ADVERTISEMENT

CFP Teams

Cincinnati is showing that they should have had an invite. That will be even more obvious when Bama destroys Notre Dame later today.

So sick of the Clemson, Alabama, dOSU lineup in the CFP. Can’t think of a less interesting set of teams. I’m not denying that the teams are good. Just sick of them. And ND is equally boring. Anyone share this feeling?
Cincinnati looks great! They deserve it over ND!

So sick of the Clemson, Alabama, dOSU lineup in the CFP. Can’t think of a less interesting set of teams. I’m not denying that the teams are good. Just sick of them. And ND is equally boring. Anyone share this feeling?
Agree completely, but what are you gonna do? The CFP figures to be heavily peppered with these names for a long time to come. :rolleyes:

It's 31-7 and you think they belong? When it comes to CFP games, ND should replace the statute of the Virgin Mary on the Golden Dome with a statute of St. Jude. For those non-catholics, St. Jude is the patron saint of Hopeless Causes!!

The issue is the media has hyped the championship so much that every other bowl/game is unimportant. Same dynamic as March Madness. If the media came up with a different narrative they could do a better job not undermining the significance of virtually every team but a select few. It isn't helping the game. Remember when the Rose Bowl was a very big deal even when the teams might not be viewed as the top couple? Societal issue IMO. Only the top winner is important.

• Love
Reactions: TheC and drewjin
The issue is the media has hyped the championship so much that every other bowl/game is unimportant. Same dynamic as March Madness. If the media came up with a different narrative they could do a better job not undermining the significance of virtually every team but a select few. It isn't helping the game. Remember when the Rose Bowl was a very big deal even when the teams might not be viewed as the top couple? Societal issue IMO. Only the top winner is important.
I finally made the connection this morning that we’re headed to a world where “everything that’s not CFP” = “NIT”.

It’s sad, and it’s what the anti-playoff folks feared.

I finally made the connection this morning that we’re headed to a world where “everything that’s not CFP” = “NIT”.

I think you have to to a bigger playoff not a smaller one. Then at least 8 teams stay in tact for a bowl game. This year was really odd with the opt outs increasing because players are not only thinking of their pro future, but are also sick and tired of the virus protocols. The transfer rule has the biggest impact and may lead to bowl game schedule moving up a week or two. Keep the schedule where it pressing up against the second semester school calendar and it will be similar to this year with opt outs.

Never fear. It will expand to 8 teams. Then 16. Isn't more always better?
/S

Reactions: NUCat320
CFB will ruin something good. There are too many Bowls but the current format is good. Especiallyfor BIG teams. As long as the Big and Pac have the Rose Bowl keep it. Citrus and Outback also solid. Those two conferences have huge influence. Picking top 4 after the Bowls keeps the Bowls part of it. Then again it gets the top 2 to a 16 game season.

This is how many wipeouts for Notre Dame? Next time the playoff committee puts them in over a P5 conference champion they'd better have a damned good justification for it.

Honestly I think Oklahoma would have given Bama a much better game than ND did. A team that loses -- and even moreso, one which gets blown out -- in their conference championship game should not be going to the playoffs. Period, full stop, even if their name is Notre Dame.

Honestly I think Oklahoma would have given Bama a much better game than ND did. A team that loses -- and even moreso, one which gets blown out -- in their conference championship game should not be going to the playoffs. Period, full stop, even if their name is Notre Dame.
The same Oklahoma that was beaten by Kansas State which went on to lose its last 5 games? The Oklahoma that lost to ISU and then nearly blew it in the championship game? Maybe the Oklahoma that needed OT to beat Texas.

Hindsight is 20/20. The committee got it right. The only team you could possibly make a case for going in was Cincinnati and that case wasn’t strong.

Reactions: torque-cat

Correction: especially if their name is Notre Dame.
:)

I have accepted the situation. It’s basically a league of 4 or 5 teams that are competing. The own the playoff. They are good teams full of future NFL players. I try to enjoy it as such.
Or if you want to watch pro teams play, just watch the pros

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
The same Oklahoma that was beaten by Kansas State which went on to lose its last 5 games? The Oklahoma that lost to ISU and then nearly blew it in the championship game? Maybe the Oklahoma that needed OT to beat Texas.

Hindsight is 20/20. The committee got it right. The only team you could possibly make a case for going in was Cincinnati and that case wasn’t strong.
Well, we lost to MSU

I have accepted the situation. It’s basically a league of 4 or 5 teams that are competing. The own the playoff. They are good teams full of future NFL players. I try to enjoy it as such.
And with all the pub they get, they make it more likely to continue. Take a look at the number of 4 to 5 star recruits on those rosters. Just gets more and more skewed. And really right now it is three teams and one more that they allow in to serve as fodder to the #1 seed from a group of 4-5. (Ga, ND, OK, a PAC12 victor if they could ever get it together)

• Love
Never fear. It will expand to 8 teams. Then 16. Isn't more always better?
/S

I’d like to see 6 teams. The five power 5 conference champs + the highest ranked independent or non-P5 team. You win your conference, you’re in. That’s how a playoff is supposed to work. Lose the committees.

Give 1 and 2 ranked a first round bye. Have 3-6 and 4-5 play each other in early December (to kick off Bowl season). Keep the final four on Jan 1.

Considering that ISU is beating Oregon like a rented mule, I don't think OU's struggling against them in the championship is anything to be embarrassed about. OU beat the SEC East champ. ND finished the season with two blowouts. I know which team I think was playing at a higher level at the end of the season.

Considering that ISU is beating Oregon like a rented mule, I don't think OU's struggling against them in the championship is anything to be embarrassed about. OU beat the SEC East champ. ND finished the season with two blowouts. I know which team I think was playing at a higher level at the end of the season.

Yeah just make the playoffs conference champions

It should really be 8 teams. The power 5 champs get in. Then at least one undefeated non power five and 2 money makers. Everyone’s happy.

I’d like to see 6 teams. The five power 5 conference champs + the highest ranked independent or non-P5 team. You win your conference, you’re in. That’s how a playoff is supposed to work. Lose the committees.

Give 1 and 2 ranked a first round bye. Have 3-6 and 4-5 play each other in early December (to kick off Bowl season). Keep the final four on Jan 1.
Well at least more teams would get a taste but if 6 why not 8 or if 8 why not more?

I like this. I don’t know how many more games college kids should/can play but we definitely need a system to get more teams into the playoffs in a fun way. Especially non power 5 and PAC.

Enough of the “eye test.”

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I like this. I don’t know how many more games college kids should/can play but we definitely need a system to get more teams into the playoffs in a fun way. Especially non power 5 and PAC.

Enough of the “eye test.”
Get rid of a lousy OOC game, did anyone miss watching them? Give the non P5 another playoff system that replicates the current CFP. The money generated from this could replace the money lost from being practice dummies for that OOC game and bring excitement to their fan base. Cut the bowls back where you need at least 7 wins to participate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT