ADVERTISEMENT

Clifton Moore

A good article on late bloomer Clifton Moore <---. Apparently an under-the-radar type playing for a small program and a nondescript AAU team. Top offers seem to be Indy, NU, Ole Miss and BC...was a 6-3 guard as a HS frosh, now is 6-10, but may retain some guard skills (for his size). Intriguing!
BUT, do keep in mind that Crean may soon be hired by a decent program, and Moore may be inclined to follow him!
Below is a scouting video (not exactly a highlights video):

I would be surprised if Crean landed anywhere decent this year. He publicly threw his team under the bus after a loss-- not a quality ADs have been known to salivate over....

I would be surprised if Crean landed anywhere decent this year. He publicly threw his team under the bus after a loss-- not a quality ADs have been known to salivate over....

1) He was right when he said his team was soft.
2) The guy won the Big 10 last season. He will get another job.

Having said that, there aren't many "decent" jobs available (Cal and OK State are the only decent Power conference jobs). I suspect Crean will wait for the right opportunity. I don't expect to see him at Drake or Austin Peay anytime soon!

Last edited:
LSU is a bad basketball school. There are two revenue sports for the Tigers: Football, and Spring Football..
Ever heard of a fellow by the name of Dale Brown? He coached there 25 years, winning 448 games and appearing in 13 NCAA Tournaments, including a couple of F4.
I supposed BkB was pretty big at LSU at the time (his tenure ended in the late 90's). Their most recent F4 was about 10 years ago. Last won the league in 2009.
The point is that with the right coach, BkB can be big enough there.

Ever heard of a fellow by the name of Dale Brown? He coached there 25 years, winning 448 games and appearing in 13 NCAA Tournaments, including a couple of F4.
I supposed BkB was pretty big at LSU at the time (his tenure ended in the late 90's). Their most recent F4 was about 10 years ago. Last won the league in 2009.

Dale Brown last coached at LSU 20 years ago and was 10-20 in his final season. He was a great "LSU" coach though, even if in his last 4 years he won 10, 12, 12 and 11 games. Carmody would have been a step up! In his last 11 seasons he never went further in the NCAA tournament than NU did this year.

Not to mention that's where Ben Simmons went. Shaq. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.

Moore asked to be released from his letter of intent to Indiana. Has an offer from Northwestern.

Moore is a 6'10" 195 lb forward from Pennsylvania. He's ranked #126 in the country and is a four star.

Kelly, any idea on our chances to land him?

Dale Brown last coached at LSU 20 years ago and was 10-20 in his final season. He was a great "LSU" coach though, even if in his last 4 years he won 10, 12, 12 and 11 games. Carmody would have been a step up! In his last 11 seasons he never went further in the NCAA tournament than NU did this year.
He must have done far better in the previous 21 years, right? Otherwise, how on earth would he win 400+ games overall? And he did reach the NCAA's 13 times including a couple of F4.
Anyhow, their most recent F4 and league crown were of course under other coaches. Point being, it's a "decent" BkB program (I did not say it was a powerhouse). The coach can make it more or less strong, of course, depending on his own work.

Moore's final six last Fall ...

CspyojWWIAEDQPy.jpg

Reading the linked article, it seems the frustration of playing somewhat disorganized ball in HS has him interested in programs that run system offenses that can create opportunities to score. I don't know anything, but something here feels like this could be a break for NU. Could CCC close out this class with Moore and Smith?

1) He was right when he said his team was soft.
2) The guy won the Big 10 last season. He will get another job.

Having said that, there aren't many "decent" jobs available (Cal and OK State are the only decent Power conference jobs). I suspect Crean will wait for the right opportunity. I don't expect to see him at Drake or Austin Peay anytime soon!
Total pipe dream, but...
Crean should sit out a year, then go to DePaul. I wonder if Leitao will be allowed a third season with single-digit wins, especially in the new gym.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to watch Crean fail so close to NU?

I seem to remember they had a few decent players, one that comes to mind is an undersized center named Shaquille O'Neill. Also, Jamie Brandon, a CPS legend from King, attended LSU.

You realize NU will have 5 guards next season: McIntosh, Lindsey, Brown, Ash and Gaines? Right now there are only 11 scholarship players and almost half are Guards!
Ash has not earned a spot in the rotation. Gaines is, of course, unproven, and BMac & Lindsey are gone after next year. Yes, we need guards. Not that we're in any position to look past a 4-star big man, but right now guards should be a priority for 2018, and any remaining spots in 2017.

Ash has not earned a spot in the rotation. Gaines is, of course, unproven, and BMac & Lindsey are gone after next year. Yes, we need guards. Not that we're in any position to look past a 4-star big man, but right now guards should be a priority for 2018, and any remaining spots in 2017.

My point is, you only have 13 scholarships, and ideally you'd have 5 Guards, 5 Forwards and 3 Centers. OK, Ash and Gaines aren't proven, but Collins always says NU is a developmental program. Lindsey wasn't proven this time last year after 2 seasons either!

My point is, you only have 13 scholarships, and ideally you'd have 5 Guards, 5 Forwards and 3 Centers. OK, Ash and Gaines aren't proven, but Collins always says NU is a developmental program. Lindsey wasn't proven this time last year after 2 seasons either!
Oh, come on! Lindsey averaged 19 minutes a game and 6 points per game as a sophomore. Ash averaged 3 minutes per game and 0.6 points per game. By all reports Ash is a great teammate and a fine young man, but the two are not comparable. We can get away with not securing another guard in the 2017 class, but it will make us more desperate than we want to be going into the 2018 recruiting season.

Thought it's been reported that Gaines is more of 3 and certainly not a 1. Ash looks to be a bench guy and Brown a lot of improvement in his ball handling and decision making to handle the 1.

Thought it's been reported that Gaines is more of 3 and certainly not a 1. Ash looks to be a bench guy and Brown a lot of improvement in his ball handling and decision making to handle the 1.

Watching his tape, Gaines looks like an ideal plug in at the 2 spot. I think we'd ideally like a bit more size at the 3, like Justin Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT