ADVERTISEMENT

CATS LAND QB HUNTER JOHNSON

What a get indeed!

I'm not sure about this being impossible a decade ago though. Don't get me wrong, this is a huge get and I'm ecstatic, but look at who we beat out. Purdue and Duke. We beat those schools out for kids all the time. It would have been a monumental upset had we not landed him. It'd be one thing to land him out of HS when the world is in play and a kid is all starry eyed and not always thinking straight. Another thing entirely with a kid who knows a lot more about what he is looking for. NU has always been a destination for transfers from blue blood programs. Kustok. Cerasani, Roehl. Prater. Jovan "Grenade" Witherspoon. Basically, we are the smart choice once kids figure out they made a mistake and are older and wiser.

Is there a story behind the "Grenade" nickname fo Witherspoon? Just curious...

Is there a story behind the "Grenade" nickname fo Witherspoon? Just curious...

Believe a coach or someone tied to the ND program once remarked that he would only play "if a grenade went off in the WR room" or some such comment.

Believe a coach or someone tied to the ND program once remarked that he would only play "if a grenade went off in the WR room" or some such comment.

I thought it was an NU coach who said that. What was the name of the WR coach at NU before Johns?

He was the #1 QB, and the #2 overall recruit in his year.
Depends on the site you are looking at. Rivals had him as #2 QB and #18 overall. Elite 11 or whatever had him as #1 QB. And I do not know about other sites. Obviously a top talent. But remember, that is all potential. Means he has a solid base to work from but he still has to develop, stay healthy and put it on the field.

1. Looks like ECat's "litmus test" came out Purple! - Welcome to "Moose" Hunter Johnson!
From the Bryce Kirtz Watch thread:

1. "We could certainly use some karma on the quarterback front.

The pictured cow and calf ran out in front of my vehicle yesterday."

IMG_4147_zpspnixvkn2.jpg
    IMG_4149_zpsv4dqdtws.jpg
  2. Does a moose sighting have anything to do with transfer commitments?????

3. 3 GECat2, May 27, 2018

4. Does a moose sighting have anything to do with transfer commitments?????

5. Alaskawildkat:

6. Maybe there is a transfer-mative property?"
Today's [Bryce's] commitment is certainly good news on the karma front.

(There were multiple Moose sighted so ..... we can still hope for the quarterback commitment to be a beneficiary of the Mojo Moose Karma as well.)

EvanstonCat:
If Hunter Johnson is a Cat, then I'll give the moose some credit. This is the litmus test.

1. IMG_4427_zpscdbt3ivr.jpg

2. LansingCatWell-Known Member

I count 14. Surely this means 14 wins this season!
Cow brought it home. Now how about some more sightings. We need to fill in the roster.

What a get indeed!

I'm not sure about this being impossible a decade ago though. Don't get me wrong, this is a huge get and I'm ecstatic, but look at who we beat out. Purdue and Duke. We beat those schools out for kids all the time. It would have been a monumental upset had we not landed him. It'd be one thing to land him out of HS when the world is in play and a kid is all starry eyed and not always thinking straight. Another thing entirely with a kid who knows a lot more about what he is looking for. NU has always been a destination for transfers from blue blood programs. Kustok. Cerasani, Roehl. Prater. Jovan "Grenade" Witherspoon. Basically, we are the smart choice once kids figure out they made a mistake and are older and wiser.
Sorry but we were likely up against a lot more than just those two. For us it looked like we had the most to offer vs the other programs that we were aware of (primarily the open shot at stepping in once CT moves on) but there is little way for us to know what else he was looking at

Not conjecture. QB coaching and the path to the NFL was the #1 factor here.

Agreed.

I seem to remember Johnson having positive things to say about McCall during his initial recruitment. Mick tends to catch flak on here (and other sites) throughout the season, but the dude knows what he's doing. NU is very fortunate have him on staff.

Agreed.

I seem to remember Johnson having positive things to say about McCall during his initial recruitment. Mick tends to catch flak on here (and other sites) throughout the season, but the dude knows what he's doing. NU is very fortunate have him on staff.
Agree. And FWIW I'd be shocked if Mick left NU before HJ does......he pretty much hit the QB lottery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT