ADVERTISEMENT

Cats land 2019 superback Thomas Gordon

That was fast! How often do we get commits that have never been to campus? Looks like a good fit and the Houston pipeline continues to produce.

That was a quick commitment. One could say it was over in a flash.
I see what you did.

As Hungry Jack likes to point out, a man with two first names has almost mystical powers. He doesn't need a visit to know.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
A early commit from a top 20 TE prospect out of Texas with offers from Houston, Duke, Baylor, Iowa State, along with interest from Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas A&M and OK State? Yes please.

Welcome, Thomas!

This is a great get out of Houston. This kid reminds me of Gronkowski. He can get downfield and is a matchup problem for interior defenses.
I really hope he doesn't remind anyone of Gronkowski for two reasons.
1. The general take on Gronk from those who had any contact with him as a player at North Allegheny was that he was a complete dick.
2. He's a walking advertisement for HGH. If the NFL were at all serious about getting drugs out of the league, Gronkowski's career would have ended no later than five years ago.

Welcome Thomas. Pretty sure you will happy when you make your visit and see the new facility.
Go Cats !

Welcome Mr. Gordon! Very excited to see you don the purple and be a part of bringing it back to Pasadena.

Go Cats!

1. The general take on Gronk from those who had any contact with him as a player at North Allegheny was that he was a complete dick.
2. He's a walking advertisement for HGH. If the NFL were at all serious about getting drugs out of the league, Gronkowski's career would have ended no later than five years ago.

Literally everyone is on HGH. It's produced naturally by the body in both men and women

Also, it's not an anabolic steroid that adds mass. It aids in recovery and helps improve muscle fatigue.

Throwing around wild accusations about someone juicing just because he's a freak of nature physically is kinda BS IMO

He could also remind one of Gronk in terms of the matchup issues he presents, especially on downfield routes. He’s too fast for LBs and taller than most safeties. He uses his big body well to gain advantage on contested balls. It has nothing to do with whatever baggage you describe.

This is a great get out of Houston. This kid reminds me of Gronkowski. He can get downfield and is a matchup problem for interior defenses.

His junior film shows a lot. Bigger, more nimble and more athletic than Dickerson at the same stage in their careers. Very light on his feet. Good hands. Plenty tough enough in the punch. A willing and capable blocker.
If he's all of 6-5, I can see him playing at 250 lbs. Would give us two versatile offensive threats at SB as I like Pugh's downfield potential a bunch as well.
A great take for the Cats. His adjusted star rating is a 5.7 three star. Can get that 4th star by his second year in the program if he gets a little more explosive as he gets bigger and stronger.

Congrats to Thomas and the entire Gordon family.

GOUNUII

His junior film shows a lot. Bigger, more nimble and more athletic than Dickerson at the same stage in their careers. Very light on his feet. Good hands. Plenty tough enough in the punch. A willing and capable blocker.
If he's all of 6-5, I can see him playing at 250 lbs. Would give us two versatile offensive threats at SB as I like Pugh's downfield potential a bunch as well.
A great take for the Cats. His adjusted star rating is a 5.7 three star. Can get that 4th star by his second year in the program if he gets a little more explosive as he gets bigger and stronger.

GOUNUII
Thankfully, we have someone like you to do this sort of analysis. Great job!

GOUNUII
Precisely this. I don't get all the teeth-gnashing over my Gronk comment. I never said he had Gronk's personality. Nor did I say he would become an NFL All Pro. He has a similar physique and an apparent ability to stretch the field and create nightmares for LBs and safeties. We will see how he develops, but we have not had a downfield threat like this since Drake Dunsmore.

Precisely this. I don't get all the teeth-gnashing over my Gronk comment. I never said he had Gronk's personality. Nor did I say he would become an NFL All Pro. He has a similar physique and an apparent ability to stretch the field and create nightmares for LBs and safeties. We will see how he develops, but we have not had a downfield threat like this since Drake Dunsmore.

Gronk is really fast for his size. I don't think long speed is one of this kid's strongest assets. I think I saw a 5.04 40 yard time listed on ESPN from one of last year's camps. I am sure those numbers will improve as he gets older and physically matures but I don't think you are looking at Gronk type speed.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Gronk is really fast for his size. I don't think long speed is one of this kid's strongest assets. I think I saw a 5.04 40 yard time listed on ESPN from one of last year's camps. I am sure those numbers will improve as he gets older and physically matures but I don't think you are looking at Gronk type speed.

Correct. This is from the Nike Houston combine in February 2017:

NAME GRAD YR. POS SCHOOL/STATE HT WT 40Y SH PB VJ RATING
Gordon, Thomas 19 TE Strake Jesuit - TX 6-4 218 5.04 4.58 36.0 24.2 67.05

Winter? It's 56 F and raining in Pa. today. We usually have a couple of frigid episodes between warming cycles these days.
Well, we had 7" of snow here in NC last week and it is still on the ground despite temps in the 60 yesterday and today. Didn't move far enough south.

Wow.

We are comparing a Junior in high school to one of the all time great NFL Tight Ends. Madness.
Ok.

I will rescind my comparison to Gronk. I don’t want to be accused of imbibing the same elixirs as our exuberant one, aka Wrassler.

But he does also remind me of Arturs Gooberschnaugg, the kickball legend from my fifth grade days at Bristol school. Rumor has it he was from Vilnius, or maybe Talinn, or perhaps even Sikeston, MO. In any case, something in the water there must have caused him to mature early. He could kick a kickball through a chain link fence, and he ran the bases so fast, he could circle them twice when he was showing off for the ladies. He clearly was an elite athlete, and had little business playing with us weaklings.

So I will close by saying that we have ourselves a fine SB prospect.

Reactions: NJCat
Well, we had 7" of snow here in NC last week and it is still on the ground despite temps in the 60 yesterday and today. Didn't move far enough south.
It's snowed here in Houston twice this winter, which for SE Texas is very rare. It's been the coldest winter I can remember here. Last week's snowfall stayed on the ground and rooftops for two days. A brief taste of Chicago-style winter for Flash Gordon. Of course, it was back up near 70 degrees today.

The picture posted by Rivals shows him with a somewhat unusual piece of headgear. Is that the new Wildcat look, the NFL answer to targeting or just some kind of practice protection.

Most 7v7 tournaments require head protection, usually in the form of that sort of “soft helmet.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT