ADVERTISEMENT

"Chats-with-himself" was right about Law

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
I was pretty surprised how little attention Law was given after yesterday's game. The single chatter may have been babbling to himself, but he's the only one who even mentioned Law's incredible game.

Five of six from three!!

Also, Glynn Watson was averaging 20+ ppg in the conference, and Law shut him down.

Reactions: lunker35
I was pretty surprised how little attention Law was given after yesterday's game. The single chatter may have been babbling to himself, but he's the only one who even mentioned Law's incredible game.

Five of six from three!!

Also, Glynn Watson was averaging 20+ ppg in the conference, and Law shut him down.
And after the game Collins commented that Law was battling a sinus infection and hadn't practiced the 2 days after the Minny game. Makes his performance even more impressive.

Law had a great game. One of the big differences from the Minnesota game was who had the open looks. Against Neb, Law and Lindsey had them, not just Skelly. That's usually going to be a good sign.

We also played pretty good defense, whether Lumpkin was on the floor or not. Law was a big part of that too.

Five of six from three!!

Probably because no one else could get a word/post in.

Take a look at Law's full season statistics....he's a stat sheet stuffer.

The speculation pre season on "will Law return to his former level..." and "we don't know if Law will take a step" was some of the stupidest stuff I've read in the NU basketball community.

His defense, the entire team's is consistently above average all 40 minutes.

The speculation pre season on "will Law return to his former level..." and "we don't know if Law will take a step" was some of the stupidest stuff I've read in the NU basketball community.

Law IMO is the best two way player on the team by a lot. He did look a little gassed throughout the game and guess the sinus problem have been the cause. Still he always has a uncomfortable look on his face but I'll take the look, along with the production.

Reactions: Medill90

I don't think that talk was stupid... plenty of players who suffer season long injuries come back less than full strength. But it's been very clear since the start of the year that not only did he come back at 100%, he's now a much better and more well rounded player. He and Scottie have been the difference for us this year to offset the struggles Mac has had and the thin depth up front due to Pardon's injury, along with elite defense in some key games by Sanjay.

Nearly all of our players seem to be developing and coming back better after the offseason - Tap and Skelly too, and Pardon is showing his stuff now that he's healthy. That's a good sign about the quality of the coaching staff and the players' work ethic, great to see.

Five of six from three!!

Ash is our best defender. He needs to play 20-25 minutes.

Totally agree about Law, but would add a shout out to the defense in general. As ugly as the O was against minnie, we only lost by 4 points. That was a great defensive performance also. The biggest upside is how well we might be able to blend O and D, especially if we start using the post regularly instead of ignoring it most of the time. However, Law is our best player no matter who the shooter de' jour is.

Reactions: NUCats
I don't think that talk was stupid... plenty of players who suffer season long injuries come back less than full strength. But it's been very clear since the start of the year that not only did he come back at 100%, he's now a much better and more well rounded player. He and Scottie have been the difference for us this year to offset the struggles Mac has had and the thin depth up front due to Pardon's injury, along with elite defense in some key games by Sanjay.

Nearly all of our players seem to be developing and coming back better after the offseason - Tap and Skelly too, and Pardon is showing his stuff now that he's healthy. That's a good sign about the quality of the coaching staff and the players' work ethic, great to see.

Maybe he didn't come back at 100% :). Maybe this is only 75%. Let's dream about that one for a few minutes.

If that is a reference to me, I will readily admit that I thought it was a question mark whether he would rebound from the injury. He has and then some. I never said he would or would not, only that I felt it was a question mark. I still feel it was a fair pre-season concern.

Now, any clear MVP? Lindsey was hot out of the gate. Law has been consistently solid. Mac was the preseason favorite - he seems to slowly be coming around. This is really a fun season for NU BB.

If that is a reference to me, I will readily admit that I thought it was a question mark whether he would rebound from the injury. He has and then some. I never said he would or would not, only that I felt it was a question mark. I still feel it was a fair pre-season concern.

Now, any clear MVP? Lindsey was hot out of the gate. Law has been consistently solid. Mac was the preseason favorite - he seems to slowly be coming around. This is really a fun season for NU BB.
Part of that is having a year under his belt. Plus two years of physical development. Could he still be behind where he would be without the injury as a Jr? Sure. But still likely around or a little better than he would have been as a Soph and he still has another potential 2 years here.

To me it is BMac. There is no viable back-up or combination of guys who could take up the slack if he is injured. He hasn't been the best player ( I'd put SL first and VLJ second), but if MVP really means valuable then he is my clear choice.

I have to completely agree. Without BMac we just cannot win. Hopefully his performance will improve somewhat, but I still think he is the most valuable.

If that is a reference to me, I will readily admit that I thought it was a question mark whether he would rebound from the injury.

Not specific to you.

Law played his best freshman ball against the stiffest competition: the second half of the conference schedule. He went from an inefficient three point shooter to top 10 in the big ten in terms of %. And the surgery was routine.

Fall of '15, other conference players voted him as one of the breakout candidates and Collins never backed off his role as the team leader (I thought Collins erred by putting too much pressure on him as a freshman).

And then, unique to the NU bball community, there was a chorus that questioned his future contribution which just didn't compute.

Man, you're really savaging me over one back-and-forth where I said I wasn't sure he was a star, because he'd had a good half-season.

https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/anyone-wanna-play-the-minutes-game.28558/

If that's the stupidest stuff - what about the part where I wrote Lindsey wouldn't play significant minutes. Hoooooo baby!

(I also said he's the #2 player on the team - he's probably been the best player, though not the most valuable, for reasons listed above. I also said he needed 12-14 and 5-7 to make this a tourney team. And holy bejesus, he's 13.8 and 5.9 - basically what I required. Wowee zowee!)

Rutgers is a bunch of bitches.

(Wowee zowee! I'm old.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
Law’s image as a “star” may suffer from the impression he gives as a smooth and steady competitor, an all-around contributor, a “glue guy". Not normally flashy, not usually a “take over the game” type, he just keeps appearing where he needs to be to make a play, nail a shot, or grab a rebound.

He reminds me of a great one, Sidney Moncrief, whom I watched for years 3 decades ago, and always knew he could be counted on to do whatever was needed in the game circumstances.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/moncrief_bio.html

Law’s image as a “star” may suffer from the impression he gives as a smooth and steady competitor, an all-around contributor, a “glue guy". Not normally flashy, not usually a “take over the game” type, he just keeps appearing where he needs to be to make a play, nail a shot, or grab a rebound.

He reminds me of a great one, Sidney Moncrief, whom I watched for years 3 decades ago, and always knew he could be counted on to do whatever was needed in the game circumstances.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/moncrief_bio.html
If Vic grows into another Moncrief, I think we'd all be good with that.

Man, you're really savaging me over one back-and-forth where I said I wasn't sure he was a star, because he'd had a good half-season.

https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/anyone-wanna-play-the-minutes-game.28558/

If that's the stupidest stuff - what about the part where I wrote Lindsey wouldn't play significant minutes. Hoooooo baby!

(I also said he's the #2 player on the team - he's probably been the best player, though not the most valuable, for reasons listed above. I also said he needed 12-14 and 5-7 to make this a tourney team. And holy bejesus, he's 13.8 and 5.9 - basically what I required. Wowee zowee!)

Rutgers is a bunch of bitches.

(Wowee zowee! I'm old.)

My apologies 320, I was painting with a broad brush which is never advisable.

When I wrote "community" I was pointing elsewhere....not toward anyone on this board.

My apologies 320, I was painting with a broad brush which is never advisable.

When I wrote "community" I was pointing elsewhere....not toward anyone on this board.
I promise, I'm unhurt.

I just hope, come next October, you've convinced yourself that Vic is an all American and a certain top five pick (but after his senior year). Such is your understanding of this young superstar's game.

Reactions: ricko654321
I promise, I'm unhurt.

I just hope, come next October, you've convinced yourself that Vic is an all American and a certain top five pick (but after his senior year). Such is your understanding of this young superstar's game.

If it's October and I don't think that NU has two or three All Americans, compete for the conference championship and make the tournament I will have taken seriously ill.

Reactions: NUCat320
I got to go with Law as best pro prospect. Bmac carries the team on his shoulders and is a great passer! Scottie Lindsey seems right up there! I think all three get BT honors of some sort,but right now,I got Vic Law as first team All Big Ten! Not just for shooting,but for defense,and no one,and I mean no one,can get to the rim like Law! He has Pro moves for sure!

I got to go with Law as best pro prospect. Bmac carries the team on his shoulders and is a great passer! Scottie Lindsey seems right up there! I think all three get BT honors of some sort,but right now,I got Vic Law as first team All Big Ten! Not just for shooting,but for defense,and no one,and I mean no one,can get to the rim like Law! He has Pro moves for sure!
He has been stuffed a lot when he goes to the rim. He has a skill set that others don't

He has been stuffed a lot when he goes to the rim. He has a skill set that others don't
He needs to get stronger and he needs to be more creative in finishing. He's not the only guy in college that can jump (although no one jumps higher or more quickly on rebounds than him). He could really learn a lot from Brown who is very good at getting into the defender's body to draw fouls. I expect that Law will make a big jump next year in his offensive game and he's already starting at a pretty good place. We are really fortunate, though, to have a guy that athletic who cares as much about defense and rebounding as scoring. I think he will be a great leader when BMac and Lindsey graduate next year.

Lindsey gets to the rim quite well he's the best scorer on the team. Law is the best all around player on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT