ADVERTISEMENT

Clayton @ Combine

Interesting to compare wingspan and arm length*

Thorson’s got shorter arms but equivalent wingspan to Stidham. I don’t know about you, but I like a quarterback with a broad upper body — and Thorson’s got Stidham there, by 1 6/8 inches.

*not actually interesting

But I appreciate that you shared, corbi

Reactions: PlowKing2
Just an absolutely horrendous question off the bat in that interview Corbi just posted

I was watching live. He looked good. Threw an easy deep ball and was accurate all day. Consistent accuracy is Clayton’s biggest question mark. If he can show improvement in that area, he’s got a shot at being a good NFL QB.

I was watching live. He looked good. Threw an easy deep ball and was accurate all day. Consistent accuracy is Clayton’s biggest question mark. If he can show improvement in that area, he’s got a shot at being a good NFL QB.

NFL QB coaches will see the flashes and think they can “coach em up.” Still think he comes off the board earlier than many thing.

But was very wrong on Welcing, so... dunno.

Yeah, I happened to catch most of Thorson's time. He, Stidham and Minshew were in a tier, and the rest were below. I didn't see Haskins.

Thorson's deep balls were perfect, but maybe more encouraging was missing a throw on a 15-yard post route. The coach on the field told him to adjust something, he did, and the next two were on the money.

Yeah, I happened to catch most of Thorson's time. He, Stidham and Minshew were in a tier, and the rest were below. I didn't see Haskins.

Thorson's deep balls were perfect, but maybe more encouraging was missing a throw on a 15-yard post route. The coach on the field told him to adjust something, he did, and the next two were on the money.

I noticed this as well

Reactions: rwhitney014
He'd pray that he drinks draino......
Yeah, I know.

But I actually don’t think he would. That’s what I like about Clayton. He is humble and I think this is in large part because of his faith.

Yet we have a fan message board where somehow we see veiled pot shots at our own players because of their religious beliefs?

What a great message this sends about how we treat others different from us, whether it be religion, gender, race, political persuasion, etc.

Clayton won’t be here to defend himself on this so I just thought someone should.

NFL QB coaches will see the flashes and think they can “coach em up.” Still think he comes off the board earlier than many thing.

But was very wrong on Welcing, so... dunno.
I think you are right. I’m thinking first three rounds. There always seems to be a an inflated market for QBs.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

I think the question on Clayton is not whether he can make every throw but whether he can do so in game action with accuracy and good decision making. He has the arm talent.

Great to hear how he's performing.

I don't think anyone ever questioned the gifts. It's one thing to make throws in a drill. I also wondered what people were talking about when they said he had a questionable arm. I think he can make all the throws.

The question is, as torquecat noted, what happens when you have pressure all over you in live game action, which is where we got the results that we got - moments of sheer brilliance (e.g. the Nebraska drive), but also moments where things just stalled in maddeningly frustrating fashion (e.g. Rutgers). Consistency and decision making has a tendency to take a beating when your line can't fend off the rush and your WRs can't get separation. On the plus side, his time at NU in a somewhat twisted way, hopefully prepared him for what is coming at the next level. Many of the other QBs never had to play with the OL he had, and many also had much more gifted receivers to throw to, so it's not fair to compare. I suppose that's the nature of some of the analyst comments about the weak supporting cast. If that allows teams to forgive him for what can only be described as middling performance on the field, relatively speaking to the other QBs discussed for the 2nd day, then I'll take it.

It's heartening to see him do well at the combine. I'm rooting for him to make it to the 2nd day, and it certainly seems like he's performing well enough for that.

I really loved seeing those throws yesterday. Hitting a receiver in stride wasn’t what we saw a lot of the last few years. At this point, I really hope he can just blow away everyone and rise as high as possible.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I really loved seeing those throws yesterday. Hitting a receiver in stride wasn’t what we saw a lot of the last few years. At this point, I really hope he can just blow away everyone and rise as high as possible.
Going as high as the second round would certainly catch the attention of some 2020 QB recruits.

Other than the 2020 QB already committed to NU??
Maybe, but OK, you got me, how about 2021. Let's say Hunter plays 2019 and 2020 and does as well as we think he can, he will likely go in the 1st or 2nd round. That will be an impressive string or QB success.
Even as I think the program has improved, I don't see us having some breakthrough season where we are suddenly a perennial top ten team. I think it will take more of the continual grinding at incremental improvement that we have seen. A string of successful QBs would be a big deal.
I'm really hoping for some victories over the name schools on our schedule this year. I feel like that is the next hurdle. We really need to beat Stanford or OSU this season.
I digress from the OP.

Wonder if the coach on the field that suggested the adjustment was Kafka? Now that would be fitting.

A string of successful QBs would be a big deal..
I think NU fans underestimate how good QB play has been. Since 2000, NU has had the following QBs who led the team in passing:

Kustok
Basanez
Bacher
Kafka
Persa
Siemian
Thorson

Not a bad QB in the last 19 seasons. QB has not been the problem for winning at NU.

I think NU fans underestimate how good QB play has been. Since 2000, NU has had the following QBs who led the team in passing:

Kustok
Basanez
Bacher
Kafka
Persa
Siemian
Thorson

Not a bad QB in the last 19 seasons. QB has not been the problem for winning at NU.

Correct. In the early Fitz years, it was the lack of a stout defense. In more recent years, it has been the lack of consistent O-line play and a lack of playmakers at wide receiver (Carr being the lone exception). The latter may be changing with some of the recent recruits; hopefully Anderson can do something about the former.

^ And for a stretch, not having a threat at RB btwn Sutton and Mark.

Which has to do w/ being consistent in his footwork.

How good of a QB CT will be in the NFL will come down to his ability to read defenses and how quickly he can process what he sees after the snap, and having the right person as his OC.

Agree w Stink that the bad FO's make too much of the measurables.

Kustok
Basanez
Bacher
Kafka
Persa
Siemian
Thorson

One glaring omission that I totally understand and emphatically agree with, but still glaring nonetheless.

Reactions: Cardiacagoan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT