ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports' Jerry Palm is first in with complete bowl predictions

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
FWIW Jerry Palm has Ohio State in the playoffs, and Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan in the Selection Committee Bowl Games (Rose, Cotton and Orange respectively.)

He has Nebraska to the Outback, Iowa to Music City, Indiana to Foster Farms, Northwestern to the Pinstripe, Minnesota to the Holiday, and Maryland to the Quick Lane. No B1G team to the Heart of Dallas.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

(As previously noted on DrillCat's Bowl thread, IMO, Foster Farms still seems like the more likely destination for NU:

"I would have to think that close in proximity Maryland has to look attractive to Pinstripe and thus if they are available they have a better shot at being selected than Northwestern. Since the goal has to be to avoid Detroit and Dallas then it would make sense for the powers to be at NU to begin lobbying now for Foster Farms. If by chance Pinstripe can and does select NU that would be OK, but regardless of whether 3 or 4 B1G teams go to the NY6 or playoffs, Northwestern is now and will otherwise continue to be in the mix for selection by Foster Farms."

Last edited:
FWIW Jerry Palm has Ohio State in the playoffs, and Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan in the Selection Committee Bowl Games (Rose, Cotton and Orange respectively.)

He has Nebraska to the Outback, Iowa to Music City, Indiana to Foster Farms, Northwestern to the Pinstripe, Minnesota to the Holiday, and Maryland to the Quick Lane. No B1G team to the Heart of Dallas.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

(As previously noted on DrillCat's Bowl thread, IMO, Foster Farms still seems like the more likely destination for NU:

"I would have to think that close in proximity Maryland has to look attractive to Pinstripe and thus if they are available they have a better shot at being selected than Northwestern. Since the goal has to be to avoid Detroit and Dallas then it would make sense for the powers to be at NU to begin lobbying now for Foster Farms. If by chance Pinstripe can and does select NU that would be OK, but regardless of whether 3 or 4 B1G teams go to the NY6 or playoffs, Northwestern is now and will otherwise continue to be in the mix for selection by Foster Farms."

I think we end up playing Stanford in the Foster Farms Bowl. That is a better matchup for us on so many levels. Maryland is a better draw for the Pinstripe Bowl which means that Indiana will go to the Quick Lane Bowl.

Disagree corbi. Playing any team in what is essentially a home game for them is never a good matchup. Foster Farms is what, 16 miles from Stanford's campus? Their climate, their time zone, their fan base. Add to this that Stanford is 9-3 and been on a tear since mid October, and we could be looking at a beat down like what Iowa experienced last year. Just don't like the logistics more than anything else. I know that is largely the nature of bowl games for Big Ten teams, but unjust think with the Pinstripe in play, we have a rare opportunity for a truly neutral site where we are more acclimated for the conditions than a warm weather opponent.

Disagree corbi. Playing any team in what is essentially a home game for them is never a good matchup. Foster Farms is what, 16 miles from Stanford's campus? Their climate, their time zone, their fan base. Add to this that Stanford is 9-3 and been on a tear since mid October, and we could be looking at a beat down like what Iowa experienced last year. Just don't like the logistics more than anything else. I know that is largely the nature of bowl games for Big Ten teams, but unjust think with the Pinstripe in play, we have a rare opportunity for a truly neutral site where we are more acclimated for the conditions than a warm weather opponent.

Stanford does not draw well at home and from everything I can tell their very fickle fan base has checked out since their 3 midseason losses. Yes, they are a talented team but they are nowhere near as physical on the line of scrimmage as they used to be under Harbaugh. This is key because we have seen how badly we struggle against teams with dominant fronts. Their strength is their skill players and I think we can match up against those strengths, particularly with a month to prepare. In addition, the recruiting upside from this matchup is superior to any other likely matchup. We get visibility in California, a talent rich state we need to recruit better in , and we get an opportunity to beat our biggest recruiting rival for the second time in two years. In my opinion, this bowl matchup provides the biggest upside for NU.

Reactions: wildelk2
See your points. I'm still pulling for Pinstripe, if only for the advantages I see in the venue, and a chance to play a conference we have never faced in a bowl. But based on your opinions of the game matchup, I do see how you view the opportunity there. I don't share them, but see them.

Reactions: nu greek
I think Northwestern would be a better draw in California than Maryland would be. We had a very strong turnout at the Cal game in 2013. Maryland would bring more fans to NYC.

College Football News as of this AM.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY, 2:00 ET, ABC
ACC vs. Big Ten
Georgia Tech vs. Northwestern

I know nothing about GT.

Foster Farms Bowl
Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, CA, 8:30 ET, FOX
Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Indiana vs. Washington State

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
ACC vs. Big Ten

I know nothing about GT.

Foster Farms Bowl
Big Ten vs. Pac-12

We have some significant flaws this season. I'll take the GaTech match up in NYC all day.

Sorta like NU's which checked out after a 1-3 start......;)

Don't disagree. That is why I don't think home field advantage would be much of an issue against Stanford in the Foster Farms Bowl. We'll get a good contingent to travel because of the attractive destination and Stanford will get their usual mediocre home crowd. That's really a wash.

We have some significant flaws this season. I'll take the GaTech match up in NYC all day.

Georgia Tech would be a good match up. They run the triple option, which is a difficult offense to prepare for but one that can be dealt with if you have several weeks to prepare. In addition, a win could give us some added momentum with recruiting in Georgia now that we seem to be making some inroads there.

Don't disagree. That is why I don't think home field advantage would be much of an issue against Stanford in the Foster Farms Bowl. We'll get a good contingent to travel because of the attractive destination and Stanford will get their usual mediocre home crowd. That's really a wash.

100% not worried about home field advantage for Stanford @ Foster Farms...their students will be scattered to the winds...sure there are alums in the area...for both schools. This isn't the SEC. I'm much more worried about a 9-3 Stanford squad with something to prove.

My point on home field advantage has less to do with the number of fans in the seats than the inconvenience of traveling and spending Christmas away from home, etc. vs. the opponent who doesn't have to deal with those issues whatsoever. I would think that Stanford would have a tremendous advantage in such a situation.

CatFanEd, please elaborate. What exactly doesn't make sense?

My point on home field advantage has less to do with the number of fans in the seats than the inconvenience of traveling and spending Christmas away from home, etc. vs. the opponent who doesn't have to deal with those issues whatsoever. I would think that Stanford would have a tremendous advantage in such a situation.

CatFanEd, please elaborate. What exactly doesn't make sense?
OK.1) I think Maryland has a stronger appeal if Pinstripe picks before FF. 2)The fans I know, season ticket holders in the east parking lot who go to the home games and travel to bowl games, would rather stay home than freeze in Yankee stadium. We remember Wrigley field. I must admit it is a small sampling but I think a larger sampling of the parking lot fans would render similar results. If traveling is an inconvenience in both cases, I would rather be inconvenienced in California. Also, I would like to beat Stanford again.

Reactions: rmndcat
Ahhh. CFE, I can't argue with any of that. I had been thinking, even though I am pulling for the Pinstripe, what the stadium viewing is like for a football game there. I do remember Wrigley, and remember loving every aspect of the venue, inside and outside the stadium, except the view to see the actual game.

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
ACC vs. Big Ten

I know nothing about GT.

Foster Farms Bowl
Big Ten vs. Pac-12

My son is at Tech. How much fun we will have if this pans out!

Reactions: NUCat320
Ahhh. CFE, I can't argue with any of that. I had been thinking, even though I am pulling for the Pinstripe, what the stadium viewing is like for a football game there. I do remember Wrigley, and remember loving every aspect of the venue, inside and outside the stadium, except the view to see the actual game.

If you couldn't see the actual game, you were lucky. That was a classic NU stinker.

Here's a question, what do bowls care about more, packing the stadium with locals who can come from home, or travelers who are going to rent rooms, cars, eat in restaurants, etc? We always talk about bowls wanting a local team to get more fans in the seat, but wouldn't that cut into many/most of the rests of the aspects of the economy hoping to benefit?

Here's a question, what do bowls care about more, packing the stadium with locals who can come from home, or travelers who are going to rent rooms, cars, eat in restaurants, etc? We always talk about bowls wanting a local team to get more fans in the seat, but wouldn't that cut into many/most of the rests of the aspects of the economy hoping to benefit?
I think you have hit the right button there. Does the saying, "they travel well" ring a bell. getting to NYC would be easier and cheaper for most NU fans, although the hotel prices might be a bit higher in NY.

I think you have hit the right button there. Does the saying, "they travel well" ring a bell. getting to NYC would be easier and cheaper for most NU fans, although the hotel prices might be a bit higher in NY.
I wonder if alumni base has some say in which bowls to go to. If so, East Coast alums are due for a bowl game. Also close to my family so I would go.

A bit higher? Try more than double. I currently have a reservation on hold for a top SF Hotel right in the heart of downtown for $169 a night. If I am lucky, I could get the same caliber room in NY city for $375 a night.

A bit higher? Try more than double. I currently have a reservation on hold for a top SF Hotel right in the heart of downtown for $169 a night. If I am lucky, I could get the same caliber room in NY city for $375 a night.
More than double for sure. I have two rooms reserved in NYC for about 500 bucks a night per room. With 14.7% tax plus hotel charge, the total can add up quick.
Lets not forget $75 for parking per night.
Cheers!

When do they actually make the bowl announcements?
Next Sunday (12/4), after the final games are played on Saturday and the CFP participants are chosen. It will all move quickly after that's out of the way.

1. NYC is damn cold.
2. Every time we face the triple option, we have looked bad. Why should this time be better?
3. Stanford is a better rivalry game. Why the hell are people afraid if Stanford but cheer when we out Norte Dame in our schedule?
4. You can get by much cheaper in Santa Clara than NYC.
5. See number 1.

More than double for sure. I have two rooms reserved in NYC for about 500 bucks a night per room. With 14.7% tax plus hotel charge, the total can add up quick.
Lets not forget $75 for parking per night.
Cheers!
Why would you want a car in NYC?

Reactions: Styre
Not saying it won't be Foster Farms, but would be shocked if any bowl would want two teams from small, private schools with small fan bases and mediocre bowl attendance history, both of which are coming off disappointing seasons. Would expect anyone taking us or Stanford or Duke to want a state school with a huge fan base as the opponent.

But who knows?

Bowls are really about TV now as I assume the bowls get to take home a share of the TV income. I suspect Foster Farms on FOX and a late afternoon-evening game on the 28th is going to draw more viewers than Pinstripe on ESPN with a midday-early afternoon game. It would be telling to learn what the cost to advertise is respectively for those two networks and different time slots for the same mid week day.

Same goes for the recruiting advantage though that is probably muted by most high school students being home for the holidays. On second thought, strike that, I forgot that for high schoolers holiday awake hours go from mid to late afternoon to the early hours of the morning so we will have more potential recruits awake watching us play in Santa Clara as well.

would you rather play Boston College in a winnable game at a climate controlled Quicklane (Detroit) or freeze our rear ends off vs. a high powered Pitt team at Yankee Stadium?? I think Detroit may be better than that (cannot believe I just said it)

This fear of losing and losing badly is way over blown. No one, except the two fan bases, remembers or cares who won or lost the pinstripe or foster farms 15 minutes after the game is done. Just getting to the bowl is what matters

This fear of losing and losing badly is way over blown. No one, except the two fan bases, remembers or cares who won or lost the pinstripe or foster farms 15 minutes after the game is done. Just getting to the bowl is what matters

Are you kidding, or just trying to stir things up? Of course winning matters, far and above just 'getting to the bowl'. Are you more proud, as a fan of NU, getting co** slapped like we did last year in the Outback, or having won the less prestigious Gator Bowl?

Are you kidding, or just trying to stir things up? Of course winning matters, far and above just 'getting to the bowl'. Are you more proud, as a fan of NU, getting co** slapped like we did last year in the Outback, or having won the less prestigious Gator Bowl?
I am not kidding. In my circles no one gave a shit about the citrus bowl, and even fewer would care about the 6-6 team bowls. Without googling, who was in the foster farms bowl last year, the year before? No one remembers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT