards (and the rising salaries) as a reaction to defensive schemes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...6c594024954_story.html?utm_term=.526fa452edaf

“It used to be conventional wisdom that the tackles were key to protecting your quarterback,” said Joe Banner, a former NFL front office executive. “We got out of that delusion after watching [defensive tackles] like [Fletcher] Cox and [Aaron] Donald take over games. If you combine them with this shortage of talent at [guard], people are putting a real premium at the position.”

For Geoff Schwartz, a former NFL guard and current SiriusXM host, the increased importance of guards became obvious when the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl following the 2011 season.

On third downs, the Giants lined up their pass-rushing defensive ends inside, over the guards, to create an athletic mismatch and generate consistent pressure on New England quarterback Tom Brady. Schwartz started seeing similar “goofy” defensive looks around 2008, as the league became more pass-happy and defenses placed a higher priority on linemen who could get after the quarterback, including from the interior.

“People used to be afraid to play smaller guys on the inside of the defensive line,” Banner said. “[Coaches] thought they’d get overpowered. That didn’t happen.”

Schwartz saw the change happening right in front of him.

“Defensive linemen used to kind of just run into you,” Schwartz said. “Now, there are more elaborate pass rushers inside. They line up wide of the guard and try to get past you. … The importance [of guards] is a reaction to the defense.”

The Chargers did the same thing against the Broncos last season, rotating Bosa and Ingram to the inside (which was smart since Garcia at LG was a turnstile).

While Bosa is on the larger side for a DE, Ingram is about Ifeadi's weight.

Speaking of Ingram, he was the one who put that tremendous hit on Trevor coming straight up from the inside - a hit that basically had Siemian shell-shocked for the rest of the season.

Always thought guards were undervalued.

Reason why Brees has the success he has had w/ the Saints is that they have done a good job w/ the interior protection - so that Brees usually has a pocket in which to step up to get rid of the ball.

Here's an article about the growing importance NFL FO's place on guards (and the rising salaries) as a reaction to defensive schemes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...6c594024954_story.html?utm_term=.526fa452edaf

“It used to be conventional wisdom that the tackles were key to protecting your quarterback,” said Joe Banner, a former NFL front office executive. “We got out of that delusion after watching [defensive tackles] like [Fletcher] Cox and [Aaron] Donald take over games. If you combine them with this shortage of talent at [guard], people are putting a real premium at the position.”

For Geoff Schwartz, a former NFL guard and current SiriusXM host, the increased importance of guards became obvious when the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl following the 2011 season.

On third downs, the Giants lined up their pass-rushing defensive ends inside, over the guards, to create an athletic mismatch and generate consistent pressure on New England quarterback Tom Brady. Schwartz started seeing similar “goofy” defensive looks around 2008, as the league became more pass-happy and defenses placed a higher priority on linemen who could get after the quarterback, including from the interior.

“People used to be afraid to play smaller guys on the inside of the defensive line,” Banner said. “[Coaches] thought they’d get overpowered. That didn’t happen.”

Schwartz saw the change happening right in front of him.

“Defensive linemen used to kind of just run into you,” Schwartz said. “Now, there are more elaborate pass rushers inside. They line up wide of the guard and try to get past you. … The importance [of guards] is a reaction to the defense.”

The Chargers did the same thing against the Broncos last season, rotating Bosa and Ingram to the inside (which was smart since Garcia at LG was a turnstile).

While Bosa is on the larger side for a DE, Ingram is about Ifeadi's weight.

Speaking of Ingram, he was the one who put that tremendous hit on Trevor coming straight up from the inside - a hit that basically had Siemian shell-shocked for the rest of the season.

Always thought guards were undervalued.

Reason why Brees has the success he has had w/ the Saints is that they have done a good job w/ the interior protection - so that Brees usually has a pocket in which to step up to get rid of the ball.

Brees was well protected also because they had a hell of a right tackle for many years.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT