ADVERTISEMENT

Collins Interview

A poster in the twitterverse is already calling Collins' comments ludicrous and hypocritical, and calling Collins an asshole. LOL So funny!

A poster in the twitterverse is already calling Collins' comments ludicrous and hypocritical, and calling Collins an asshole. LOL So funny!

Did we need to know? Maybe we choose not to follow such people and then we come here and you're reporting on it just to stir the pot.

Reactions: JournCat
Did we need to know? Maybe we choose not to follow such people and then we come here and you're reporting on it just to stir the pot.

I find stuff funny and I comment on it.

I guess I'll check with you next time I post something....or not. ;)

I find stuff funny and I comment on it.

I guess I'll check with you next time I post something....or not. ;)

That's that mike webb person's duty. I'm just saying, you know what you're doing and it's not constructive. I'm not entirely sure that those Twitter people will be happy if NU makes the tournament under Collins. They will say, "Yeah but at what price?" To me, unless Collins has been committing capital crimes, I will be so excited to make the tournament. I don't consider the transfers out to be indicative of a "price" and if it is true that our admissions for sports have been eased a bit, I'm already on record saying that's great.

But yeah the people you're mentioning will always complain because they were in love with ... well, you know. I'm not sure why Collins is their target when he didn't have anything to do with his predecessor's dismissal.

This! I don't get his fascination with people he obviously loathes. I could care less what some people post on twitter given that my reaction to Collins has been mostly positive. Different strokes I guess.......

I enjoy calling out the idiots that take shots at our team and coach. I find it hilarious that they're so incredibly butthurt that they're calling our current coach an "asshole". Collins might be many things, but he's definitely not an asshole. I also know they watch this forum religiously...which makes it even more fun. I'm more than willing to debate their hatred of NU hoops with them in a reasonable manner, but they're too scared to actually post anything here. Too bad, because it would actually be interesting to see them try to actually explain their opinions rationally. That won't stop me from trying to bait them into a conversation on occasion when they say something as funny as calling our coach an asshole. It's not like there's a thousand other active threads here at the moment (you can definitely tell it's the offseason).

I'm more than willing to debate their hatred of NU hoops with them in a reasonable manner, but they're too scared to actually post anything here. Too bad, because it would actually be interesting to see them try to actually explain their opinions rationally.

I don't think the words "reasonable manner" and "debate" are ever used in conjunction with your user name and those guys' user names.

I listened to the interview and came away impressed. There will be a lot of reading the tea leaves (why did he mention some players, not mention others).

The biggest takeaway for me is that he seems to know exactly where this team is at in terms of talent level, competitiveness and road to being a top third big ten team.

Which is to say still a fair bit away.

I have difficulty with technology so this is the second half of my post.

I thought he said some interesting things around transfers.

Something I hadn't thought about is that the graduate transfer rules may encourage some coaches to slow-walk some players' academic achievement. However, in schools where this is the case it's my guess that the players aren't choosing the school to get a degree. So, interesting but more data and analysis needed.

He also said something to the effect that while players are restricted from transferring by having to sit a year out, not allowed to transfer to other teams and so forth, coaches are also restricted because they have to pony up a buyout oftentimes to change teams mid contract. This is nonsense.

If the NCAA and others want to make this argument then simply allow the schools to which a player transfers to make a buyout payment. That's about equivalent to the coach's buyout scenario.

I thought Collins was thoroughly impressive. I really liked the line that pretty much everyone gets that the team is on the way up except the kids at InsideNU.

The biggest takeaway for me is that he seems to know exactly where this team is at in terms of talent level, competitiveness and road to being a top third big ten team.

Which is to say still a fair bit away.

I thought his comment about this season's record supports you take.....he aid they could win just 18 games and be a better team than last year's 20 win squad. Seems like he is trying to set reasonable expectations.

He also said something to the effect that while players are restricted from transferring by having to sit a year out, not allowed to transfer to other teams and so forth, coaches are also restricted because they have to pony up a buyout oftentimes to change teams mid contract. This is nonsense.

I don't get how having to sit out a year restricts players. They are getting a scholarship while they sit, so it isn't like it is costing them money. To date, 632 players have announced their intention to transfer according to VerbalCommits.com, the equivalent of almost 60 full teams. So sitting out a year can't be that bad of a deal.

And I thought his frame of reference about coaches buy-outs was telling. He said "7 figures", which puts it in the millions of dollars. True for the power 5 conferences and some of the other like Big East, but the bar is far lower for mid-majors and low majors, which is where most of the movement occurs.

I don't get how having to sit out a year restricts players. They are getting a scholarship while they sit, so it isn't like it is costing them money. To date, 632 players have announced their intention to transfer according to VerbalCommits.com, the equivalent of almost 60 full teams. So sitting out a year can't be that bad of a deal.

I don't understand why the NCAA and the schools get to make that decision with no input from the players. If playing is a priority to players, the rule may lead them to stay at a school that is not a good fit. What justifies that? It's a rule built for and by the schools.

I don't understand why the NCAA and the schools get to make that decision with no input from the players. If playing is a priority to players, the rule may lead them to stay at a school that is not a good fit. What justifies that? It's a rule built for and by the schools.

They get 4 years of playing whether they stay at their original school or transfer. A player usually transfers if they actually aren't playing enough, moving to a place that better fits their talent.

I actually think a player should have 1 "free" transfer where they don't have to sit a year. But sitting a year and still getting 4 years of eligibility ain't exactly a hardship, given that at most schools (not NU) even non-athletes need at least 5 years to get their degree........

They get 4 years of playing whether they stay at their original school or transfer. A player usually transfers if they actually aren't playing enough, moving to a place that better fits their talent.

I actually think a player should have 1 "free" transfer where they don't have to sit a year. But sitting a year and still getting 4 years of eligibility ain't exactly a hardship, given that at most schools (not NU) even non-athletes need at least 5 years to get their degree........

OK, then do the same for coaches. One free job change if they leave a school that still has their recruits. But from the second change on, they need to sit a year.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

That would worry me because I could see some of the top level programs tell recruits that they don't have a spot for them, but if they go to school X and play well for that first year, they then may take them the following year. I could just see your proposed system be majorly abused.

You would've been ok with every coach in the country being on campus trying to recruit Shurna following his sophomore year? What about football? Tyrell Sutton didn't get the OSU offer. He could've had it following his freshman season. Prepared to see him take a walk? I see a system of big time programs and feeder schools developing.

What about the other scenario? Could you see this backfiring against players? How many coaches will tell a player to take his transfer if there's a better player out there? Creaning a player who has to sit out a year is a move few coaches would do. Creaning a guy who can just pick a different school and pick up right away, that's no biggie.

I don't like the system that forces players to stay but allows for a coach to walk. I see the 1 free transfer thing only benefiting large programs and they don't need the help.

OK, then do the same for coaches. One free job change if they leave a school that still has their recruits. But from the second change on, they need to sit a year.

Coaches hold a professional job. The players are (in theory) amateurs.

Not making players sit out a year would absolutely destroy college athletics as we know it. Every time a bad team had a player that shines, he'd be playing for a powerhouse the following year. Players would be switching around at a ridiculous rate, opening up their services at the end of every season. A team like Northwestern would never see success because it's best players would constantly be poached. It'd be a nightmare...

I was at a party / bbq yesterday and talking to some guy who claimed he went to high school with CCC. He kept talking about how Collins was going to recruit great players to NU. So I said, you means guys like "Vic Law, Aaron Falzon, and hopefully Njoel Eastern?"

"No. I am talking top 100-type players."

Face. Palm.

Coaches hold a professional job. The players are (in theory) amateurs.

Not making players sit out a year would absolutely destroy college athletics as we know it. Every time a bad team had a player that shines, he'd be playing for a powerhouse the following year. Players would be switching around at a ridiculous rate, opening up their services at the end of every season. A team like Northwestern would never see success because it's best players would constantly be poached. It'd be a nightmare...
You don't think this kind of stuff goes on already? When Jared Allen was at Idaho State, he had major programs like USC trying to poach him. He was set to transfer there, but his dad told him he was going to finish he started at Idaho State.

You don't think this kind of stuff goes on already? When Jared Allen was at Idaho State, he had major programs like USC trying to poach him. He was set to transfer there, but his dad told him he was going to finish he started at Idaho State.
Yes, with a 1 year transfer penalty it's still happening... Imagine if you got rid of the penalty.

You don't think it would be a MILLION times worse without the 1-year transfer rule? C'mon...

You don't think it would be a MILLION times worse without the 1-year transfer rule? C'mon...
"Worse" is a qualitative word that depends on your perspective. I have no problem with athletes transferring if they so desire. I do think the NCAA needs to keep in place rules that prohibit other schools from recruiting athletes who are already enrolled in another institution unless those students declare their intention to transfer, whereby they'd be back on the open market. (Despite the fact those rules get circumvented all the time).

I thought the interview with Collins was excellent. He was very candid and said that he had to adjust his coaching style to his players' talents over the first couple of years. He would have rather not played zone as much in his first three years but his team did not have the size or quickness to guard teams by going man to man. He wants an uptempo team and to create turnovers and easy baskets. He mentioned McIntosh, Law and Brown as playmakers. Then those playmakers can find shooters like Falzon and Lindsey for threes.

I can't get enough interviews with Chris Collins! I find him to be very honest and straightforward. He gives "coachspeak" sometimes, but all coaches do.

I had the opportunity to meet him last year, and it was a pretty big deal for me.

They also didn't inquire about the progress of any players. Many of the questions they asked were just 'cute' and of no interest to me. Some were just rehashing old stuff discussed in prior interviews. It was entertaining but lacking in the kind of info fans really want to hear.

Those guys had an entire hour with CCC yet didn't ask about the Vasser situation.

Guess they don't read this board.

When they asked for questions on Facebook and Twitter, I specifically requested that they ask about the Vassar situation...we see how that went.

Probably one of the ground rules before the interview... Makes the Vasser issue even more curious.

Collins said that at NU, they honor a scholarship offer for 4 years while at other schools they don't. I think he might be referring to other Big 10 schools (eg Creaning).

Collins said that at NU, they honor a scholarship offer for 4 years while at other schools they don't. I think he might be referring to other Big 10 schools (eg Creaning).

Indiana also offers 4-year scholarships instead of 1-year renewable scholarships.

Here's what Bushnell said in April about the Vassar situation.

"Most of the Vassar stuff is unreportable. Neither side [Bushnell's italics, not mine] wants it to be made public, so it is likely not going to be made public. We will continue to report everything we are able to report."

The athletic department has long forced student reporters to abide by an unwritten code of what they will/won't report. I can think of specific times Fitz froze out student reporters when I was at NU. Stuff that is actually news gets leaked to a favored reporter or, honestly, on a message board. This isn't Baylor-level nefarious or even unique to NU. It is frustrating to anyone who wants to learn actual facts about the team.

Maybe someone from the athletic department told them not to ask about personnel changes, in which case they should have made that clear at the top of the podcast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT