ADVERTISEMENT

CBS reports half a dozen Alabama football players test positive for Coronavirus

There will be many more instances like this. All these players need to be tested when they come back before they are allowed to engage in any team activities.
Agree they should be tested before group workouts. But once on campus, they should be less likely to get infected than living in their home towns. They probably will live in campus housing for the most part and cn be isolated more easily if necessary. So far Gernan soccer has restarted without a spike in infections, and if college teams follow their methodology the players should be OK.

A. But once on campus, they should be less likely to get infected than living in their home towns. They probably will live in campus housing for the most part and cn be isolated more easily if necessary. So far Gernan soccer has restarted without a spike in infections, and if college teams follow their methodology the players should be OK.

Not sure why you say this. Won't football players have to go class?

I must be one of the few that thinks that social distancing and other protective measures haven't a chance in hell of being followed after two days on campus by any student. Campuses will be loaded with infections in two weeks.

I must be one of the few that thinks that social distancing and other protective measures haven't a chance in hell of being followed after two days on campus by any student. Campuses will be loaded with infections in two weeks.
Agreed! I just think we will have an " avalanche of problems" related to the detection and spreading of COVID 19. Brazil is having a major problem right now. Over 1,000 dead in a single day. Wait till the students are back on campus. Lawsuits galore as we won't be able to ensure the cleanliness and safety of all students in school, regardless of age.

Agreed! I just think we will have an " avalanche of problems" related to the detection and spreading of COVID 19. Brazil is having a major problem right now. Over 1,000 dead in a single day. Wait till the students are back on campus. Lawsuits galore as we won't be able to ensure the cleanliness and safety of all students in school, regardless of age.

Aren’t you the guy also claiming that there aren’t many COVID deaths because of pre-existing conditions or some such nonsense?

Pick a lane.

Find it interesting that ND says it will house it's FB players in a hotel/motel. Wonder why?

Reactions: Titanium999
Aren’t you the guy also claiming that there aren’t many COVID deaths because of pre-existing conditions or some such nonsense?

Pick a lane.
I don't know the true extent,cause, and damage of the virus. The virus seems to be slowing down,even though people are not social distancing as much. I do think the virus is spreading in unkempt and filthy environments,like jails,prisons,and some nursing homes. The virus seems to be potent. Why else would people be dying in places they may not ordinary die! In Illinois, 92% of the deaths due to Covid 19 are due to preexisting conditions. That comes from published data available to anyone. Personally,I'm terrified of what the virus will do to young children,once schools get back in session. Kids have respiratory system issues and other issues. Because of the law called " Least Restrictive Environment" they are often mainstreamed, when they have special needs issues. It is one thing to have an 85 year old die. Although tradgic,they have lived almost a full life. I would hate to see children die needlessly,when sheltering and social distancing ,and wearing masks may help. Unfortunately, some families don't have the funds or means to quarentine. Especially poor and urban areas. When the Spanish Flu came in 1918 or so, those areas of the country that quarentined, did remarkably well.

Again, COVID spread has very little to do with the cleanliness of a school or prison.
Not sure myself Glades! But why have ten people died at both Statesville and Cook County jail in the last two months? A statistical anomoly!

Not sure myself Glades! But why have ten people died at both Statesville and Cook County jail in the last two months? A statistical anomoly!

The virus is primarily spread through droplets ejected from talking, coughing, sneezing, etc. in close proximity of others. Prison = close proximity.

So do locker rooms.
So do protests. But the numbers seem to be much lower the past 10 days. You may be somewhat right. I just don't think that many people would die in those places ( jails, nursing homes) and not at the jewel, Costco, etc. Who knows?

So do protests. But the numbers seem to be much lower the past 10 days. You may be somewhat right. I just don't think that many people would die in those places ( jails, nursing homes) and not at the jewel, Costco, etc. Who knows?
Have you seen the statistics for Nursing Homes or group facilities. That will tell you all you need to know.

Whatcha mean?
I mean that group facilities, like nursing homes had a large % of illnesses and deaths in Illinois. certainly part of the reason was the age and health of the individual but close living in group homes attributed as well. You could add jails and psychiatry facilities to that as well.

I mean that group facilities, like nursing homes had a large % of illnesses and deaths in Illinois. certainly part of the reason was the age and health of the individual but close living in group homes attributed as well. You could add jails and psychiatry facilities to that as well.
That is pretty much my concern as well! Have you seen a Chicago Public School? At some places,you have 250-300 kids in small areas,the size of a lecture hall. Come to think of it! The whole lecture hall with a 125 students won't work that well either. South America seems to have an uptick while here in Illinois,we seem to have a downswing! Any ideas? I'm at a loss myself.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Three more players have testing positive for COVID-19 this week. This after 5 players were positive last week when team meetings began. None of the 8 are exhibiting symptoms.

Shows how critical it is to control how teams return to working together. Testing before association is the key it would seem.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/11/three-more-alabama-football-players-test-positive/
Wow! Sounds like the typical flu! The problem is you are going to have 5-15 players each week testing positive, without symptoms. They are going to have them sit out no matter what.

I don't think you're one of "the few" that think that. It is definitely a risk. Colleges have been agonizing over whether to allow students back or go completely online for the past couple of months.

I think they've decided to take the risk because for some schools going purely online could be a disaster. There's a good chance many students would take a gap year or demand lower tuitions if it was only online instruction.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I don't think you're one of "the few" that think that. It is definitely a risk. Colleges have been agonizing over whether to allow students back or go completely online for the past couple of months.

I think they've decided to take the risk because for some schools going purely online could be a disaster. There's a good chance many students would take a gap year or demand lower tuitions if it was only online instruction.
Do you really think that it's OK for schools to risk the health and lives of their students and athletes because of the old mighty dollar? A school like NU and many others could just dip a bit into their huge endowment funds.

Do you really think that it's OK for schools to risk the health and lives of their students and athletes because of the old mighty dollar? A school like NU and many others could just dip a bit into their huge endowment funds.
87% of the deaths in Illinois have been people 60 and older, 70% were 70 and older.
In Illinois there have been 4 deaths under age 20 and 21 deaths between ages 20 and 30.
In Cook County, where they list comorbidities, 91% of total deaths also had comorbidities listed.
In Cook County, 2 of 2 under age 20 and 16 of 19 ages 20 thru 29 had comorbidities.
In Illinois between 5,000,000 and 5,500,000 of the states total population is age 30 and younger.

87% of the deaths in Illinois have been people 60 and older, 70% were 70 and older.
In Illinois there have been 4 deaths under age 20 and 21 deaths between ages 20 and 30.
In Cook County, where they list comorbidities, 91% of total deaths also had comorbidities listed.
In Cook County, 2 of 2 under age 20 and 16 of 19 ages 20 thru 29 had comorbidities.
In Illinois between 5,000,000 and 5,500,000 of the states total population is age 30 and younger.

Right, but when say 10% of a school comes down with an aggressive, flu-like disease, the media will go nuts. Rightfully so since all those students return home and into the larger world. One way to hit herd immunity numbers quickly.

Clemson announced a host of positive COVID tests among fall athletes:

Today, via Pete Thamel of yahoo.com, the school announced 28 positive COVID-19 tests among 315 student-athletes and staff tested. The university did not break down the tests by sport with athletes in football, men’s basketball, volleyball and men’s and women’s soccer having returned for voluntary workouts.

The Athletic is reporting that 25 of the 28 were in the football program, including 2 staff members. At this rate they will have herd immunity by September.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...es-28-positive-covid-19-tests-among-athletes/

Schools and the NCAA have been risking the health of students athletes, namely football players, for years.

What’s the difference now?

There will be no NCAAF in 2020. I will take any wager.

Agreed. To take this one step further, universities will be closed by the end of September if not sooner. Hope I am wrong. This stuff is too contagious and students do not have the discipline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT