ADVERTISEMENT

CFP Expansion

I would prefer 16 . 12 only guarntees 1-4 in the semies by giving a by week. Ifa team makes to the finals, thats 16 grames one less then the new NFL. Foget the "student in student athlete.

All you ever hear on this subject is how the powers that be are standing on the brakes, caring for the little fiefdoms that have grown up around the bowls. They should be boiled in molten lead on TV.

There are predictions that the B1G and SEC will get the lion's share of the TV revenue from the expanded format - something along the lines of an additional $16+ million for each B1G and SEC school.

Under the new format, a school could end up playing 17 games - the equivalent of an expanded NFL season.

That's a lot of wear and tear on student-athletes and unlike coaches, they don't get extra recompense (there are calls for players to share in the PO bounty).

One thing the expanded PO should do is level the playing field a bit when it comes to recruiting.

Under the current format - Bama, UGA, dOSU, Clemson and LSU have gotten the most 5* recruits and not coincidentally, they are the programs that have won NCs of late.

Bama had about double the # of 5* recruits of LSU.

Last edited:
I’m a bit too lazy to do the research. Has anyone gone back and looked to see if we would have made the CFP in prior years under the new proposed format?

I’m a bit too lazy to do the research. Has anyone gone back and looked to see if we would have made the CFP in prior years under the new proposed format?
2015 we'd have been one spot outside.

We finished #12 in the polls at 10-2 but likely would've missed by one spot in this 12 team format since it takes 6 conference champs and the 6th conference champ was below us.

That's the closest we'd have been.

There are predictions that the B1G and SEC will get the lion's share of the TV revenue from the expanded format - something along the lines of an additional $16+ million for each B1G and SEC school.

Under the new format, a school could end up playing 17 games - the equivalent of an expanded NFL season.

That's a lot of wear and tear on student-athletes and unlike coaches, they don't get extra recompense (there are calls for players to share in the PO bounty).

One thing the expanded PO should do is level the playing field a bit when it comes to recruiting.

Under the current format - Bama, UGA, dOSU, Clemson and LSU have gotten the most 5* recruits and not coincidentally, they are the programs that have won NCs of late.

Bama had about double the # of 5* recruits of LSU.
It struck me as a bit gross to see a university president chairing the CFP, but, ultimately, the later quote reveals that the entirety of the concept is all about using players to drive donations. We all knew it was just a cash play, but it’s nice to see it in black and white.

"The playoff is the key," Aresco said. "If you have access to that, I think you'll stay relevant. Your donors will care. Your fans will care. The schools will make the investment because they have a chance to compete. … That's going to be the key to everything."

That’s from the AAC commissioner.

So obvious, but those who could change it - same suckasses that won't permit a tournament - are perfectly happy to see the same several teams acquire all the top talent and compete among themselves year after year.

It has been even worse in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT