ADVERTISEMENT

Changes in the game: interesting video

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
I came across a full video of the Cats playing the very good 1988-89 Illini team (Kenny Battle, Nick Anderson, Kendall Gill and Steven Bardo) in Evanston in January 1989. Illinois was ranked number 2 at the time, and ended up #3, losing to Michigan in the semis of the tournament. I remembered the game fairly accurately; The Cats played a tremendous game but just came up a little short.

Outside of seeing an excellent effort, I was struck by how the 3-point shot was starting to change how teams played, but how the changes were still in the early stages. At one point Quinn Buckner, who was the commentator, after Jeff Grose hit a transition 3, said something like "you're starting to see good shooters shoot 3 pointers on fast breaks". Both team set their offenses well within the 3-point line, but there started to be a few kick outs to the better shooters. What really struck me, though was that it appeared that most players used a higher release point on their jump shots compared to current players. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this change. Assuming it is true, I would guess that when the longest shot taken was 15 feet or less, getting the shot quickly over the defender was more important than having the base to deliver a longer shot with a higher arc and more backspin. The shots generally had a lower trajectory. Is anyone aware of any trend in coaching the reflected this change, or, assuming its true, did it just evolve as the value of 3 point shots became apparent?

Some things that stuck out to me:

I'd forgotten there was a time when a foul wasn't called on every possession.

We put all 5 guys in for rebounding during ILL free throws (not even allowed anymore).

Lambiotte (spelling?) could play!

The backdoor pass was in full effect for us that game!

We truly were an "ivy"-like team competing in the B10. The athletic difference was monumental.

there were so many heartbreaking and close losses that season. but you are so right virginia - the Glenn Robinson, Glen Rice, jimmy jackson, Kenny Battle, really had their way versus walker lambiotte, don brotz, and jeff gross' of the world. Good players (great for NU) but not comparable to the dominant athletes throughout the bigten.

That's awesome! That was my freshman year. In fact, if the video quality was a little better, you might be able to see me. I worked in the SI office then and sat at the scorer's table for all the games. That might be me over the last E in Northwestern, but can't tell for sure.

As for the 3-point shot, that was an interesting time because it was just coming into the college game. We did not have it in high school and so most of us grew up playing the game never bothering to work on shots over 20 feet long. That was a bad shot when I was growing up. It became evident when about 20 years later I would play pick-up basketball with kids half my age. One thing I noticed is that the younger guys were so much more comfortable shooting the 3 than I was. They grew up shooting nothing but.

I came across a full video of the Cats playing the very good 1988-89 Illini team (Kenny Battle, Nick Anderson, Kendall Gill and Steven Bardo) in Evanston in January 1989. Illinois was ranked number 2 at the time, and ended up #3, losing to Michigan in the semis of the tournament. I remembered the game fairly accurately; The Cats played a tremendous game but just came up a little short.

Outside of seeing an excellent effort, I was struck by how the 3-point shot was starting to change how teams played, but how the changes were still in the early stages. At one point Quinn Buckner, who was the commentator, after Jeff Grose hit a transition 3, said something like "you're starting to see good shooters shoot 3 pointers on fast breaks". Both team set their offenses well within the 3-point line, but there started to be a few kick outs to the better shooters. What really struck me, though was that it appeared that most players used a higher release point on their jump shots compared to current players. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this change. Assuming it is true, I would guess that when the longest shot taken was 15 feet or less, getting the shot quickly over the defender was more important than having the base to deliver a longer shot with a higher arc and more backspin. The shots generally had a lower trajectory. Is anyone aware of any trend in coaching the reflected this change, or, assuming its true, did it just evolve as the value of 3 point shots became apparent?

I think you're on to something eastbay. When I played in the 70s and early 80s, elevation on your jump shot from inside 20 feet was everything. My release point was consistently at rim level. Could never have done that from where kids are shooting today. Now you've got the step back move to get separation, defenses with much longer athletes on the perimeter and the necessity of defending nearly every inch of the floor inside half court. EVERYBODY can shoot from 25 feet out these days. All of those factors have changed the game. Your observation on how the jump shot has evolved amid these changes is spot on and appreciated.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT